Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile
Your Queen is a Reptile
andreAnimator
Sons of kermit
itsyahboinoah
Good jazz music nowadays is hard to come by, but thankfully we have been blessed here with this rhythmic and transfixing record. Each of the song titles of "Your Queen is a Reptile" depicts each woman who dealt with segregation. The musicianship here is stellar, dealing with rich sounds of afro-jazz and some Caribbean music that keeps the grooves consistent. My only cons with this record is that not all songs here are great. Tracks such as My Queen Is Ada Eastman and My Queen is ... read more
chunderz
Sons of Kemet's new album, 'Your Queen is a Reptile' takes aim at the British Monarchy, providing an excellent commentary through its rhythms and vocals.

Favourite tracks: My Queen is Ada Eastman, My Queen is Harriet Tubman
holyfishpaste
MY QUEEN IS DANIELE GENTILE (my profile pic)

move aside Kamasi, at a little more than a quarter of the the length, Sons of Kemet succeed here with a record fuzing jazz, reggae, hip hop and world music to an extravagant degree. It's exciting, engaging, familial, inspiratory and succinct. Deeply thematic and political, I feel like I'm listening to a jazz album with real character when most others can really fall into the background after a while. And it really makes you want to get out of your ... read more
DiegoPaim01
Eu sempre quis escutar e aprender mais com o Jazz, mas me falta a paciencia e a força de adaptação pra entrar com tudo no gênero. Ainda assim, de vez em quando, cai no meu colo um disco como esse e eu só posso agradecer por essa sorte. Que discaço! E que som maluco. Adoro o senso de aventura musical que há aqui: vc pode tanto se deixar levar por tudo que esta acontecendo e mergulhar nesse oceano rítmico/musical, ou vc pode tntar explorar os ... read more
Tuba.
NothingToDoubt
Si tuviera que elegir un par de palabra para explicar este LP, serían riqueza y evolución; la tercera entrega de Sons of Kemet me parece una salvajada en cuanto a llevar el Afro-jazz y el Avant-garde Jazz a otros niveles, sumándole el enorme concepto que encuentras tan solo en los nombres de las canciones, utilizando el nombre de mujeres importantes en la historia siempre orgullosa de la raza negra, uno de los lanzamientos más interesantes de este año.
TheRootBoy
Your Queen is a Reptile is not only invigorating jazz, it's a fantastic collaboration of Caribbean, Afro-beat, funk, and dub music to the core. This should be seen as a landmark record for modern jazz.
Uganda
MinatoArisato
A great jazz record with vibrance and energy. Sons of Kemet orchestrate an extremely groovy and rhythmic jazz experience that will have anyone dancing.

Best Track: My Queen Is Anna Julia Cooper
Worst Track: My Queen Is Ada Eastman
amygoodall
good
Goba23
Wonderful listen. Lindiwe Sisulu. RIP
smilycarp5
There are some really great ideas here. Experimental African jazz is never something I thought I would like, but some of it's really fire. However, I think the albums construction leaves a lot to be desired.

Best Tracks:
Harriet Tubman, Mamie Phillips Clark, Yaa Asantewaa, Angela Davis

Worst Tracks:
Albertina Sisulu
yeck
jazz+hip hop+ other genres = some cool jazz
Been coming back to this a lot recently and don't know why but damn is this such a fun listen.

Ada Eastman, Harriet Tubman and Albertina Sisulu are amazing
Chadless
As someone who is studying jazz in school, it’s nice to listen to an energetic and creative jazz album that has its own style and appeal.

Favorite Tracks: MY QUEEN IS ADA EASTMAN; MY QUEEN IS MAMIE PHIPPS CLARK; MY QUEEN IS HARRIET TUBMAN; MY QUEEN IS ANNA JULIA COOPER; MY QUEEN IS NANNY OF THE MAROONS; MY QUEEN IS ALBERTINA SISULU

Least Favorite Track: MY QUEEN IS DOREEN LAWRENCE
#4 My Queen Is Anna Julia Cooper
#7 My Queen Is Yaa Asantewaa
#9 My Queen Is Yaa Asantewaa
Vitaminchick
Don't go into this album thinking it is like most jazz and you'll have a blast.
SmooglyReviews
sons of fuck you
Striking. Powerful. A great redux of the early sounds of jazz. This album pushes jazz forward by looking back to its stripped back, rhythmically intricate, and politically motivated origins.
perlman
The fusion of jazz with African culture has never been so well explored.
Vibrant colorful jazz instrumentation=good album?

Who knew?
Clebmontage
The fusion of afro-jazz with acid jazz, funk and rap in "Your Queen is a Reptile" end up being one of the best albums I've listened in 2018.
NewDawnFadez
An electrifying and tribal take on African jazz music with an undeniable political spark to it, that makes for one of the most enthralling projects of 2018, and certainly the best of its year from the jazz department.

Favorite Tracks: MQI Ada Eastman, MQI Harriet Tubman, MQI Nanny of the Maroons, MQI Yaa Asantewaa, MQI Angela Davis
Least favorite tracks: MQI Doreen Lawrence
dlspslb
vibrant jazz project and a brilliant concept. 55 minutes of joy and vitality that seem like 30, if you just let yourself get lost in this solid groove.

fav tracks: my queen is ada eastman, my queen is harriet tubman, my queen is angela davis, my queen is doreen lawrence
A well constructed jazz record with more than enough to chew on for your average jazz listener, this inevitably came out as one of the strongest jazz records of the year by a mile. The incorporation of world influences and the source matter make for some of the more creative and invigorating music of the year. I didn't have much to say about this record when I first listened but after a few more listens over the last few months the more its had a chance to seep in and really make a difference. ... read more
The_Backdrifter
Sons of Kemet returns with one of the most fun and eclectic Jazz records of the decade.
kneelthedivine
Your Queen Is A Reptile lands as one of the most electric and revitalizing jazz albums of the decade.

Sons of Kemet use scattered spoken word throughout the album, conveying heavy political messages. These segments really give a breath of fresh air to the over-repetitive (yet admittedly infectious) saxophone riffs.

An amazing album for any offbeat jazz fans.
JulianGomez974
Let it be one of the most fun and cohesive records I've heard in this year. I don't have a big knowledge in jazz so whenever I get the opportunity to review it I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. In this case I must say that the hype is real and this is not only one of the most flavory, rich in instruments and unique albums in the genre, but also one that has a very strong concept. The femenine figures that built this release have all been born in Africa and they've been part of either ... read more
Favorite Tracks:

"My Queen Is Ada Eastman"
"My Queen Is Mamie Phipps Clark"
"My Queen Is Harriet Tubman"
DalekTurret32
My Queen Is Ada Eastman [106]
My Queen Is Mamie Phipps Clark [98]
My Queen Is Harriet Tubman [100]
My Queen Is Anna Julia Cooper [95] (-)
My Queen Is Angela Davies [104]
My Queen Is Nanny of the Maroons [98]
My Queen Is Yaa Asantewaa [102]
My Queen Is Albertina Sisulu [102]
My Queen Is Doreen Lawrence [100] (One of the saxophone lines in this track is similar to the one in The Comet Is Coming's Space Carnival)

Overall: [101]
Emme_Strt
Me gusta la vibra de instrumentos de aire y el son que fácilmente se puede bailar, lineal agradable y bastante creativo
M3GAWATT
Incredible music on this album. The tracks are a bit long but they are so intricately crafted that every second on every track matters. Good production and very creative in its execution, this album takes jazz to a whole new level. Probably the best jazz album of the year.
AlexLW_08
▲ My Queen Is Mamie Phipps Clark, My Queen Is Anna Julia Cooper
mattgoold
Sonically bounding forward and rolling onward, and lit up with political themes and attitude, this is a punk rock album hidden in jazz's clothes.
NOW THAT's WHAT I CALL JAZZ
u4ya
Worth to listen!
zaxapitsa
Great album and beautiful concept but I liked their previous one better, not to mention the wonderful "Wisdom of Elders". You can´t go wrong with Shabaka!
DEEPSLEEP