You Tell Me - You Tell Me
You Tell Me
PatrickL0419
You Tell Me's adherence to a baroque pop aesthetic is commendable, but they make a fairly inconsistent mix of their varying influences, not all of which draw a distinct line between homage and pastiche.
Beautiful, lavish production, but the vocals are pretty much generic art pop, and the songwriting isn't that complex either, despite having some nice choruses and verses here and there.

Favorites: Enough to Notice, Get Out of the Room, Foreign Parts, Water Cooler, Clarion Call, Josuka, Kabuki

Worst: No Hurry
Sarah Hayes brings out the best in Peter on this You Tell Me project, making for some of the catchiest and most refined tracks in either of their catalogues. But the lows are low, and some of the softer tunes here are laborious to get through.

Give A Listen To: “Enough To Notice”, “Get Out Of The Room”, “Water Cooler”, “Clarion Call”, “Invisible Ink”

Least Favorite Track: “No Hurry”
lukassantiago3
You Tell Me's LP feels like, you know there's something. It's there, but ok, just keep going like nothing happened at all. Nothing outstanding.
Tsareena
A mixed bag for me. Elements of this was pretty fun especially the drums on a few tracks and the vocals. However the slower songs didn't mix well with the more pop ones for me.
Fave: Get Out of the Room, Water Cooler
Beekeeper
This is a really good album you guys are just mean.

You Tell Me is the collaboration of one half of Sunderland indie pop band Field Music, Peter Brewis, and Sarah Hayes of Admiral Fallows. While it exists very much in the same world of Field Music's pastoral pop, with plenty of rich, baroque-pop instrumentation and soft earworm melodies, You Tell Me lean more into the folk and singer-songwriter end of their influences. It doesn't have the groove of a Field Music album, and their songwriting as ... read more
This folky soft-prog-rock thingy sounded like a school project, which I didn't mind with its interesting arrangements that really didn't draw me in......
surplus
You Tell Me doesn't really offer anything I haven't heard before. This Album ends up sounding like a boring, standard Indie Pop album.
It’s alright for the most part. The baroque-indie pop sound is pretty cool and the lyrics can be well-written but it’s nothing I’ll remember nor is it anything that I’ll return to. Overall, pretty standard indie stuff.

Fav Tracks: No Hurry, Water Cooler, Enough To Notice, Springburn, Jouska

Least Fav Track: Get Out Of The Room

Score:
6.7
Decent
You Tell Me creates a incredibly diverse album with the musical styles of Baroque,Folk,Art and Indie pop

Best Tracks: Enough to Notice,Water Cooler,Springburn,No Hurry,Jouska,Invisible Ink,Starting Point

Worst Track: Kabuki
LilGatorade
Fuck this album it's so gay and bitchy
NewDawnFadez
Despite a rough start, somewhat amateur production, and shaky writing, You Tell Me craft some pretty indie rock with an intelligent baroque influence. I suppose I wish there was more going on in the structures of these tracks though.
NarrativeCoffee
After a few listens, I guess it's not my thing at all. The start of the album is way too boring, going halfway it gets a bit better, Could even say that, in some way it turned my expectations up, I thought they were going to get more experimental with the harmonizations but unfortunately they didn't. And at the end it gets even more boring.
As a good fact, some tracks were kind of calming but at the same don't think I ever listen to this again.
What kind of music is this? Genuine question lol. Art pop? Orchestral Folk? Baroque Indie? I don't know man... with a quiet and mellow tone, I believe that this album serves well to those who have an undefined music taste (whatever that means, it sounds right). Some chord progressions are pretty original and silly, and it definitely adds more of an indie feel to this project. Takes a while to pick-up, but chill and thoughtful lyrics make up for it. You know what? It's pretty cool, but you tell ... read more
A decent record that gets off to a slow start, but by the halfway point picks up significantly in quality. Its combination of baroque pop and indie works in places, however can fall short when the group clearly take little risk beyond that. At times it is hard to tell apart songs, but nothing about this record is un-listenable. A safe and unique album that will probably be forgotten as the year goes on.

Best Track: No Hurry

James Blake - Assume Form
James Blake
Assume Form
Deerhunter - Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Deerhunter
Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow