Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings
Universal Beings
TheBigTone
Here's what I know:

If Makaya McCraven, Thundercat and Kamasi Washington don't team up into a jazz-man-super-league soon I will fucking scream SO loud.
shoutout to music tbh
CheapandLethal
Worth a listen
Pretty sweet and chill jazz records. Although sometimes really repetitive, most of the project is creative, relaxing and just nOiCe. I don't think it's better than Your Queen Is A Reptile due to some minor insatisfactions but overall, it's pretty good. Check it out!
TheGoffOff
An enjoyable listen, for sure, but too many times I found myself thinking how much better these songs would be with a vocalist/rapper on top. It's not that they're unpleasant -- just monotonous. Too many of the tracks needed to either (a) develop more or (b) have a solid melody.

That said, I particularly enjoyed the second section of the album. That alone probably brought this up from a 60-65. Atlantic Black specifically is a standout because the frenetic energy is absolutely intoxicating. I ... read more
sumrapsungs
remarkable.
SmooglyReviews
This album requires patience, lotsss of it.

I think it's always great to go out there and challenge yourself with an album. And that's exactly what I wanted to do here. I'm definitely not too familiar with the jazz genre and I'm DEFINITELY not used to sitting through and hour and a half album on a daily basis. Knowing this I had heard great things about the album and it's presence really interested me. This album is split into four parts, each about 5-6 tracks long each. Each of these sections ... read more
neyno
A genre-blending and psychedelic brand of improvisational jazz that borrows freely from hip-hop genre conventions. Phenomenal work that marks one of the musical high points in 2018, for me.

Run the Jewels - RTJ4