Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Remind Me Tomorrow
amw100
In a day with so many big releases, it's almost easy to forget Sharon Van Etten even released an album today, that is until you listen to this beautiful thing. This album is one of, if not the best pop albums of the decade, and a strong early AOTY contender. I love pretty much everything about this album, and i'm extremely happy that this is one of the albums we open this year with. I'll tell you right now, this is a high bar she set for albums for the rest of the year, and i can say that this ... read more
holowna
Sharon's latest record is significantly punchier and more idiosyncratic in comparison to her previous "Are We There." While her lyricism takes a bit of a backseat in favor of more anthemic, instrumentally expressive production, this record still offers much of her usual pensiveness. Either way, she delivered and I'm very happy.

Rating: Great to Outstanding (80).
gotta take off that opener fam

other than that none of these songs are bad
dearsongs
While the singles didn't grab me much leading up to this, all three tracks are sounding really nice right now...

The run of No One's Easy to Love>Memorial Day>Comeback Kid>Jupiter 4>Seventeen is pretty great.

Wish I liked the opener and closer more than I do, but other than that I really enjoy this.
MiaWatterson
I need to go back to it but it seems to be good
An early contender for what will be one of the stronger albums of the year, this is a smart work in which no amount of sound space is wasteful or out of place. The production across this record is the true highlight, with the vibrant tones and instrumentation complimenting Van Etten's voice well. I haven't delved into the artists work much up to this point, but this record is an encouraging reason to do so.

Favorite track: Memorial Day
MusicSucks
Remind Me Tomorrow is a very solid, cohesive and immersive pop record. Sharon has some sweet, but personality-rich, vocals that work very well with the aesthetics she's going for. The keyboard centred instrumentals are well textured, making for a laid-back, but still consciously worked on, atmosphere. The songwriting has surpassed my expectations and the production is also very good.
Overall, this is a surprisingly great synthpop little thing, very fluid and complete.

FAV TRACKS - Memorial ... read more
When I heard “Seventeen” for the first time before coming into this record, I knew I was in for a treat! The rest of “Remind Me Tomorrow” shares pretty much everything from that track. The new, dark synthpop sound is great and Sharon Van Etten’s songwriting are phenomenal! It’s not perfect, though. The second half of the record isn’t as consistent as the first half and “I Told You Everything” is kind of a weak opener. But those are only tiny ... read more
I get some serious St. Vincent energy at times, which isn't a bad thing. I always want more from Sharon because she speaks the same language as my soul. 'Seventeen' is a very good song and continues to grip me every time I hear it. Overall a good album that doesn't reinvent the wheel, but never claims it is trying to.
The first half or so of this album is pretty amazing, but it becomes a bit less interesting in the second half. Overall though, Remind Me Tomorrow is a super solid work full of gorgeous and haunting hooks and smart production. I love the way the synths hang over songs like a thick fog; it adds so much without me even additionally realizing it. I love a lot of the stuff here but it lacks the consistency throughout to make me fall in love, but who knows? That could change with a few more ... read more
dlspslb
Very mellow instrumentation and a sweet voice in this cohesive project. However, I don't think it is very consistent. It has considerable highs, but some tracks are a bit underwhelming. I like the instrumental/vocal interaction, but i think it can be a little tedious at some points. Worth a listen tho...

Fav Tracks: Comeback Kid, Jupiter 4, Seventeen, Hands
Least Fav Tracks: You Shadow

Edit: kind of a grower?
original score:68
Space Vacation
Starting off slow in 2019 but Remind Me Tomorrow gives me immediate hope for a strong year.
rydenoir
"Remind Me Tomorrow" is a very well produced indie pop album whose sometimes lackluster songwriting can be overlooked due to how well the record flows and sounds. With great ideas coming out of this LP, Sharon Van Etten delivers a stylistically great but substantially underwhelming record who's biggest flaw is that when it's all said and done, it left very little for me to remember this record by.

~
"Remind Me Tomorrow" was the first album I checked out from Sharon Van ... read more
matteo
It's been four and a half years since Sharon Van Etten released "Are We There," and in that time it has revealed itself to me as a true classic. The first six songs on it and the closer are simply some of the mostly flawlessly written and immaculately sung ballads of this decade. Initially, I am impressed and delighted by her new album, I just can't help but wonder if I will still want to listen to these songs in 2024. Maybe I will: the stand out track, "Seventeen," feels ... read more
76fex
(yawns in mauve)
luisfeacevedo
A strong album with cool ideas. A sentimental album and good after all. She does some really cool stuff with those synthetizers. Buzzz it is not the biggest thing personally. It is a bit monotone and boring sometimes. There are some tracks like seventeen and comeback kid that are powerful and amazing. Maybe it deserves a higher score, but it is not for me definitely as a whole album.
Sleezus
An absolutely amazing journey this album is. An extremely great album to relax and vibe to.
fakeplasticrose
With "Remind Me Tomorrow," Sharon van Etten has released what is already sure to be one of my favourite albums of the year. It's nothing revolutionary by any means, however it is an incredibly well-constructed and interesting pop record. Lyrically, it has a lot of personality and flair which is definitely a huge part of the appeal, and Van Etten is an incredibly talented songwriter, and I'm excited for what she has to offer next.
This has some of the coolest moments I have ever seen on a Synthpop record. Like there were a couple moments where I was just taken aback and was like "Wow, this is really great". The rest of the album was still good but it was not consistently incredible but still solid through and through.

Favs: Comeback Kid, Seventeen, Hands
hellodecatur
Definitely the antidote she needed after the cloying, overly-sentimental Are We There, but not much greater of a "singer songwriter goes feral" moment than something like Angel Olsen's My Woman or Thao's A Man Alive. There's a sense of limitless freedom on tracks like "No One's Easy to Love" and "Malibu" that make me instantly want to replay them, but the blueprints of Van Etten's simplistic four-chord writing linger, not always in a welcome way. The false start of ... read more
CheapandLethal

3. Stay
2. Jupiter 4
1. Seventeen
TheBravesDH
Am I the only one that thinks the even tracks were way better than the odds? Poor choice for an opener that sets a dull tone early. Almost made me turn off right there, but I'm glad I stuck around for gems like Comeback Kid and Seventeen.
Damn between this and Assume Form 2019 has started well
Farlov
Pretty good. I enjoyed many of the tracks here, and i was actually quite engaged throughout. I don't get why so many seem to be bored by this? There are plenty of albums within this style of music that is a far more dry experience to get through. However, i am not completely head over heels about anything on here. So yea, a pretty good album, but not much more than that for me.

EDIT: feeling it growing on me a bit. I might also be the only one who really likes the opener, for some reason.
InModeration
Remind Me Tomorrow is a really interesting step for a singer-songwriter type artist to take. The production is ever the present while not draining any of the emotional depth away. It has no shortage of emotional lyricism and passionate vocals. The only glaring issue is the general lack of originality. It took me awhile to appreciate this project solely because I have heard much of what Sharon Van Etten does on this album before, and done better at that. It's not much of an indictment, because ... read more
AsencioSantiago
Sharon Van Etten comes back for her fifth studio album with incredible sounds and production. Her simplicity on lyrics but that feel touching in a way. “Songs like no ones easy to love” and “seventeen” having a bass ready to explode making the song more emotional, the dreamy starry keys complements very well too. “You shadow” with a organ sound and a uplifting part making a happy part on the album other song like this is “stay” that have a lofi ... read more
Although this record did not blow me away, a lot of what 'Remind Me Tomorrow' has to offer is enjoyable and is a step in the right direction for Sharon Van Etten's music imo. This record is more punchier and expansive than its predecessors and features some uniquely put together synthpop tunes that don't overstay their welcome. Personally, I would prefer her records to be more vibrant and expressive rather than more lyrical and laid back.
yasiryobel
Boring and lifeless, with rare moments of creativity.
palomacola
Her voice just slaps you with history - she is singing from inside my guts. Love the production on this album. Didn't know how much I needed 'Seventeen'.
+: gr9 cover art
-: “you shadow” is fiona-apple-meets-the-black-keys-circa-‘brothers’
itsyahboinoah
wow.....a Sharon Van Etten album I actually like that I can listen from start to finish without getting bored lol.
Starts relatively strong and finishes with the two most diverting cuts, which makes you think maybe you missed something.

After a few tries I realise I hadn’t missed anything - the middle stretch is deeply average, and overall this release feels very middle of the road.

I can’t bump this as high as a 65%...so NR this time.
ColinAndrews
Wow. What a talent. The songwriting prowess is magnificent. The way that she experiments with sounds is mesmerizing. Her voice manages to walk the line between dream like and hyper realistic.

But man the middle dragged for me. Not saying that they were bad songs, but the songs starting and ending this project were super powerful.

That being said, this is far from something to scoff at. A wonderful album in its own right.
GRIMES

NOTA: 81/100
Jonathan00
Amazing
WildChameleon
Sharon Van etten does a cool transition but not fully accomplished.
She has cool and direct lyrics, remind me tomorrow is a great title because these are about the pain in past, struggle to present and incertain future. These topics are easy to understand but she is in competition with so much more albums of 2018 that her songwriting need to be nearly perfect. And here is the first main problem.
There is any nuance and any subtility. It's a truck in the ear (I didn't need the writing to ... read more
GeorgeGreen
I brought back my Sharon Van Ettem fandom with this album. Seventeen is the best song obviously, such an anthem.
prefixopolli
Do guarda-chuva singer-songwriter, que não devia dizer muita coisa, mas diz muito. Música sentimental, seguindo a linha de St. Vincent e até mesmo de PJ Harvey.

⭐️No One's Easy to Love
⭐️Comeback Kid
⭐️Seventeen
After issuing this album we can be sure that Sharon will headline festivals this or next year. It is like a typical alternative stadium music that you actually can listen and you listen with pleasure. Something like Florence + The Machine.

Universe555
It dragged. A lot.
hmj
catchy, dreamy, pretty goof album

can get repetitive
myloveiscool
In two words, nostalgic and emotional. Besides a couple of early tracks on the slightly boring side, this is an admirable album, crushing it in all aspects sonically.

Standouts: Seventeen, You Shadow

7.9/10. Very good.
Hawros
The two singles are the tentpoles that the rest of the silky, mournful, woozy canvas is draped around. Stunning.
Kanye
Oh this is really really good synth pop my god, it’s not personally something I LOVE though. It’s just a great record I occasionally play

EDIT: nah I love it nvm
ieatcheesepie
damn my opinion changed on this a lot. After a third listen i realised this sounds pretty great. honestly... i dont know how i disliked it.
SHARON! Early contender for AOTY! Bless my ears
I want to go back 17
A solid collection of songs, especially those where Sharon shows her reflective songwriting with large and luxurious soundscapes like 'Jupiter 2', 'Stay' and 'Memorial Day', she also shows her more hard-hitting rock side with songs like 'Seventeen' and 'Comeback Kid'. My only criticism would be simply, this is not as cohesive as I would like, it seems a little thrown together especially the transition in between 'Memorial Day' and 'Comeback Kid', also there are some moments where Sharon's voice ... read more
Colorfulover
A very sweet project ! Despite some fillers, I feel this album is very dream-like and quite intimate overall.

Ariana Grande - thank u, next