AOTY 2017
Liars - TFCF
Aug 24, 2017
For one of the many acts to be formed in the mostly one-note era of dance-punk in the early 2000's, Liars continuously prove to be perhaps the most adventurous project to be born of that time with their, at times, highly absurd approach to the conventions of the rock genre and an endlessly evolving signature sound. There's something to enjoy out of the Liars catalog for any enthusiast of experimental sounds - whether it's post-punk, tribal ambient, or alternative dance. As inconsistent they made be in terms of quality, Liars have nonetheless stayed consistent in always brilliantly encapsulating the power of artists playing with whatever medium they feel necessary to achieve their desirable output.

TFCF sees the band at yet another drastic change, however, not only in terms of sound, but with the fact that now we're getting a solo effort under the Liars name featuring the band's only true consistent member now, Angus Andrew. The record, as described by Slant Mag down below, does in fact feel more like a transitional piece than anything else. Especially witnessing the powerhouse of sounds that Mess brought a few years back, TFCF is much more notably low-key with its presentation. Straight away with the opener, "The Grand Delusional", it's obvious to tell that we're not getting another Mess, the product of a group of aggressive weirdos playing around with a wide range of machinery. Instead, we have just a bare selection of tools - acoustic guitars, a traditional drumset, and programmed beats and samples on a laptop. The instrumental palette, though minimal, results in a project that's mostly dense in its emotions it displays, and it never manages to stray away from what makes Liars the name it stands as today. Outlandish bits like the aggressive mumbling on "Staring at Zero" and the synth ramblings on "Face to Face With My Face" make us feel right at home with the band's usual aim to provide discomfort while surprising sombre moments like "No Help Pamphlet" or "Ripe Ripe Rot" take us back to as far as 2006's Drum's Not Dead where we see Liars at their most delicate.

The album art in a way perfectly sums up the impact left by TFCF as we're all dropped into a confusing, new start for the band and yet, in the end, it still comfortably feels as Liars as ever.

7/10