The xx - I See You

RATE:

User Reviews

pouls
THE XX - I SEE YOU FIRST REACTION

1st track: the instrumental is pretty cool, but there are almost no emotions in the vocals! I don't know what is so exciting about this xx bullshit... their moany panty vocal bullshit is not doing anything for me... are they trying to be sexy or some shit? Score: 5/10

2nd track: same issue with the first track. At least the instrumental is cool. The xx fans, please let me know what is so exciting about this bullshit. And the lyrics are so bad. Score: ... read more
Jan 13, 2017*
EMR
The xx's new album sees the band developing their sound with Jamie xx's electronic chops up front as the pivotal point. I See You is a much more mature and forward-looking work in comparison to their stagnant sophomore record, and some of the boldest cuts in the first half prove the point. By stepping out of the incredibly comfortable direction followed by the band in their previous album, The xx reach a new level of strenght here with some well-written songs that predominantly carry out that ... read more
Jan 13, 2017
Much, much better than the previous two albums imo, mainly because the tracks actually sound different this time. Jamie brought in some of that diversity and vibrancy to his production that I liked so much from In Colour here, which I think made for some pretty solid tunes on this thing such as Lips, Replica and On Hold. Hell, just 10 seconds into this album when I heard that bassline on Dangerous, I just knew this shit was gonna be better than their first two albums, it just sounded updated ... read more
Jan 12, 2017
MarkCooper
My favorite of their albums. As cliché as Jamie's songwriting can be, I love the nocturnal, introverted-dance tone he can pull off. On Hold still sucks, and wasn't a good representation of the album. The music is still "minimal cool-kid" music, but with much more adventurous beats, as compared to their other albums. The lyrics are pretty two-dimensional, but that's never been a strong suit of theirs, nor the main thing to focus on in their music. Romy and Oliver's vocals are ... read more
Jan 16, 2017*
SiberianBreaks
With I See You, their most enjoyable effort yet, the band find themselves on the right path again as they change their name from The zz back to The xx.

The UK-based trio still haven't moved really moved past the routine of keeping things simple, which I think is disappointing. In the latter half of 2009, they broke out with an critical success that made them one of the most influential groups of the decade. The songwriting on that record was bare as bones and not particularly in the good way, ... read more
Jan 11, 2017
cookie
did they get girlfriends or something?? I'm tired of this sticky drama
Jan 18, 2017
After listening to the enormous wave of mediocrity that was present in The xx's first two full length projects, I was blissfully surprised that they redeemed themselves on their third. Everything that was half-assed on xx and Coexist is vastly improved upon here, specifically the production. And with the more powerful and enthusiastic beats, both singers come off as much more focused and driven. I actually hear emotion on I See You, and that makes all the difference. Tracks like "On ... read more
Jan 17, 2017
noonoo97
Generic, boring, cold and just terrible.
TheSoftBulletin
The xx seem to bring together what they each have to offer to create something none of them could pull of individually, a sound that is recognisably their own.
Jan 23, 2017
After Coexist, it seemed like The xx was destined for the route of bands like Interpol, Sleigh Bells, etc. where after recycling their sound for a, fairly good, sophomore album, that their third effort would be sluggish and tiresome. But after a hiatus, and more substance to their act, and more...synth and sampling, we find ourselves with a gem of layers.

Favorite tracks: Dangerous, Lips, Performance, On Hold
Jan 16, 2017
Fallendomino
Per their MO, The xx continue to deliver bare-bones lyrics accompanied by a range of eclectic instrumentation. However, "I See You" takes the band one step further. Their newfound maturity radiates from every song, taking the listener along a journey of impassioned revelations.

Notable Songs: "Dangerous"; "Say Something Loving"; "A Violent Noise"; "Replica"; "Brave for You"; "On Hold"; "I Dare You"
Jan 14, 2017
Talvez melhora a nota depois que conseguir parar de ouvir as 4 primeiras músicas repetindo infinito
NSOGamer
I really enjoyed the theme of this album, but I feel like Jamie's beats don't fit the mood most of the time, I felt very unsatisfied listening to this other than 'On Hold'
Feb 19, 2017
I See You by The xx is a nice revamp on the bands sound. In their past albums The xx was more a snooze fest compared to I See You's ambition. Some songs are not as good as the rest but this a great new sound.
Feb 18, 2017
Brave for You: 2.4
Test Me: 2.2
Feb 17, 2017*
ryansliao
I wasn't expecting much from this project considering that I've never really been a big fan of The xx. But I did like On Hold so I thought they might try something new with this record. It turns out that's exactly what they did. While the songwriting is standard xx, this new more atmospheric and reverby production from Jamie xx works quite well.

Best Tracks: Say Something Loving, Lips, A Violent Noise, Performance, Replica, Brave For You, On Hold

Worst Tracks: Dangerous
Feb 15, 2017
choice_kingdom
I am thoroughly shocked by how much I appreciated this album. The colorful, glossy production wraps tightly and beautifully the newly born and matured sound of The xx. Superb.
Feb 9, 2017
GoldenChords
This isn't for me, I think. I'm the only who finds this a kind of generic?.

Favorite tracks: Performance, A Violent Noise, Replica

Least favorite tracks: The rest of them, especially On Hold and Dangerous.
Feb 9, 2017
maxonrocket
This isn't something for which loved them.
Feb 5, 2017
While they insist on playing the game of shadows, they use a wider and brighter palette to sustain their hard commitment, as flexible as possible.
Feb 1, 2017
Gupla
El sonido no es el mismo, pero el clima sigue siendo un área de extrema irrelevancia para mí. Desde el excelente debut de Jamie xx, esperaba una tendencia mayor si se daba un nuevo disco del trío londinense, y si bien ese fue un hecho claro en I See You, debo decir que no fue el suficiente para madurar un sonido que anteriormente mostraba una simplicidad que derivaba un desinteres inminente si mi intención era volver a escuchar otro de sus materiales. Me encanta la ... read more
Feb 1, 2017
dyelir
Many bands in the last decade have dwindled away after their lackluster sophomore LPs, with no original content to hold other than their debut. The xx were destined to run the same course, until I See You was released. Here, Jamie xx takes his newly acquired production strengths from his solo album In Colour and puts them into his band's work. This a step in a right direction for a band looking to rewrite their script.
Jan 27, 2017
john95
Oh wow! Half the tracks actually grabbed my attention! Bravo xx! You created a record that's surprisingly not very boring!
Jan 25, 2017
The mildly soothing vocal pairings and the relaxed and smooth Indietronic sounds that make this album another classic in their very favored discography.

The xx - On Hold

The xx - VCR

VCR

The xx - xx

xx

Watch the xx Perform “Lips” and “Say Something Loving” on “Fallon”
Watch the xx Perform “Lips” and “Say Something Loving” on “Fallon”
Listen to the xx Cover Drake and Rihanna’s “Too Good”
Listen to the xx Cover Drake and Rihanna’s “Too Good”
Stream the xx’s New Album 'I See You'
Stream the xx’s New Album 'I See You'
Listen to the xx’s New Song “Say Something Loving”
Listen to the xx’s New Song “Say Something Loving”
I’ll Be Your Mirror: How the xx Found Themselves—and Their Vibrant New Sound—in Each Other
The xx kick off European tour with the debut of two new songs