The xx - I See You

What Do You Think?
RATE:
Jan 13, 2017*
EMR
The xx's new album sees the band developing their sound with Jamie xx's electronic chops up front as the pivotal point. I See You is a much more mature and forward-looking work in comparison to their stagnant sophomore record, and some of the boldest cuts in the first half prove the point. By stepping out of the incredibly comfortable direction followed by the band in their previous album, The xx reach a new level of strenght here with some well-written songs that predominantly carry out that ... read more
pouls
THE XX - I SEE YOU FIRST REACTION

1st track: the instrumental is pretty cool, but there are almost no emotions in the vocals! I don't know what is so exciting about this xx bullshit... their moany panty vocal bullshit is not doing anything for me... are they trying to be sexy or some shit? Score: 5/10

2nd track: same issue with the first track. At least the instrumental is cool. The xx fans, please let me know what is so exciting about this bullshit. And the lyrics are so bad. Score: ... read more
Jan 18, 2017
After listening to the enormous wave of mediocrity that was present in The xx's first two full length projects, I was blissfully surprised that they redeemed themselves on their third. Everything that was half-assed on xx and Coexist is vastly improved upon here, specifically the production. And with the more powerful and enthusiastic beats, both singers come off as much more focused and driven. I actually hear emotion on I See You, and that makes all the difference. Tracks like "On ... read more
Jan 12, 2017
MarkCooper
My favorite of their albums. As cliché as Jamie's songwriting can be, I love the nocturnal, introverted-dance tone he can pull off. On Hold still sucks, and wasn't a good representation of the album. The music is still "minimal cool-kid" music, but with much more adventurous beats, as compared to their other albums. The lyrics are pretty two-dimensional, but that's never been a strong suit of theirs, nor the main thing to focus on in their music. Romy and Oliver's vocals are ... read more
Jan 13, 2017
Much, much better than the previous two albums imo, mainly because the tracks actually sound different this time. Jamie brought in some of that diversity and vibrancy to his production that I liked so much from In Colour here, which I think made for some pretty solid tunes on this thing such as Lips, Replica and On Hold. Hell, just 10 seconds into this album when I heard that bassline on Dangerous, I just knew this shit was gonna be better than their first two albums, it just sounded updated ... read more
Jan 16, 2017*
SiberianBreaks
With I See You, their most enjoyable effort yet, the band find themselves on the right path again as they change their name from The zz back to The xx.

The UK-based trio still haven't moved really moved past the routine of keeping things simple, which I think is disappointing. In the latter half of 2009, they broke out with an critical success that made them one of the most influential groups of the decade. The songwriting on that record was bare as bones and not particularly in the good way, ... read more
TheSoftBulletin
The xx seem to bring together what they each have to offer to create something none of them could pull of individually, a sound that is recognisably their own.
Jan 11, 2017
cookie
did they get girlfriends or something?? I'm tired of this sticky drama
Jan 23, 2017
After Coexist, it seemed like The xx was destined for the route of bands like Interpol, Sleigh Bells, etc. where after recycling their sound for a, fairly good, sophomore album, that their third effort would be sluggish and tiresome. But after a hiatus, and more substance to their act, and more...synth and sampling, we find ourselves with a gem of layers.

Favorite tracks: Dangerous, Lips, Performance, On Hold
Jan 16, 2017
Fallendomino
Per their MO, The xx continue to deliver bare-bones lyrics accompanied by a range of eclectic instrumentation. However, "I See You" takes the band one step further. Their newfound maturity radiates from every song, taking the listener along a journey of impassioned revelations.

Notable Songs: "Dangerous"; "Say Something Loving"; "A Violent Noise"; "Replica"; "Brave for You"; "On Hold"; "I Dare You"
Jan 14, 2017
Talvez melhora a nota depois que conseguir parar de ouvir as 4 primeiras músicas repetindo infinito
Jan 17, 2017
noonoo97
Generic, boring, cold and just terrible.
Jan 11, 2017
choice_kingdom
I am thoroughly shocked by how much I appreciated this album. The colorful, glossy production wraps tightly and beautifully the newly born and matured sound of The xx. Superb.
Feb 20, 2017
frienderman
Pretty gorgeous stuff, but a lot of the songs seemingly blend into an aura of dreamy pop music without much substance
Raincoat
The xx's third LP boasts much brighter and bolder production than their previous efforts but still feels lacking in energy: the vocals are as detached and weary as ever and the atmosphere is often muted. Some memorable moments are scattered across the album but it contains no real outstanding tracks, making for a rather underwhelming record.
NSOGamer
I really enjoyed the theme of this album, but I feel like Jamie's beats don't fit the mood most of the time, I felt very unsatisfied listening to this other than 'On Hold'
May 29, 2017
Mr_Jaiva
Beautiful renovation of sound. Emotional and enjoyable.
May 8, 2017
Joshua0_o
I still think The XX's first album is one of the most essential album of the zeroes. 'I See You', however, doesn't really have any of the things making their self-titled so memorable. The atmosphere, amazing melodies and memorable hooks are replaced by a few Jamie XX tracks with vocals and a few ballads that aren't as well written as most of the songs on their second record. Most of the singles leading up to the album were pretty good, unfortunatly what remains is really lackluster.

Fav ... read more
May 6, 2017*
Uma ou outra faixa legal e On Hold é excelente, mas no geral é The xx, ou seja: não muito bom.
May 5, 2017
joaoverde
Boooriiiiiing

FAV TRACKS: Dangerous, On Hold
Apr 30, 2017
They have lost their minimalist qualities and don't sound so unique anymore, unfortunately. The lead single sounds like a Eurovision song. Perhaps Jamie had too much influence on this record in trying to turn it more dance-themed, but since they didn't go all out for this style, the record sounds caught between the old and the new, meaning it doesn't really sound like anything worthwhile.
Mar 31, 2017
FearFlour
Can be boring but it's well made.

Fav track: On Hold
Mar 21, 2017*
PaulyZ
Tracklist:

Dangerous (10.0)
Say Something Loving (8.0)
Lips (7.6)
I Dare You (7.5)
Test Me (7.2)
Mar 17, 2017
pearshapedexe
"With I See You, The XX have taken a risk that has paid off; the band has shown their musical depth, skill, and variety."

Mar 16, 2017
A strikingly bold album from a band known for their safeness.
Mar 11, 2017
While most critics seemed to like this album I found it very bland and uninteresting. The songs are formulaic and uninspired and the performances are flat and dull seeming to be devoid of any energy or character whatsoever. This albums biggest weakness however is its cheesy ass lyrics which seem like they were written by a teenage pop star. This just didn't do it for me.
Mar 9, 2017
daFigz
This new The xx release, 'I See You' has captured my attention for a variety of reasons. The accomplished musicianship, inventive electronic coloring, tempting vocals and overall repeat listen-ability due to the maturity of the band has it in frequent rotation in Hale da Figz. Lest I be remiss by failing to mention that I was frequently treated to media hype by the band… Most notably the great NPR piece that spotlighted not only the release, but also personalized the band members making ... read more
Mar 9, 2017
Felindie
Fav Tracks: I Dare You, Say Something Loving, Dangerous, Replica
Mar 6, 2017
AlienTing
their best and most ambitious album yet, although the lyrics and get a bit cringe worthy sometimes but the vocal delivery saved it. Jamie's introverted production has always been something i've admired.

standouts: say something loving, a violent noise, replica

least fav: on hold (sorry not sorry)
Mar 5, 2017
DarkHorse3313
Solid album, but mediocre and uninventive.
Mar 2, 2017
JAM
The xx corrects their problems from their sophomore album on their third release "I See You". "Coexist" suffered from the band's failure to branch out from their debut. Their second release felt like a watered down blueprint of their first, resulting in a project that felt unmotivated. However, on their most recent release, "I See You", The xx fixes these issues by creating a more colorful sound. The album feels more "poppy", but that doesn't take away ... read more
Feb 25, 2017
DukesAtmosphere
Media darlings The xx have delivered their third album in 8 years to practically universal acclaim. Their second album to top the UK album charts at #1 not to mention debuting in the US at #2 in the Billboard 200, reviews from mainstream publications are giving this album an average score of 85 out of 100. But all that and and a bag of chips don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing. The promise of dance floor friendly opening track Dangerous quickly dissipates into nine ... read more
Feb 19, 2017
I See You by The xx is a nice revamp on the bands sound. In their past albums The xx was more a snooze fest compared to I See You's ambition. Some songs are not as good as the rest but this a great new sound.
Feb 18, 2017
Replica: 3.2
Brave for You: 2.4
Test Me: 2.2
Feb 5, 2017
While they insist on playing the game of shadows, they use a wider and brighter palette to sustain their hard commitment, as flexible as possible.
Feb 1, 2017
Gupla
El sonido no es el mismo, pero el clima sigue siendo un área de extrema irrelevancia para mí. Desde el excelente debut de Jamie xx, esperaba una tendencia mayor si se daba un nuevo disco del trío londinense, y si bien ese fue un hecho claro en I See You, debo decir que no fue el suficiente para madurar un sonido que anteriormente mostraba una simplicidad que derivaba un desinteres inminente si mi intención era volver a escuchar otro de sus materiales. Me encanta la ... read more
Feb 1, 2017
dyelir
Many bands in the last decade have dwindled away after their lackluster sophomore LPs, with no original content to hold other than their debut. The xx were destined to run the same course, until I See You was released. Here, Jamie xx takes his newly acquired production strengths from his solo album In Colour and puts them into his band's work. This a step in a right direction for a band looking to rewrite their script.
Jan 30, 2017
'Performance' is my favorite song of 2017 so far. Replica is close behind. Overall, the album maintains a good high with a few nice peaks. I have only given it a few listens so far and it feels like the type of album that grows with more listens.
Jan 27, 2017
Oh wow! Half the tracks actually grabbed my attention! Bravo xx! You created a record that's surprisingly not very boring!
Jan 25, 2017
The mildly soothing vocal pairings and the relaxed and smooth Indietronic sounds that make this album another classic in their very favored discography.
Jan 24, 2017
Amazing songs. Instrumentals great. Replica and A Violent Noise are my favorites.
SeaBass
Jamie xx brings some of the flavor you hear in In Colour into this project, but it still lacks something to grab you. It's soft, but falls short of being interesting. This is helped by Test Me being a terrible closer. The two opening tracks are great though, with Dangerous being Jamie's playground, and Say Something Loving genuinely loving.
a1n2d3r4e5morei
I Dare You 59
Pontuação Final: 72,2
Jan 19, 2017
RogerMusic
I love this project, can not get enough.
Bang
Another solid release from the xx. A lot more sample heavy than any of their other stuff. I do really like the new sample heavy sound though. Excited to do what they'll see next as they stray slightly into more experimental grounds.

USERS WHO LIKE I See You ALSO LIKE