John Coltrane - Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album
Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album
SeanPassmore
55 years ago on March 6th, 1963, 36-year-old American jazz composer and saxophonist John Coltrane entered his favorite vaulted, wood-and-masonry-block recording studio at 445 Sylvan Avenue, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey for a five-hour long recording session with engineer Rudy Van Gelder. Session producer Bob Thiele had originally scheduled Coltrane (tenor/soprano saxophone) and his quartet McCoy Tyner (piano), Jimmy Garrison (bass) and Elvin Jones (drums) from 2:00pm in the afternoon until ... read more
chairycherry
I swear, if this didn't have the John Coltrane label on it, and it was some other upcoming jazz artist who made it, the reception wouldn't even be close to the positivity and praise this receives.
Midline
I think it should be commended on how clean this sounds for being a "lost recording" The music here from Coltrane and the Quartet is outstanding as usual and 55 years later new music from them still impresses. 11386 is definitely the stand out. Everyone here is on there a game. This doesn't drive the genre forward any as much as more modern stuff does now cause we've heard Coltrane excell the genre at the same time this was recorded but man this one still bops and there's a somewhat ... read more
MiaWatterson
This is actually really good
MinatoArisato
Both Directions At Once is more than just posthumous album made up of unused material, it really does carry it's own weight and just has a remarkable sound., it's amazing what this four-piece jazz outfit is able to accomplish. The drums and bass create technically astounding rhythms to which the piano and Coltrane's ever so sweet saxophone can build on. Some tracks may sometimes over stay their welcome and feel repetitive but this record is still very easy on the ears and is an essential listen ... read more
i did not score this on youtube but its really good
One Person's Opus Is John Coltrane's Lost Album.

Best: Nature Boy, Untitled Original 11383, Untitled Original 11386, Slow Blues
Worst: Villa
marcopive
that's pretty fucking sweet, dude
Great for a jazz album. Jazz for me is an interesting genre of music, I can listen to it for a bit bt not for a long period of time. My biggest complaint with the album is the duration, 1h 30m. The instrumentation is complex and thrilling, but I got tired towards the end. Especially when variations of the same song appeared three times in a row. It may seem like I didn’t like it; but I did. It’s a good album.
Rob_StA
Top Tracks:
Untitled Original 11383
Nature Boy
Untitled Original 11386
Vilia
'Untitled Original' tracks are fucking phenomenal, well up there with the stuff from A Love Supreme, but the other tracks further on in the album are a little lacklustre in comparision.
TheRootBoy
A gem buried under sand and soil that feels timeless and as if Coltrane and the band have been making bops today. Although it doesn't quite stand out or have nearly the ambition that most of his other work does, it is still a strong presence to be kept on your jazz shelf.
While i'm not as antiquated to jazz records as most, I can at lest appreciate the tight, precise and extremely impressive instrumentation, which is composed interestingly and enough to keep this record from being a one stop shop for jazz craziness. It's a interesting and fun jazz record that will leave you wanting more, even if it's a fleeting yearning.

Favorite Jams: Untitled Original 11386, Slow Blues, One Up, One Down

Lest Favorite: Vilia
AnalVape
We do not deserve this hidden gem.

It does not matter that this album was uncovered as late as 2018. It is still an essential Coltrane record, and a must-listen for jazz fans.

best: 11383 - Take 1, Vilia - Take 3, Impressions - Take 3, One Up, One Down - Take 1, Vilia - Take 5, Impressions - Take 1, 11386 - Take 5, One Up, One Down - Take 6

worst: Slow Blues
Emme_Strt
disfrutable, no creo que sea el mejor del año en lo absoluto porque, primero que nada porque esta música no es del 2018, pero en su debida época, apuesto a que es uno de los pioneros del jazz mas importantes, y fuera de eso, es bastante agradable y creativo.
DiegoPaim01
I'm a sucker for jazz. Ainda preciso aprender a ouvi-lo e a ser afetado musicalmente pelo que estou ouvindo, pq o jazz tem um aspecto de indeterminação muito interessante, instigante, mas que para ouvidos acostumados com a música pop mais convencional (seja do gênero pop ou não) pode ser um pouco confuso, fácil de não entender. Este foi mais um disco que peguei pra tntar ouvir, e eu gostei, posso dizer que sim. Qualidade de som incrível ... read more
mattgoold
"Lost recordings" however you want to qualify that are one of the rare occurrences in music that feel like a treat we simply don't deserve. The miracle of finding such a gem for a giant like Coltrane is a big deal. The recording is polished and intimate, the feeling of being in the room is an impossible one to convey and this comes close.
nnxsgny
its existence is a minor miracle in and of itself, and while it doesn't reach the peaks of 'meditations' or 'a love supreme' it's still beautiful.
Oishii
it's fucking great. im blown away at how crisp everything sounds and how you can hear every instrument perfectly. and john coltranes compositional skills here are just as good as ever. i did get a tiny bit bored after impressions 1, 2 and 4 all in a row, but impressions 3 is a great song so i dont even mind
sourcherry24
The finest collection of jazz tunes I've heard this year.
Great as always. Eight months before John Coltrane died, he performed this concert at Temple University.

James Blake - Assume Form
James Blake
Assume Form
Deerhunter - Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Deerhunter
Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow