AOTY 2018
Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance
Joy as an Act of Resistance
These guys absolutely fuck
"You look like a walking thyroid"

Line of the year, time to go home!
Strangelightsyd
Where did this come from? How did this happen? Who did this? Why? Where? When? I am so confused and amazed and in love what

Ok I gotta point out that just earlier today I gave a hot take on political music and now here I am, head over heals for this. Aaah the irony...
"I'm a real boy
Boy, and I cry
I like myself
And I want to try
This is why you never see your father cry
This is why you never see your father cry
This is why you never see your father"

Edit: decided to try this album again since Fantano really loves it. My issue with the album is how Idles... while they are definitely increasing the size of their sound, it feels as if it has not fully processed itself to the large stage that they want to present themselves on. It still feels confined... or maybe I’m just pretentious
Cyd
This is really British.
10 POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR!!
10 POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR!!

WOW

For a full 42 minutes, I was rocking the fuck out! This is literal punk perfection and Im holding my ground on that statement.

This could very well end up being my AOTY for 2018!

Idles are a band that know what they want to do musically, and have a fucking blast doing so! The chemistry of the bandmates bleeds out through the music.

P.s. As much as it pains me to say this, this album was better than Parquet Courts' Wide Awake

Fuck ... read more
MarkCooper
This past Sunday night, I had the privilege of seeing Idles live in Columbus. Perhaps the wildest concert I've seen to date, the live setting really brought these songs to life even more than the album performances (if that was even possible). It really got me thinking about what makes Idles special...

There are a handful of things that seem to be sure-fire absolutes in punk music:

1. Politically-charged, brazen lyrics that are easy to follow and reflect the times better than most other ... read more
Even if I don't love all the melodies, and occasionally get sick of Talbot's growling, this is easily one of the best-written albums of the year.

Favorite Tracks: June, Colossus, Never Fight a Man With a Perm, Gram Rock, Television, Love Song

Least Favorite Track: Great
Valeron21
Turn the volume loud. Loud I said. TO THE MAXIMUM, DUDE. Okay, chill now. Chill. Let it get you. Have a blast. HAVE A BLAST, I SAID.
Finally, an opinion:

It's aggressive. It's blunt. It's good. It's important. It's the type of message we need in our society. I don't love it as much as many others do, but I still can get pumped listening to this.
suicidepoetry
SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM GAAAA-- wait wrong artist
dyelir
Reasons I enjoy this site: Seeing which upcoming albums are worth listening to, getting these laughs off in reviews.
Reasons I hate this site: Old bitter white dudes, post-punk motherfuckers who are never correct in reviewing a post-punk album.
76fex
MY BOY FUCKED TOM HIDDLESTON's STYLIST is the only good line (not even)
Audiohype
*Edit* P4K review basically saying they aren't feeling it because the lyrics aren't edgy enough. Should they have made an album whose message is so convoluted that it completely invalidates the rallying cry that 'resistance' calls for? If they don't need to get their thesaurus out I guess you lose 20 points by default. Fact is not everyone does think it's ok to talk about grief, nor does everyone understand what is meant by toxic masculinity.

---

For a man that lost his mother, and a man ... read more
thisisabtlgrnd
"I’m like Stone Cold Steve Austin / I put homophobes in coffins" is my lyric of the year.

For some reason, I never expected IDLES to go as populist as they did here, but it works for them perfectly. Their lyrics and general pissed-offedness are so motherfucking relatable right now, and they do such a killer job of addressing issues that are not just impacting their own country, but the entire West (hell, the entire world). Plus, they've somehow managed to write even catchier ... read more
lemuriams
Too much noise about nothing.
davecoop18
"Keep going!...Keep fucking going!" what a way to end an album
dlspslb
I think this deserves a track-by-track:
Colossus: Massive bass tone and a simple yet effective hook. It keeps growing until it becomes a colossal punk hit with lots of references, what i want in a punk tune. Great opener.
Never Fight A Man With A Perm: Amazing cutting edge riff and an explosive chorus. The lyrics are pretty funny.
I'm Scum: This sounds so british oh my god. Nothing really exceptional about this song, but it is certainly not bad.
Danny Nedelko: Damn, Joe is a really good ... read more
Raincoat
IDLES frontman Joe Talbot claims that the aim of "Joy as an Act of Resistance" is to show the band's vulnerability by offering "a brave naked smile in this shitty new world." But the end product is neither brave nor naked—in fact, it feels downright insincere.

On "Joy...", Talbot endeavours to lay all his social politics out in the open, from Brexit and immigration to religion, to gender roles, and even street violence. A lot to cover in forty-two minutes, ... read more
ChuckActuary
I've never liked grunge rock, my wife made me turn off this album the first time I played it. I want to rate this poorly, I didn't want to believe its the best album this year, but its good. Its so, unexpectedly, freaking good. I find myself singing hooks after the album, craving the versus, and thoroughly enjoying the lyricism.

The underlying idea of album, the context with its presented through the music, and the incredible sound of each respective band member makes a powerful message ... read more
Simplejish
99% of the lyrics speak to me on a deep and personal level
winitheju
No way around this. A monumental achievement and a masterpiece of modern punk music. Didn't love their first record but probably need to revisit after this gem. Wow
Dealing with mental health, toxic masculinity, immigration and even the death of Joe’s daughter, “Joy as an Act of Resistance” is a smart, brilliantly written and aggressive punk album that hooked me with every fucking second!

Fav Tracks: Danny Nedelko, Samaritans, Colossus, June, Gram Rock, Love Song, Great, Television

Least Fav Track: NOPE

Score:
9.6 POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR!!!
Amazing
Blackclover
I thought Brutalism was meh, pretty generic and polished sounding modern punk. This album just feels like its doubling down on those aspects. I absolutely do not see where any of the praise surrounding this mediocre work comes from.
itsyahboinoah
A valiant effort from one of the best new punk bands today. This isn't as good as their debut due to the fact that the songs off here isn't as memorable or in your face. One of the reasons of why I loved their debut was the sticky, sarcastic and vicious hooks and gnarly rifts/drums. This is more a subdue sophomore album from the boys.
Probably my front runner for Album Of The Year for 2018. Not only does it carry over the grit, the punch, the energy and the sharp, biting satire that Brutilism had and more, it also introduces a more vulnerable, innocent side to Idles that shows this band is much much more then just a really good punk band. It's everything the cover indicates: Joy and fun beyond the pain and hardship. 10 points to Gryffindor.

Favorite Jams: Colossus, Samaritans, June, Love Song, Great, Rottweiler, pretty much ... read more
PreeMo
EDIT: Slaps too hard to deny...

A punk record that I enjoy...in which year are we??
My god this album is a rager!! It's fucking awesome, with it's politically charged lyrics and even better performances!! One of the best this year!

Best Tracks: All of em

Worst Tracks: Love song...if i had to pick one
chessmess
So many important messages in this album!

At times dark, and at times inundated by aggressive - yet very well-written - socio-political commentary. Joy as an Act of Resistance is a treasure. Joe Talbot and his band are treasures.

Danny Nedelko is an instant classic.
liammenzies
Wow - another 2018 British sophomore record that was even better than said band's debut (I'll let you guess which act I'm referring to). My hopes were high for this record due to the sheer velocity and hunger that Brutalism radiated but with Joy, it feels like Idles aren't just a band satisfied with doing the same old thing. A lot of socially aware acts from the UK always seem to disappoint with follow up records but Idles bring out a multi-faceted approach on this one, the ways they go about ... read more
laz456
This isn't AOTY territory for me, but Idles have really improved since Brutalism!
goncalomirandaa
Equality, anti-racism, anti-fascism and anti-nationalism. The problems of masculinity and how this rottes society with each passing day. Teach us men how we should treat women and how we should treat ourselves. It's a positive message through violent music. The best album of 2018.
Jaronmeister
They've sacrificed some of the agression of their first record for some more melodic songwriting, but they still sound just as pissed off at everything and everyone, just in a slightly different way, and I couldn't be happier.
aaron
STOKED

Update:
Punk has always been a hit-or-miss for me, and this is just missing me despite my absolute love for this group and their previous record. FUCK, I'm so glad others are enjoying this though, and hopefully this will eventually grow on me.
InModeration
Idles is a force of nature on this album. Those crushing guitars and the very on the nose political themes are proud trademarks of theirs. I'm not the biggest fan of the vocals, but they definitely convey the message well and blend well with the instruments. This album is incredibly mixed but doesn't sacrifice any grit and intensity in the process. Great album.

Lyrics & Themes: 8/10
Performance: 8/10
Arrangement: 9/10
Sonic Palette: 8/10
This album was so good. The band go for a larger more powerful sound than there last album which sounds amazing and the lyrics are probably the most quotable thing I've ever came across
“Joy as an Act of Resistance” is not only the best post-punk album of the year by a pretty decent margin — I could easily see it going down as a classic of the genre. This is some of the most visceral music in recent memory. Such a pummeling and aggressive approach could grow stale so quickly, and yet I could listen to Joe Talbot shout at me all day. I’ve heard people deride the lyrics for being both too radical or too safe, but I think they’re exactly right on ... read more
SoundAura
This is most definitely punk in the modern sense but it feels as if it’s missing something, perhaps the pure rebellious nature that embodies the punk genre. This album does rock at points but there’s inconsistencies that can be found throughout that keep it from living up to its grandiose vision.
Fuck me it’s good

This is the most British thing I’ve ever heard
luna128
it doesnt go as hard as BRUTALISM, and even given that it fails to develop on its ideas. Normally I trash these "diet" albums, but one of the tracks is my girlfriend's name, so, its a masterpiece AOTY yay
ryanreviews
Ok wow so... I was late to the party on IDLES but I am sure glad I got into them just in time to see them release what could potentially be the best punk album of this decade. On “Joy as an Act of Resistance” IDLES show absolutely no holding back on societal issues and are in complete creative control of their sound. The opening track “Colossus” is what it’s very title suggests being a monster of track building and building to a chaotic mess of punk noise with the ... read more
Scuba
Just saw these guys last night in SF and holy shit what a performance!
soqquadro
It's a really good album, but I don't get how it can have such high votes. It's still something that could had been published in the 80's with no one being blown away by it's sound. It's a punk record and there are no innovation in it, if I discovered this band playing in a pub I would be pleased to listen their concert that's it. Lyrics are great and the real standout point of the album, the sound is raw and dirty, making it really enjoyable all trough the record
noonoo97
Sounds like a punky early Kings of Leon, probably works better.

Zayn - Icarus Falls