Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

CRITIC SCORE
What Do You Think?
RATE:
Feb 23, 2016*
This is among my favourite R&B albums of all time, a fantastic body of work right here imo. Kinda sucks how we finally find a great songwriter in mainstream music, and then he goes and ditches us.

EDIT: never mind he back
Dec 16, 2016
lemuriams
NOTHING CAN BEAT THIS ALBUM
Apr 23, 2015
SherlockMHolmes
dude how are Earl's features always fire
Jan 1, 2016
FinalLifeline
Frank has been in hiding since the tail end of Channel Orange's runaway success, and it's easy to see why. It's a big album to follow up, and there are high expectations. Channel Orange is an excellent record, decidedly one of the best R&B albums in a long while, if not the best. Frank has one of the current era's most distinctive songwriting voices, and that talent is what makes the album so good. There is hardly a track here that isn't great (apart from "Monks", which has always ... read more
Sep 30, 2013
SeenYourVideo
Channel Orange is engrossing with original and demanding flavor from the superb and talented new kid on the block, Frank Ocean. 2012's best? Without a doubt.
Aug 19, 2016
jpaps96
i get the hype now wow
May 17, 2016
MoistNarwhal
Ocean always sounds fresh on this record, appealing to our humanity and creating great romantic classics.
An ambitious album, executed brilliantly no matter the mood.
May 16, 2016
uralberk
-2012 AOTY #1-

A startpoint for growing hate, obsessive behaviour and criminal tendencies.

Playstation opens, Frank's love jam connects to the fertilizer pun, sad richness themes, drugs, cuts the half with 9 minutes epic, takes the guitar, discharges the vocals, closes the album.

And you will be like, which cave this guy hides in?
Oct 7, 2015
Jx
pyramids is a masterpiece within a masterpiece
Aug 24, 2014
austincrane235
Best Track: Thinkin Bout You, Super Rich Kids, Pilot Jones, Crack Rock, Pyramids, Lost, Bad Religion, or Forrest Gump
Worst Track: Monks
Most Overrated Track: Sweet Life
Most Underrated Track: Sierra Leone

Thoughtful and detailed, the 26-minute stretch from Super Rich Kids to Lost is one of the greatest moments in all of contemporary R&B
Aug 3, 2017
FrankD
Frank siempre es muy personal y honesto con su música, en este trabajo plasma su emociones de una manera exquisita como muy pocos en su generación lo logran, audaz, serio y con una voz que lo revela todo.
Jul 25, 2017
thethirdverse
Literally ahead of its time, and the people who got to experience it in 2012 like I did knew it as soon as they heard it too. 5 years later, you'd still be hard-pressed to find an album as beautifully written, intricate, and flat-out gorgeous as this. An instant classic.
Jul 7, 2017
A classic in its own right. Always worth revisiting.
Jun 7, 2017
EleanorRigby
FAV TRACKS: Thinkin Bout You, Pyramids, Super Rich Kids, Pink Matter

LEAST FAV TRACK:
Jun 5, 2017*
BruhMan
Ive listened to this since the year it came out and 5 years later this shit is still stunning. The music, Frank's Voice & flow is just breathtaking. With the Playstation sound to start this off and the beautifully written Thinkin Bout You, just gets you hooked right then and there. Its a 17 track lp that leaves you wanting more.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Thinkin Bout You, Sweet Life, Super Rich Kids, Crack Rock, Pyramids, Lost, Monks, Pink Matter & Forrest Gump.

LEAST FAVORITE: Pilot Jones ... read more
Mar 24, 2017
FearFlour
Best modern R&B album ever.

Favs: Lost, Monks, Super Rich Kids, Pyramids, Pink Matter, Bad Religion, Sweet Life, White.

Least fav: Start?????? Idk, man.
Mar 2, 2017
Pink Matter
Forrest Gump
Dec 18, 2016
Vezu
One of the best albums of the decade so far.
Dec 12, 2016
JFulfy
Top R&B Artists; amazing voice, able to communicate person pain that is able to be related to, despite the circumstance being so different in so many ways.

Fav Tracks; Thinkin Bout You, Pilot Jones, Lost
Dec 9, 2016
donutzfly
Frank Ocean knows what he's doing in Channel Orange and he does it amazingly well. His songwriting abilities could deceive you into actually thinking he was a friend who is discussing topics that make you think about what life is really worth.
Nov 24, 2016*
ryansliao
Is there a ton of potential here for Frank Ocean as a songwriter and performer? Yes, definitely. Is this an all time great R&B record? Hell no.

Best Tracks: Thinkin Bout You, Super Rich Kids, Pyramids, Bad Religion, Forrest Gump
Worst Tracks: Pilot Jones
Nov 18, 2016
Magnum Opus

This is an amazing, personal, emotional, and wholly satisfying album. Frank Ocean absolutely killed this album and I don't think he'll top this album for a while.
Nov 4, 2016
• Pyramids
• Lost
Oct 9, 2016
frienderman
Acts as a commentary on contemporary life, yet does so in a way that is not only original but beautifully crafted.
Sep 4, 2016*
theRoids
Simply the best R&B album of this generation, and in the conversation for THE best album of this generation. Simply beautiful from front to back.

Best Songs: All of them except...

Worst Songs: Not Just Money, End
Aug 25, 2016*
Diosglosia
Es inevitable, al hablar de Frank Ocean, hablar de uno de las caras más visibles del R&B internacional. Entrábamos ya en 2013, incluso en 2014, cuando decidí darle una oportunidad al rap, y poco después llegó a mis manos esto. Channel ORANGE. Un disco que en poco tiempo, tanto a nivel objetivo como sentimental, se convirtió en uno de mis discos favoritos. Si bien sigo adorándolo tanto como el primer día, la experiencia y las escuchas ... read more
Aug 23, 2016
GratedStraws
Frank's Purple Rain. I don't need to say anymore.
Aug 21, 2016
14. Bad Religion 0.93
15. Pink Matter (feat. André 3000) 0.76
16. Forrest Gump 0.98
17. End 0.74

Favorite songs: Thinkin Bout You, Fertilizer, Super Rich Kids, Sweet Life, Pyramids, Lost, Bad Religion
Jul 28, 2016
almost overwhelmingly easy listening. lush but uneventful
May 16, 2016
noonoo97
A lot of my friends love this album but to be honest I think its overrated. Maybe its because I cant relate the lyrics or maybe its because normally I cant stand R&B. His voice is obviously very good but quite poppy and timberlake like at times. The beats are simple and standard and nothing risky about this album at all. I can see why the iTunes warrior would think this is the best thing ever but in reality its overrated. But the album is an easy listen and quite pleasant on the ears and ... read more
May 15, 2016
honestly i can't even judge this objectively that falsetto is godly
May 9, 2016
chuyin49
Frank Ocean is definitely one of the best singers/songwriters of our generation. I'm not a Huge fan of r&b so I couldn't really appreciate the album as much as people praise it to be. After a couple listens though, I ended up enjoying the album more than I thought I would.

Fav songs: Thinking About You, Pyramids, Lost
Apr 29, 2016*
uzimandias
its nice
Feb 29, 2016
Ocean manages to create a beautiful debut album which showcases his vulnerability and crisp vocals. Channel Orange is wonderfully written and its relaxing vibe makes it thoroughly enjoyable to listen to. Hopefully Frank will soon release his sophomore album, and if it is a fraction as good as this project, it will be one of the albums of the year
Jan 23, 2016
dakotaconcrete
Still sounding, very, very good!
Dec 18, 2015
SiberianBreaks
Frank Ocean's debut album really had nearly all of the qualities of a classic. The features on here are spectacular, the psychedelic production is textured and oozes sex, and Frank as a vocalist is near-perfect. The way the songs are arranged on here are strange though. There are too many mediocre interludes overall and they mostly dominate the first half. Because of this, the flow is so all over the place. Frank's got a classic-worthy sound on here, but there's still a whole lot of trimming ... read more
Nov 10, 2015
Beautiful
Oct 24, 2015*
EDIT: Still think this is an amazing album. Honestly, I can't see anything topping this in pop or r&b within this decade. There's pretty close to nothing wrong with Channel Orange, but god I really wish Fertilizer was a full track. It has such an infectious and upbeat melody and terrific production. Frank had the potential to be this generation's Michael Jackson, but unfortunately that never came to fruition. He's still one of the most talented pop artists of the 2010's though, and ... read more
Sep 20, 2015
hemyge
Fav tracks: Super Rich Kids, Pyramids, Bad Religion, Pink Matter
May 28, 2015*
dyelir
Dare this be dubbed "metropolitan r&b"? Frank Ocean even lyrically embraces the concept on "Super Rich Kids" and "Sweet Life". His willingness to pull back and focus on extraneous material makes this record so excellent, as Frank is usually talking about others here. This is our invitation into his observations. He's the playwright, we're the audience. It usually plays within the realm of post-Stevie Wonder r&b but don't be mistaken, Channel Orange sounds ... read more
May 5, 2015
SirBarxAL0T
Good album indeed. It has a freshness and originality to it for R&B. Some of the instrumentals are just heavenly. Though the emotions of Frank are not hard hitting to me, it still serves as an adventurous album that you are certain to get reactions out of in the first listen. The production is great, and sets up a great environment. A real stand out.
Favorite Tracks: Thinkin Bout You, Sweet Life, Super Rich Kids, Pyramids, White, Pink Matter
May 5, 2015
jasonwallace199
I never understood the hype to this album. Yea, its good, but is it amazing?

Fav Tracks: Thinkin About You,Sweet Life, Super Rich Kids, Pyramids, Lost, Bad Religion, Forrest Gump, Golden Girl

Least Fav: Crack Rock
May 4, 2015
RichGod
Frank's debut studio album was debatably (I happened to love Kaleidoscope Dream by Miguel a little more) the best R&B album of the year, and THE best ALBUM of the year as well. It will forever be a model album for other up and coming artists to listen to and take notes. 2012 was a big year for music in my opinion, and this album is the perfect example of why. Franks amazing voice combined with amazing beats make the perfect combination and every song on this album is just gold.

Favorite ... read more
Apr 19, 2015
Ideekay
FAVS: Thinking Bout You, Lost, Monks
Apr 1, 2015
Z.Younk
the fundamental album of generation y.
Nov 20, 2014
Tom Simmons
Fav Tracks: Pyramids, Sweet Life, Thinkin Bout You, Forrest Gump, Super Rich Kids, Sierra Leone, Pilot Jones, Lost
Nov 3, 2014
EMR
A fantastic album. Ocean's voice sounds perfect and fits even better with the atmosphere built along the 17 tracks in channel Orange. The audio quality is near perfection and the production is top-notch. The lyrics are great too, and Frank manages to keep the listener drifting along from the first second of the intro. Overall, a great RnB album that will stand tall for a long time, as well as keep the fans craving for more.
Jul 11, 2014