Muse - Simulation Theory
Simulation Theory
I could give this album a 0/10 and make a snarky joke about how my "prediction" was right, but I'd like to use my spot at top review to share some thoughts rather than jumping on the Muse hate train just for the sake of it.

As we all know, a lot of people stopped taking Muse seriously a while, but Muse is persistent in making their music sound grander than its artistic context. In reality, Simulation Theory is the musical equivalent of fanfiction: it is gimmicky, pandering, and ... read more
Is this considered a hot take? Look, I know that rating looks oddly positive. And this will most likely cost any credibility of having any opinion on this site. I could very easily slap a 30 on this and be done with this while affair. But...damn it, Muse won me over in the end.

Yeah, there is no easy way to say this. As a giant, huge, crushing, absolutly biased Muse fanboy/stan, I have come to the conclusion that this album is...odd. It's tacky, gimmicky, silly, weird, stupid, cheesy, ... read more
And just when we thought Muse couldn't get any worse..

Oh man this album is a FUCKING JOKE

Edit: when Far Cry 3: Blood Dragons' soundtrack does a better job at getting the 80s Digital Retro vibe you were going for, you know you messed up
And I thought that they had sold out in the albums before...

The thing I most hate about this album is how they cash on the 80s trends that have been appearing for some time on mainstream media. It's just a generic, horrible sounding album and Matt's voice doesn't help at all. Just skip it.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
Strangelightsyd
This is making me not regret refusing to see them in march. I don't care how visually impressive a show is, if the music is almost on the same level as Angelic 2 The Core it ain't worth it.
fakeplasticrose
With this and the new imagine dragons coming on the same day we need a savior tbh

Edit: Jesus Christ this is terrible. From the first 5 seconds I knew this whole album would be a total shitshow - that's exactly what it was. No song particularly stands out as being any more than tolerable and through the whole duration I was just waiting for it to be over. Honestly, this score is for the fact that some of it was laughably bad, and that it isn't angelic 2 the core. I give up with muse tbh. ... read more
What a return to form. It's different and wild but this is the best MUSE has sounded since Black Holes. The instrumentation on nearly every track is impressive as hell and the alternative versions are beautiful. The album as a whole feels cohesive musically in ways that Drones didn't. It's the perfect follow up to The 2nd Law while blending the best elements of Black Holes. Algorithm may be a top 3 opener from all their albums.
Blackclover
At least i wasn't disappointed.
frienderman
The artwork looks like an episode of Black Mirror.
zeyadreda
They gonna be working with David Guetta soon
Like the perfect soundtrack to somewhere you really don't want to be.
amw100
Oh no

Edit:

"oh no" was indeed the correct reaction. Muse somehow topped the awfulness of The Resistance, an admirable feat.

P.S. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO PUT A DIDGERIDOO IN A SONG YOU PRETENTIOUS FUCKS
JohnLouisHoward
there are two things that are guaranteed to kill a musician's career, and it's not drugs and alcohol. one is to believe them when they say you are a genius. two is Kate Hudson. Muse hit the exacta.
dyelir

Worst Track:Something Human
LuckLoose
DUDE I LOVE WEEZER
goncalocouto
"Simulation Theory" almost made me puke.

✅ The Dark Side | Pressure
aaron
I always expected Muse to be better than this, hoping that they would snap out of it and release an album worth something.

But it seems all those stating that Muse were sheep wearing Radiohead coats, were right after all. And much like Coldplay their true nature exposed when they chased after the next big trend in sound, perhaps in the future this brand of pop will make Muse "great" and foward-thinking once more, only reason I can imagine that bands continually walk into this sound ... read more
asowersby
the album cover looks like ready player one and the album sound like the movie too.
laz456
Muse and Imagine Dragons are really duking it out right now for worst album of the year. This record is seriously the musical equivalent of the how do you do, fellow kids meme.
NewDawnFadez
On Simulation Theory, Muse deliver an album full of overblown 80’s cliches, and an offensive mess of forced vocal performances, childish songwriting, and a distracting sense of the band taking themselves way too seriously, on an album that practically sounds like a parody. While they’ve always worn some of their influences on their sleeves, I will actually defend Muse’s run of albums from 2001 - 2006. I’m not one of hose listeners who simply hate on Muse for the heck of ... read more
MusicSucks
muse's worst album
Ok. We’re at a point where the quality of their future projects is kind of worrying. The instrumentation is great as always but “Simulation Theory” plays it way too safe, takes itself way too seriously and tries too hard on staying relevant to make it a worthwhile Muse album.

Fav Tracks: Blockades, Pressure, Algorithm, The Dark Side

Least Fav Tracks: Something Human, Propaganda, Get Up and Fight

Score:
4.6
Muh-muh-muh-muh-muh-muh-muh-muh Meeeh Meeeh Meeeh
lemuriams
Kavinsky released the album 5 years ago! Gentlemen, what you do is out of date.
MusicN
Cringy but a bit of fun.
Best songs:
Algorithm
Dig Down
The Dark Side (Alternate Reality Version)

Not too keen on the rest to be honest here guys.
NoCollegeForTyl
Why do people hate it so much it's not that bad I give it a 7 but the score needs to surpass drones
Absolute_Madman
This album was chasing a trend (80s nostalgia) that was damn near dead by the time the actual album came out. This album is a soulless cash grab that killed what little integrity the band had left. It has a few highlights, but most of it's just embarrassing.

3/10

Best Track(s): The Dark Side, Pressure, The Void
Worst Track: Get Up and Fight
Decent

I mean, I usually compare the music on an album to its cover, and here I would say is the perfect example of that. Like the album cover, this album is epic and futuristic as ever.

Color: Yellow
FAV TRACKS: Blockades, Pressure, Algorithm
surplus
this has some good tracks, but the bad ones are almost on the same level as Corey Feldmans music
Muosda1
I really enjoyed the first 3 tracks and the last 3 tracks, but the rest of this is a so unnecessary bland pop mixtape.

What i like about those is the 80s synthpop vibe mixing with a gourgeous production, with that, this album could easily be my favorite from 2018 it just didn't want to, but yea, choises are choices.
Melonade
it's the most Muse-ish album in a while which will please fans, but it's sadly highlighting the shortcomings they had all along rather than their strengths as they commit to a trend without adding anything new nor exciting with the exception of a few songs
The worst Muse album to the date.
MinatoArisato
Muse is a band that I really used to respect, records like "Origin of Symmetry" and "Absolution" were great and pretty original but as time has gone by they have gone more and more down the rabbit hole of mediocrity leading us to Simulation Theory. This record is just boring and unoriginal, Muse try desperately to capture this outdated 80's sci-fi sound that just comes of us cheesy and extremely gimmicky and make pretty much every song on this album feel absolutely bland and ... read more
tinymusiccritic
[Editor’s Note: In a first for the world of music journalism, the following review of Muse's 8th studio album, Simulation Theory, was reviewed by an artificially intelligent “virtual music critic,” in a simulated reality environment. It has since transpired that, due to partial CPU-burnout as a result of negligent handling of a coffee-based beverage, the simulation was forced to operate at diminished capacity whilst the “critic” listened to and reviewed the ... read more
Claytastic
“People talk loud when they wanna act smart, right? So if we play loud, people might think we’re good!”
jtas19
Wow, i was expecting this to suck donkey dick but i was really surprised by this LP. A lot of fun to listen to but the bad songs (Something Human, Get Up And Fight) are really really bad.
I would rate it higher, because songs like Propaganda, Break It to Me && Blockades are top tier Muse, but on the other hand, Something Human & Get Up and Fight are horrendous, so I can only put it here.
WildChameleon
Not as meh as I excepted ! While some tracks like Pressure or the dark side are pretty nice to listen, other are so flat (oh gosh something human ...).

This album delivers minimal arrangements compare to what electronic is possible just to be massive seller. It's a shame because technology is one of the biggest thematic of the album. The songwriting is really not excited. I don't have more to say.

Simulation theory reminds me the experience I had with artict monkeys last album. It's not ... read more
barchamb13
Gone are the days of absolution.
I'm sticking with the theory that if there were no words... this would be a whole lot easier to digest. Now, I know that's kind of a big deal, but instrumentally I feel the vibes and I like them. Just a little less, on the nose, super spooky naff blade runner ideas please.
Charlie99
I mean, at least it wasn't as bad as the singles made it out to be, but it's still not good. There were a few deep cuts on here that showed glimmers of hope ("Algorithm", "Blockades", "The Void"), but the album felt so cheap and rushed, like the band released Dig Down as a stand alone single over a year ago and then went "Hey, we should write an album around this" and then wrote a discount Stranger Things soundtrack to fill out another ten tracks, with ... read more
Audiohype
I suppose they really wanted this album to sound futuristic or something, but I still find the dramatic overproduction on every track pretty unbearable. Songs like 'The Dark Side' and 'Blockades' are legitimately well constructed songs, but even these are difficult to appreciate beneath the suffocating layers of synths. 'Algorithm' is a dull opener which never really lifts off, it sets the tone for the entire album. 'Something Human' and 'Get Up and Fight' are unforgivably trashy. ... read more
MiaWatterson
I'm so disappointed with Muse... I don't like this new vibe, I guess I'm a hardcore Muse fan now since my favourite album is Showbiz.
Fvourite Track: Pressure
Worst: I can't even choose because I dislike almost everything about this LP.
Songsearcher1
This album was bound to be bad, so I can't say I'm disappointed. Some of the poppier songs are actually pretty good.
notbuzzzila
I have lost hope
kappachino
Gonna give this a 100 to bump it higher than Drones
slickleg
N/R

I'm too apprehensive to listen to this because I'm absolutely certain I will hate every last second and will never want to listen to Muse again.

Also, look at the state of that album cover. Kek.
SarHeatCeadrest
This album makes MANIA by Fall Out Boy look like a Radiohead album by comparison.

American Football - American Football