Toro y Moi - Outer Peace
Outer Peace
PreeMo
Toro y Moi himself, vocal-wise, is so unessential to his own project that it's sad...

The production is at the beginning of the album quite charming, but gains a stale and boring character pretty quickly...

Forgettable...
Funky and pleasant but there's nothing barely interesting here except for production.
dlspslb
The vocal performance on this thing is fucking terrible, immensely uninspired project. Clothing shops are probably rubbing their hands while hearing this underwhelming load of trash.
LepardRyan
a handful of enjoyable moments. this plays more like a mood playlist than an album. There's just little ambition to toro y moi's music. It comes off as if the intent was to create background music. The occasional catchy groove, but nothing that really grabs me.
Parts of this were so cool or interesting but for the most part it just felt pretty boring. The production was great. Freelance and Who Am I were great tracks but the rest just kind of felt rather uninspired, while still being well put together and cohesive. This album just failed to stand out from the pack in any way shape or form for me.
MiaWatterson
This is nasty, don't lose your time with it.
I mean at least New House is sick
Z.Younk
As always his production and overall vibe is meticulously crafted and very enjoyable, equal parts laid back chillwave and funky electronic, but the lyrics and contributions from featured guests leave a lot to be desired and cause it to fall very short of expectations. It would've almost been better as all instrumentals.
MusicSucks
Toro y Moi's new album sounds like your typical background music. Let's see, I can imagine the most energetic tracks being played on a fifa game, the ones that are more funky on a bar near the beach, and the chiller ones could just be out of a James Blake record.

The worst part seems to be the vocals, which, sadly, show bad performance and writing. They are uninteresting, and could really pass unnoticed.

However, this sounds promising as there are good aspects like the production and the bass ... read more
It's a fun album with bright and bouncy beats across the track list. However, the vocals usually falter between uncomfortable and unmemorable, with a few high points being in song topics like fashion or skateboarding.

Favorites: Fading, Ordinary Pleasure, New House, Freelance, Monte Carlo, 50-50

Worst: Miss Me
jimegomeza
está curiosito
PatrickL0419
Idk man you really do get what you expect on a Toro y Moi record, and I think for the most part, this record delivers.
itsyahboinoah
On Toro y Moi newest record Outer Peace shows the artist sticking to his guns with creating a short enjoyable and danceable album. With his last album boo boo taking a more 80s synth approach, with this album Moi's isn't stepping out of his comfort zone and attempts to make a quirky synth driven pop album. With the production on here being hit n miss, what I appreciate about this album is some of Moi's lyrics. For instance, take the track 'Ordinary Pleasure' in which he mentions how getting ... read more
A highly uninspired and boring album. There are few highlights throughout this incredibly basic collection of songs, with decent production saving one or two moments from being flat out terrible.

Best Track: Freelance (this actually bops)
distraughtonaut
Outer Peace is an interesting album because, for me at-least, it actually got worse with repeat listens. Now that's not to say this is a terrible album. But when I first listened songs like Ordinary Pleasure really caught my ear as something special and fresh that I hadn't really heard before, and it still does. Now that I have listened through a couple times that song still holds but the rest is sinking. Sinking in odd autotune and an aura of laziness and repetition that I can't quite put my ... read more
Where is the Toro from the chillwave times of Causers of This, or even Anything in Return which is closer to Outer Peace music.
Alternaive R&B&F that is sometimes catchy and would be quite pleasant while waiting until your girlfriend end shopping in H&M. But those vocals... Listen to i.e. "Freelance" and you'll understant how bad it is.
wyattflowers
Faves: Laws of the Universe, Who Am I, Freelance, Monte Carlo, 50-50,
I like this album the best of all his catalogs.
It's bedroom-funk album.good for me.
UmeNDmadonna
Honestly this album is perfect for a road trip, or simply for a really chilled out get together. It has a funky, but vibey bassline and a very modern twist of synth lines to it. Their limited edition vinyl is also something to look out for! All in all, very pleased with how the album flows. Best track from the album would be "Ordinary Pleasure", constantly listening to it in repeat in the car :)
vali
jackmcguigan96
Apart from the undeniably catchy and bop inducing 'Ordinary Pleasure,' Toro y Moi's 'Outer Peace' just feels like a really long DJ set at a cool new bar that I don't really want to listen to. It ends up making me feel like I would much rather just go to kick-ons at mine, where I can play my own music instead.
pkat
I love Toro y Moi’s general aesthetic and I wanted to love this album as much I as love the idea of loving it. Unfortunately I have to admit it kinda sucks.

Outer Peace’s singles hinted at an album chock full of funky grooves, and the opening tracks “Fading,” “Ordinary Pleasure,” and “Laws of the Universe” definitely deliver. Yet, something about the tunes kinda feels like drinking from a spoiled milk carton. A little sour and a little ... read more
Music_Observer
Trying to balance a rather fine line between being peaceful and being engaging, it really ended up being neither in the grand scope of the whole work. This album was made up of lots of cut up, fragmented material that tried to sound in touch with what sells in the pop market - a bad play in itself - while being fully masked by spacious, unique synth atmospheres.

For one, it's really tough to be successful when the melodic language only consists of two or three notes repeating the same ... read more
Corey_Larkin
Fun and groovy songs interwoven with downtempo emo-trap. Chaz explores his musical polarities as he shifts tones back and forth on this project.
Not too interesting of a Synth Funk and R&B fusion.

Best Tracks: Ordinary Pleasure, Miss Me, Baby Drive It Down, Who Am I, 50-50

Worst Track: Fading
Knxckebeatz
Fuck the faggot who told me to "check this cause it's amazing"
jmilton
Best since Anything in Return; sharp, synth-led pop with a hint of disdain laying beneath the sheen.
ChrisMan
For the most part, this album hits on every note. The majority of the songs here are fun and funky. But at other times can be repetitive and kinda boring but that really only applies to two songs. The others are just what I was looking for in synth funk.

Best song: Freelance
Worst song: Miss Me
kalle02
This album is peak Toro y Moi. Freelance 10/10.
uhTragic
fav: ordinary pleasure, new house, miss me, who I am,
Fun production but gets very boring in second half
Viberantweb
This album is without question the next step in Toro y Moi’s ever evolving sound, it’s more upbeat than previous endeavours. It’s bold yet smooth synthpop is infectious and the slick autotune feels youthful. It’s a project that sounds free of any negativity that could possibly hold Toro back.

max2k
I'm allowed to love this!

favs: Fading, Ordinary Pleasures, Laws of the Universe, Freelance, Who I Am, Monte Carlo, 50-50

Least favs: Miss Me, Baby Drive It Down
Ideekay
Outer Peace sees Chaz Bundick turning his eyes on the dancefloor again but doesn't quite abandon the sounds he explored on Boo Boo.

Fav Songs: Laws Of The Universe, Freelance, Who Am I
Least Fav Songs: Miss Me, Monte Carlo
iamnicmoore
QUICK THOUGHTS: Sadly, Chaz's albums have been on a slow decline ever since 2013's Anything In Return. Outer Peace is full of obnoxious instrumental quirks and shallow songwriting. Mostly demo-sounding tracks with a few redeeming moments.

BEST TRACKS: WHO AM I, LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE

WORST TRACKS: BABY DRIVE IT DOWN, MONTE CARLO

4.4/10
josecarloslopes
Favorite tracks : ORDINARY PLEASURE, LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE and FREELANCE.
therealkeifer
Really loved the production on this and Toro y Moi does a great job on that front. What brought this album down was the lack of necessary energy and the dispensable vocals, from featured artists and Toro, on some of these tracks. This project does have it's highlights though, as forgettable as it may be.
TheRootBoy
I have never actually listened to a Toro y Moi album before now. I've always known of the guy and who he's worked with and kind of experienced him through that faded frame. If you ask me, as groovy and sensual the album can be, it's kind of like I'm listening to some Of Montreal side project. That's probably the most my criticism can reach, because as my first full on exposure to Mr Moi, I like the textures and quirkiness to Outer Peace. Sure, some tracks come off less inspired or vibe-y than ... read more
MaxAutunno
there is just about nothing that stand out on here. sounds nice, but it's not interesting what so ever.
Although I recognize those who fault this record for having somewhat uninspired vocals, I don't think that this album was ever concerned with that. I think Toro y Moi wanted to produce a fun, funk-inspired album with heavily encompassing production and other-worldly synth instrumentation. Looking towards that, this album was a complete success, as the production across this album is a mid-tempo, high energy and chill release that is never taking itself so seriously that the listener can't enjoy ... read more
goodboiloic
Very poor vocal performance and uninspiring melodies overall.
nickfleece
There's a couple catchy songs here and there, but I really don't understand the appeal. There is no reason for me to come back to this.

This is bad
Mimikyu
Very funky album! Outer Peace is not a groundbreaking album by any means but the sounds and production sound fantastic. Similarly to Boo Boo, this album is best in the background while you're at a party or studying.
notbuzzzila
It's sweet. Everyone's pseudo-shitting on it but I like it
I really wanted to like this considering how much I enjoyed 'Boo Boo', 'Toro Y Rome' and 'What For?' and it was on track to do so cinsiderin it starts off by crating a cohesive and well-constructed vibe with the songs 'Fading' and 'Ordinary Pleasure' as well with the groovier 'Laws of the UNiverse', but after that it slowly descends into forgettable mediocrity like 'New House', 'Baby Drive It Down' and 'Monte Carlo'. These songs fail to be repeatable or leave any resemblance of a memorable ... read more
bertdrew
8. Who Am I - 7.0
9. Monte Carlo - 8.0
10. 50-50 - 5.0
This dude straight up sounds like Rivers Cuomo

But seriously though, this is extremely boring and forgettable
EiDouVarg
Straying away from the chillwave sound he once thrived on, Toro y Moi has release a good album with a multitude of sounds that vary across each track. Some songs don't hit as well as others, and the vocals on "Freelance" are ridiculous. Other than that, not a bad album
bydanielaloss
The cover says it all! Its sound is modern and retro, interesting and cool, however, I think that what the album as a whole suffers from identity crisis.

The single 'Freelance' is a great entertainment that takes advantage of the absence of Daft Punk in the pop scene to drag us to the dance floor as did the French duo in its early days, when they were much more funk than nightclub.

Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water