Brand New - Science Fiction

Brand New

Science Fiction

Reviewed Oct 1, 2017
Brand New has been a band whose output I haven't particularly enjoyed for a while, and I was somewhat hesitant going into this album. I did love the hell out of this album once I heard it my first couple of times, but then, the more I listened to this album, the more and more this album outgrew me.

A lot of the lyrical immaturities that the band brought in their other albums is carried in Science Fiction, and this is one of the album's biggest problems. While I still do appreciate some of the lyrics at times, that do help convey the very eerie and dark mood of the album, these lyrics are underwhelming a good chunk of the time.

The instrumental part of the album is a bit more somber, and I do appreciate the instrumental part of this album a lot. It's actually the best thing that this album has, honestly. The instrumental part here is varied, and I honestly find that these instrumentals were gone to waste with the underwhelming lyrics.

This is another instance in which the lyrics carry the album down, unfortunately. Still though, this is Brand New's best album to date, and if you are into indie rock and emo, give this album a listen.
Comments