Jon Hopkins - Singularity
Singularity
Jon Hopkins is a gift to the world
scott96k
Holy shit bois... Emerald Rush is fucking ethereal

EDIT: the whole thing is ethereal
siberianbreaks
A grand spectacle displayed only through inoffensive arrangements disguised with expensive production and the tired cheese of melodramatic, piano passages. The Oscar-bait of electronic music. Not much going on here otherwise. Jon starts to interestingly warp his sound palette for a bit on Luminous Beings. I still continue to struggle to get why Jon is praised as one of the modern greats in electronic.
Muhammad231299
Listen to this album with headphones at night when the sky is full of stars. Congrast you are flying in space now

This is better than Immunity imo
Strong year for house so far, huh?

Seriously though, this is beautifully constructed and an immersive experience if you simply let yourself get lost in Hopkins' meticulously yet emotionally crafted stunner of a record.
This is the greatest electronic journey I have ever had the pleasure of being taken on. This is one of the albums that I can put on and get truly fully immersed in the soundscapes and the atmosphere. It makes me feel so euphoric and it never ceases to inspire me.
aaron
Stoked, he continues with the horrible album covers though ^^
lemuriams
If the next album will be made on the same patents, it will not catch hearts anymore
landis
I just don't care much for this dudes brand of glossy, dinner-party EDM
itsyahboinoah
If it was cut short and wasn't so long-winded, we would have had a great electronic record. But as for now, I like it with the clear cut favourite track has to be emerald rush.

Edit: this album feels to polished for me as an electronic record goes, I completely forgot most of this music on here.
nemgax
+5 points untethered my soul from time and space
ryanreviews
Fall asleep to it all the time (in a good way)
Vitaminchick
I wanted to give this album a better score but it gets too boring after the 6th track.
What a trip
bitterblossom12
I"ve been waiting all year for an album this strong. Is it just me or has 2018 been spectacularly lackluster? CSH Twin Fantasy is great but feels like a half-reissue for someone who's already spent a lot of time with the album.

Anyway Jon Hopkins clearly knows what he's doing, the level of detail is incredible, and he clearly has an album-length scope and particular themes in mind, sequencing the tracks in such a way to bring the album up to peaks and back down into valleys. The ... read more
noonoo97
A spacey more ethereal version of immunity and works just as well. Just loses some of its freshness.
An amazing musical experience overall, one of the best electronic records of the year easily. Jon has not lost a grain of his production talents and packs in so much with each track, resulting in a dense blast of a tech house record. The concept comes together very nicely and I would say the album is very consistent. I think the middle, whilst still good, doesn't hit as hard compared to the opening moments, but that's about it for complaints. Good stuff all around.
u4ya
This album is THE SHIT. It balances awesome heavy jams with genuinely beautiful, affecting moments. There's at least three songs on here worthy of my personal SOTY so far.
I really think he topped immunity with this one. It's like the perfect blend of everything I love about his music. The hard hitting beats from immunity, the weird space + scratches from insides, the piano, and the spacey ethereal stuff from his earlier days.

Knowing that this album comes after a ton of self reflection (meditation, fasts, etc) I can really feel that through the music. Feels like Hopkins is almost exploring himself in the music. The roller coaster of emotions that was Luminous ... read more
cipater22
Nice album, but incredibly overhyped. Immunity was better.
Cosmilk
This album is pure bliss to listen through.

I came from an electronic background in music. I've heard a LOT of electronic stuff. This album is definitely special. The atmospheres Jon creates here are stunning, the transitions are flawless, and the heaviness he brings on some of these tracks are breathtaking. The first four tracks are near perfect, and while the album feels a bit stretched out in some places, he still ties in some great idea here, and it's overall a wonderful ... read more
BuddhaBuddha
very expensive, very beautiful
Toveline
Singularity - 7/10 // Emerald Rush - 7/10 // Neon Pattern Drum - 7/10 // Everything Connected - 8/10 // Feel First Life - 7/10 // C O S M - 5/10 // Echo Dissolve - 8/10 // Luminous Beings - 8/10 // Recovery - 7/10
JulianGomez974
It might test your patience at points but as a whole Singularity makes for some of the best electronic records of the year and marks a beautiful and reflective release in Hopkins discography. It's mostly because of the way he evolves his songs, he recycles his palette and always brings something interesting and fresh to the table, it's almost like a family tree where everything comes from the same seed but it's always transforming into something unexpected and carefree. The landscapes, stars ... read more
buttholewasabi
An incredible electronic album, that takes me out of this world every time I listen to it. Stellar album.

My 50 Favourite Albums of 2018: #9 / 50
Kuzushi
Pulsating trip through sounds to dance and contemplate brimming with delicate details.
ricardomcr
Needless to say, it is meant as more of a continuous listening experience, as works better as such. I enjoy it, for how expansive and contemplative it sounds, it will force you to pay attention eventually. Love the more ambient moments.

GO LISTEN TO: Emerald Rush.
Minecraft OST 2
6.  C O S M /7
7.  Echo Dissolve /6
8.  Luminous Beings /10
9.  Recovery 8
A well constructed electronic album that leaves the listener feeling lost in space for much of the album. Not necessarily ground breaking compared to other electronic albums, but a strong example nonetheless.

Favorite track: Emerald Rush
The_Backdrifter
Singularity is a meditative and heart-warming ambient record that is worth your time.
Tallglassofwate
Great piece of electronic music. Sounds incredibly modern. Reminds me of the soundtrack to that app Smash Hit. It's a cliche to say that it sounds like your floating through space but on this one it feels like you're plummeting through an alternate reality. I don't really have many words outside of that. This is one of those rare occasions where a piece of ambient music is worth giving your undivided attention to. So beautiful!
ANGLSHRK
Easily my favourite for 2018 so far - every time I listen I'm rewarded with something new, and it's one I can listen through on repeat without getting bored of it. My only complaint is that it's too short...
Skaut
Singularity can be a very energetic and meditating. The first half is very energetic and the second half is very relaxing. The way Jon crafts this album together is just what makes it work, something that you have to experience for yourself to understand.
very good!!!
Echo dissolve 8/10
Luminous Beings 10/10
Recovery 9/10
luisdelrey2016
► BEST TRACKS: "Singularity", "Emerald Rush", "Feel First Life" and "Recovery"
► WORST TRACKS: "Everything Connected"
adambdonoval
Biggest let-down of 2018? Such an underwhelming album.
1. Singularity - 7.0
8. Luminous Beings - 7.5
9. Recovery - 7.0

70/90 - 77.77/100
goodboiloic
Quality-wise very consistent but nothing surprising, this is the definition of very good background music I guess
ChannelBlonde
More gorgeous instrumentation from John Hopkins,
SmooglyReviews
Wow, I'm not really sure what to say.

Looks like electronic music is having a good year though. But about this album, it's great. Listen to this with headphones on and close your eyes and you'll see why. It puts you into this void in your mind that you never want to leave. It's that good. A few 'eh' moments, but overall I could go on for a while why this album is so good.

Favorite Tracks: Neon Pattern Drum, C O S M, Luminous Beings, Emerald Rush, Everything Connected, Singularity
Least ... read more
best album of the year
amygoodall
good but really annoying
Faber87
Road/Dream trip album, probably the best album of Jon. Superb.
dijkvanruben
Instead of being emotionally overwhelmed, I find my rational mind still very much at work whilst listening to Singularity; to the point where I just said to myself: "WHAT IS THIS ALBUM TRYING TO DO?" As with my initial (failed) attempts, the first half fell flat on its back for me; so flat that its faintness became excruciating to the ear. But then came the second half of the tracklist, changing the atmosphere entirely and (very, very, very) nearly getting to me on an emotional level. ... read more
Mysterymix
C O S M 94
Echo Dissolve 100 (+)
Luminous Beings 97
Recovery 96
Luminous Beings and the singles are some truly amazing songs, but this album doesnt quite live up to immunity overall, as the consistency isnt as high

Little Simz - GREY Area