Solange - A Seat at the Table

What Do You Think?
RATE:
Sep 30, 2016
Leozao
Congrats to Beyonce on the second best album in the family this year!
Dec 18, 2016
JustAReflektor
Yeah I'll Give You A Seat At My Table

Yeah I'll Honk My Hogs

Yeah I'll Spank My Dogs

Yeah I'll Chew Your Nub

Yeah I'll Kiss a Skunk

what is that shit in her hair
Dec 13, 2016
austincrane235
I was forced to relisten to this after P4k called it #1 of the year, and I don't think I gave it a fair shot when it came out. This is pretty good. My favorite aspect of this album is the production. Smooth, soulful beats with lots of interesting and unexpected layers. The effect that's created is this feeling of cohesion running throughout the project that I appreciate. Sometimes the album gets a little sleepy, but overall I thought this was solid. Glad I gave it a second chance
Oct 16, 2016
It's stupid to say that this is just music, I mean, there's so much culture, discussion and strenght in this album, like it can trascend the state of being just art and become a source for identity and history. However, if it comes down to purely what reaches the ear, Solange's A Seat at the Table finds her in a position of self-empowerment, universal access and thought-provoking lyrics. The interludes give cohesion and guide you through it all, they give you words worth on checking them out, ... read more
Oct 5, 2016
EMR
Curious to see how the two sisters have found themselves special places in the large pop spectrum, ocasionally aiming for similar approaches in composition and stance, but drifting away completely when talking about wider recognition and conceptual development. This record is probably her best work to date, and, if it wasn't for a few lackluster cuts on the later part, she could've gone much farther. Anyways, it is quite clear that Solange is reaching out for a much more mature and ambitious ... read more
Jan 12, 2017
pouls
I get it that this album has a much bigger message behind it, and I am aware that this album's themes are socially relevant, but I just cannot get into this album.
This album passed like an eternity, and even though I like what she is trying to do here, this album had [INTERLUDE 1] some [INTERLUDE 2] really [INTERLUDE 3] uninteresting [INTERLUDE 4] moments [INTERLUDE 5] and a handful of [INTERLUDE 6] interludes, and while some people might defend these interludes, saying that they are relevant ... read more
Feb 3, 2017
it has beautiful songs in it.
u can listen it quickly with her beautiful voice.
and i liked every track so im giving it 100 :)

-i think it's better than lemonade.
Jan 17, 2017
SeaBass
I feel like this was one of the least expected albums this year to be as good as it was. An R&B/neo soul album with massive heart and strong messages. It’s a lovely listen, as the instrumentation is smooth and full of funk. Her voice is wonderful, her story telling precise, using interludes, narrated by others, as great bridges between songs. As such this album isn’t only about herself, it’s about the black experience in the US, in a way the r&b equivalent to To Pimp a ... read more
Dec 27, 2016
raymon
This album is sneakily good. Solange somehow is able to show the frustration of African-Americans over these past few years in an album that flows peacefully. It gets better with each listen, and it flows from track to track with no skip in beat. It is truly an engaging listen from beginning to end, and it is a contender for AOTY.
Dec 17, 2016
kidhead
shes the best knowles
Nov 16, 2016
dyelir
No song this year is such an arresting personal statement as "Cranes In The Sky". R&B traditionalists will love this album and for those who are skeptical of the resurgence of Beyonce's sister, just know this is on-par with Lemonade and Beyonce. However, instead of album-long commentaries on marriage and partnership, what A Seat At The Table does is bring the psyche of the black American female to the forefront of the listener's mind.
Oct 3, 2016
*MUST HEAR*

Best Tracks: Weary, Cranes In The Sky, Don't You Wait, Don't Touch My Hair
Mar 26, 2017
daFigz
Admittedly, I've come late to this release. Essentially, I have given up chasing the latest and greatest and opted for the collection of music to suit my taste while substantially contributing to the diversity of styles I now enjoy. Moving at my pace. Get it? I'm not too snobby... Nerdier perhaps... Silently hip... In my own mind, of course. With all that being shared, Solange's 'A Seat At The Table' is an actual delicacy. Her Socio-economic bent runs parallel to my own. So, I celebrate this ... read more
Mar 1, 2017*
Best Track:
Don't Touch My Hair
Worst Track:
Junie
Feb 2, 2017
JAM
While I respect how focused Solange is on "A Seat At The Table", I fail to invest into the music. Solange successfully wraps this project into a unified body, but as for sound of this record, I don't feel anything special about this. The production is basic and dragging. A simple beat of a drum is most of what is presented. And her hush voice falls short of filling the large amount dead space that is needed to make this project feel lively. And even if theres a time in the album where ... read more
Jan 16, 2017
Kokolores
This album is in a pleasent way harmonious, honest, straight, artfull and therefore moving and very welcome.
Jan 14, 2017
20. Scales: 60

12 Conjunto: 80
Dec 14, 2016*
ryansliao
Solange is one hell of a graceful singer compared to the power that her sister possesses. This makes for some stunning vocal performances on this record.

Best Tracks: Rise, Weary, Cranes in the Sky, Where Do We Go, F.U.B.U., Borderline
Worst Tracks: Scales
Dec 9, 2016
This album eloquently articulated much of my past present and likely future experiences. A healing balm that brought to the surface what black women are constantly told to bury - their lives, anguish, beauty and self worth.

Honestly it's not a perfect album - the later half not as immediately accessible as the 1st but the beauty is in the detail - the topical interludes that celebrate traditions of oration in black culture and its mellow tones that harbour politically charged messages ... read more
Nov 21, 2016
Bang
Great R&B LP from Solange. This album, in my opinion, cannot even be compared to Lemonade. It's R&B, sure. But it's much more minimalist and clean. It's an entirely different aesthetic.

(PS: Holy shit. Lil' Wayne's verse was okay.)
Nov 18, 2016
guileffb
Surprisingly good! I mean, it's not the kind of album that's going to be in my final list of AOTY, but I have to recommend this (kinda).
Nov 14, 2016
Best Tracks: Rise, Weary, Don't Touch My Hair, F.U.B.U
Nov 13, 2016
Creator R-Zita
The experimental and electronic sounds, the stories, the calm beats, her positive aura and her smooth vocals give us a stunning triumphant album. After I hear it many times (and I want to gine it more changes) I started loving it, more and more with every shot.
Nov 11, 2016
Best Songs: 'Junie' ft. Andre 3000, 'Mad' ft. Lil Wayne, 'Don't You Wait', 'F.U.B.U' ft. BJ The Chicago Kid & The-Dream, 'Where Do We Go'
Worst Songs: 'Scales' ft. Kelela
Nov 4, 2016
spinology
Solange has a long career under her belt and with 'A Seat at the Table' she seems to have found her dharma. It's raw, honest and insightful. Possibly one of the best albums of 2016.
Oct 13, 2016
DiegoPaim01
Talvez seja cedo para dar minha opinião sobre esse disco, mas arrisco a dizer que é um trabalho muito bem feito, ainda que não tenha me chamado tanto a atenção. Há uma sonoridade muito pujante aqui, a produção trabalha muito bem para deixar o som bem robusto, vívido, intenso de tão vivo. Desta forma, dá a impressão que as músicas estão quase sendo performadas ao vivo na sua frente, o que ajuda ... read more
Oct 9, 2016
Just an opinion. Beyonce is an unbelievably skilled singer. Solange is a very skilled singer and also a very skilled songwriter. If only the record was shorter... I find it to be very interesting though.
Oct 6, 2016
thethirdverse
she's like beyonce but more interesting, with a quiriker, more high-registered voice. but that doesn't necessarily make her a better songwriter. mostly a dull, monotonous album sprinkled with bold, admirable statements of activism and at points very pleasing to the ear.

best songs: mad ft. lil wayne, cranes in the sky, F.U.B.U. ft. the-dream & bj the chicago kid
Oct 6, 2016
Raincoat
A bold statement on identity, independence, and both inner and outer beauty as a black person, presented in a very inviting manner: "A Seat at the Table" is adorned with beautiful instrumentation and an almost dreamlike atmosphere; it's ambitious but never demanding — it's warm, almost tranquil. Some weak tracks in the latter half prevent it from reaching greatness but it remains a strong release.

Highlights: "Cranes in the Sky", "Don't Touch My Hair"
Oct 5, 2016
WildChameleon
Really long but I find it pretty good. It reminds me Xenia Rubinos and Esperanza Spalding 2016 albums.
Oct 4, 2016
Hunter13
Solange definitely shows how to combine both form in art and content in music together which is really perfect and convincing, especially we‘ve been seeing too many ‘art for art's sake’ today.
Oct 2, 2016
Sonically Solange has put together one of the best albums in a year full of very strong releases throughout. You could feel Solange's presence all throughout Lemonade and she shines on her own release as Beyonce did on her. A triumphant and great record that oozes empowerment for Solange Knowles.
Oct 2, 2016
Chesco
each interlude transition is smooth and works surprisingly well. strong album with fresh content.
Oct 1, 2016
plowo
[]

Favorites:Cranes In The Sky, Mad [ft. Lil Wayne], Don't You Wait, Don't Touch My Hair [ft. Sampha], F.U.B.U. [ft. The-Dream & BJ The Chicago Kid] and Scales [ft. Kelela].

USERS WHO LIKE A Seat at the Table ALSO LIKE