AOTY 2017
The xx - Coexist
Coexist
Oct 16, 2016
TCG1974
The first album was a pleasant surprise, this one was also pleasant, but without the surprise element it becomes kind of dull
Jun 4, 2013
simpsonIan
A more-than-just-solid follow-up to their striking 2009 debut. If you fault COEXIST for not braving much new territory, then at least give the mega-talented duo cred for providing a sparkling rejuvenation to a facet of electro-pop that has been worked into the ground by far-less inspired acts. (Admittedly, I pondered: if the entire album had taken unexpected flight the way that the rapturous "Swept Away" does, COEXIST might have been one for the books.)
Sep 9, 2012
JustinSlick
Not exactly *bad* music, but after their s/t this is disappointing.
Jun 5, 2014
kennethlovesmus
another amazing album by the XX.
Jan 16, 2017
The quintessential "hipster indie kid" album. I remember when this came out that it was jerked off on all over tumblr, people practically fetishized oil spills and this perfectly symmetrical x logo.
With all of that aside, none of the music on Coexist is special at all. Absolutely none of it improves on what was initially presented on xx, and it actually got even more bland and lifeless. I'm not gonna act like this is an absolutely terrible project, but it is a shame to see that ... read more
Jan 13, 2017
Everything I said about their debut applies to this one too, only worse this time.
Dec 25, 2016
thethirdverse
cool concept, but most of it feels like a rehashing of their first record, but like less interesting. it's a good thing that sonically this thing is as good as their debut.

best: angels, reunion, sunset, tides, swept away
worst: chained, fiction
Sep 9, 2017
aaron
Fiction
Jul 5, 2017
letitbelau
Great album for introspection and relaxing. I am utterly in love with the instrumental background mixed with quiet and melodic voices. It's sort of melancholic, romantic and highly intimate. In addition, the pauses within the beats of most of the songs make it more meaningful but at the middle-end of the album, it starts to feel quite slow and it's difficult to differentiate.

Best: Angels, Try

Jan 27, 2017
.... The XCXO...
Jan 16, 2017
cshults
It's a good album, but nothing here grabs me like the first album. I found myself going back to their debut more times than not.
Jan 11, 2017
TheSoftBulletin
nothing new, nothing memorable
Nov 22, 2016*
ryansliao
I like the more vibrant production but I was asleep by the end.

Best Tracks: Angels, Reunion
Worst Tracks: Chained
Sep 8, 2012
thosecolours
After an astonishing debute, this was a real letdown, even if usually the second album can't live up to the high standards of the first. It's just bland and boring.

Popular Now