Julia Holter - Ekstasis

What Do You Think?
RATE:
Jun 2, 2016
Raincoat
I've always said I love this album but after listening to it just now... I'm not sure if I actually like it as an album or just because it's Julia Holter. "Ekstasis" is an interesting, subtle album, but perhaps a bit too subtle: it's hard to properly engage with, and only small features of each song are memorable. Perhaps I'll change my mind on this album again in the future but for now I'm not so sure.

Highlights: "Moni Mon Amie", "This Is Ekstasis"
Oct 1, 2015
SiberianBreaks
It's like one of those dreams you instantly forget as you wake up. There's just nothing to grab on to under all the cloudy atmosphere created on here.

Favourite tracks: Marienbad, Moni mon amie
Sep 28, 2015
EMR
Her poetry shines among sparse, almost ambient instrumentals on this record, rarely manifesting itself as a true gem, despite its undeniable potential and Julia Holter's high musical intellingence that shows up throughout the album's lenght. There are some interesting and creative moments in Ekstasis, most of them in the form of obtuse and very contained, subtle soundscapes (maybe too subtle sometimes) that bring out all of the Kate Bush influences on her work. The later half sounds slightly ... read more
Jan 6, 2013
Another example of the glorious fusion of natural and electronic sounds we're hearing from all directions these days. This is what I like to think of as graduate student music. Mature, complex, and beautiful.

USERS WHO LIKE Ekstasis ALSO LIKE