21 Savage - i am > i was
i am > i was
YungNoodle
Biggest surprise of the year
The maturity of this album is clear as day. It just sounds so much better than anything else Savage has done. His style is being improved greatly here. It is a very fun project with great hooks and production.
It is nice to see 21 grow a bit and express some vulnerability. Although there are some songs that feel like filler if you just look at the topic of the song but really they don't feel like filler because those songs are great songs by themselves. Although I wish there are more deep tracks on the album though. Incredibly solid project.

BEST- a lot, break da law, gun smoke, 1.5, all of my friends, can't leave without, asmr, ball w/o you, good day, monster, letter 2 my momma, 4L
luna128
#free21
I don't know why this is being so hyped. Honestly, I don't see anything that interesting here...
BFunk32
One of the best trap albums of the year and probably top 20 for rap overall. 21 has a great flow and instead of just rapping about Pussy he talks about a lot of different subject matters. The production left me speechless. This is a great album and worth a listen
D E P O R T E D
rydenoir
It seems that "I am < I was" would have been a more appropriate title for 21 Savage's sophomore album.

~
Having burst onto the rap scene in 2016 after the Metro Boomin collaboration tape "Savage Mode", 21 seems to have progressively changed his sound. From the cold-hearted, ruthless killer that 21 portrayed in his "Slaughter Tapes" and Metro collaborations, to the radio-friendly, pop/trapstar that is just searching for the next radio hit "i am > i ... read more
PcPowerUp
This is insane. I haven't enjoyed a single 21 project throughout his career but I've always appreciated what he did. His features in 2018 were some of the best features of the year so I was genuinely excited for this. I am not disappointed. 21 managed to make one of the most insane and hard hitting trap albums ever. Issa trap classic!

best tracks: a lot, all my friends, good day, monster (it's so fucking good to hear Donald rapping again)

worst track: can't leave without it (Lil Baby and ... read more
I prefer his more cold blooded songs but at the same time, the growth is very refreshing
PreeMo
*speechless*
Z.Younk
Didn't really like anything until "Can't Leave without it" and was prepared to shit on it, but from that song on, they're some of his best tracks. 21 definitely showcases some more range and versatility than he has before, and delivers a more cohesive record than Issa.
I was especially hype ab that Project Pat feat
SuedeGripProd
Soft enough to be a christmas album. How "savage" is rhyming snuggle with cuddle?
justice for my mans 21
A murky, dark and childishly funny entry in this young rappers discography. Everything about this is a vast improvement upon his more than disappointing debut, also bringing a clear maturity to the table. Even though he still runs through some of the typical hip-hop cliches of gang violence, drugs, sex etc., the maturity of Savage has grown astronomically. Some minor issues I have is that often the production and style of the album wears a little thin, being as long as it is as well as Savage's ... read more
createaccount
21 dicks in mouth
laz456
How many mediocre tracks?

A lot.
amygoodall
bruh
jacksample
I’m so surprised by this album. 21 sounds like he had a real creative direction that he wanted to pursue on this album, and he ends up producing one of the more fun and enjoyable trap albums of the year. Production is pretty great on most tracks and 21 even makes some attempts to make his delivery more interesting here and there. Obvious this album doesn’t move the moon and the stars but it is enjoyable and fun to say the least.
Claytastic
I’ve always enjoyed 21 Savage more as a feature artist or in a duo thanon his own. A lot of the time he sounds like he’s about to fall asleep. This new project still finds him in those trappings at times, but he sounds a lot more confident on quite a few cuts. This coupled with some great features (minus Project Pat) and production decisions make for what I’d say is the most tolerable 21 Savage solo album yet. But, you know, there’s still quite a bit of boring on display ... read more
Toasty
21 really gave us gift to end the year with. I am> I was is a mix 21 letting us know he can expose his vulnerable side while keeping true to his murder days. The project had a many standouts with the occasional filler song. His use of features on the album were superb and most featured artist killed their verses on tracks such as A Lot (J.Cole), and Good Day (Schoolboy Q). Overall very surprised with the versatility of Savage.

Standout Tracks: A Lot, Monster, 4L

Thoughts & Takeaways:
- 21 is more focused and sentimental than ever
- Childish Gambino dissapoints, while J. Cole & Q give above average verses
- The production is average
- The senseless violence and sex tracks are pretty bad
birdmanslawyer
Issa, while an enjoyable record, was nowhere near as cohesive and dark his collaboration with Metro Boomin on Savage Mode. i am > i was is a much more realized foray into trap music, with enjoyable production, a variety of guests and the most important part, Savage pouring his heart out on these tracks. A very serious contender for one of my favorite records of the year.
j_cale23_
I had no intentions on listening to this album at first, but when I saw the tracklist and features I knew I had to check it out. And man this album is HARD. You got some storytelling, some trap, and all fire. Plus almost all the features are solid. Easily 21's best album yet.
mcgripsYUH
this album clicked with me on the third listen with 1.5 if i’m being honest. this album is mature, pretty, and definitely something i could listen to at any time. and can someone tell me why 21 legitmately delivers some beautiful lines on songs like a lot, ball w/o you, monster, letter 2 my momma??? i’m shocked at the quality of this record.
LOVE: A LOT, BREAK DA LAW, A&T, 1.5, CAN’T LEAVE WITHOUT IT, BALL W/O YOU, GOOD DAY, MONSTER, LETTER 2 MY MOMMA, 4L
LIKE: OUT FOR ... read more
EraX
Pleasantly surprised with this release. 21 Savage has grown so much as an artist and I'm so happy we didn't get the same old lackluster 21 on here. Not perfect, but a damn good album.

Favorite track: monster

letter 2 my momma

Least Favorite Tracks:
a&t
good day

Really like the "Dark, Gloomy" feeling he brings on to this album, telling us that he has matured and for the better. But overall this albums has really nice/catchy hooks and he does keep his trap roots in some of his songs.
Grizzwaldz
•21 completely pushes himself and shows an incredible amount of maturity on this project compared to his previous. Solid production, good features and overall just a good job from 21 makes this album a success. Savage has improved almost everything. He has more to talk about now. His flows are not as lifeless as they have been in the past and his singing is not completely terrible although he still can’t sing well. Only real problem is a lot of these songs are hit or miss which ... read more
jackmcguigan96
I was quick to dismiss this album upon first listen, but after seeing the excellent music video for 'a lot' with J. Cole I decided to give it another go. And I'm glad I did. 21 Savage is quick to get conscious with the aforementioned opening track, that includes another fantastic verse from J. Cole. That man has been killing it lately and I am excited to hear this plan continue to unfold. The reason 'a lot' is such a great opener is because it sets the tone for the album and proves the title ... read more
Fave tracks: a lot, out for the night, ball w/o you, good day, monster
Least fave tracks: a&t, gun smoke, all my friends
The title couldn't be more right.
A huge suprise, although without warnning also was a good album, I didn't think 21 would pull through on a solo album.
Also we finally got Donald Glover rapping again on a track.
Hopefully 21 Savage will continue to make music on this level.

7/10
Best Tracks: a lot, all my friends, asmr, monster, 4L
Worst tracks: a&t, pad lock
Benny
How much VISAs you got?

None
goncalocouto
✅ a lot | a&t | all my friends | good day | letter 2 my momma
Very great album from 21, well worth the wait. The stories told in 21’s flow about how he’s changed from fame and money are interesting and show the other side of fame that isn’t so glamerous. Beats are top notch. Amazing.
Best Tracks: a lot, gun smoke, 1.5, out for the night.
Twelvanoff
Seems like 21 Savage grew mature and still stayed the same and it feels good.
Unexpected and satisfying evolution. Consistent record.
petetheman
A lot of fun tracks here, but the album personally last way too long and have many disappointed tracks throughout. Overall it's much better than all of his eps though. A Lot is a banger.
EiDouVarg
21 Savage has incredible talent that he seems to not show completely. I know he can improve.
Knxckebeatz
Never in my life I woulda thought that I will order a 21 Savage disc.
Best tracks: monster, can't leave without it, ball w/o you, good day, a lot
21 Savage's newest release is a nice change of pace from the gritty, cut throat tendency that 21 Savage used almost entirely on his previous efforts. 21 adventures more on this new project with a varied instrumental palette that's much brighter and colorful. Unfortunately, without the deadly flows and lyrics that makes 21 appealing in the first place, i am > i was is a bit inconsistent and i can't say it is much better than some of his previous projects. At times, 21 gets sentimental and ... read more
FreddyBernard
i'm very glad to see 21 living to his potential since this may be one of his best bodies of work yet.
stevewonders
Sick and savage!
josecarloslopes
Favorite tracks : ALL MY FRIENDS.
Hughie
A very welcome surprise :)
evancool
Holy shit. He finally became mature enough. Now we can take your music more seriously.

BEST TRACKS: break da law, out for the night, gun smoke, 1.5, all my friends, asmr, ball w/o you, good day, letter 2 my momma, 4L
OTHER HIGHLIGHTS WORTH MENTIONING: a lot, can’t leave without it, pad lock
MEH: a&t, monster
UHHH: N/A
WORST TRACKS: N/A
bydanielaloss
At least the album has you stuck on the subject, but it's boring, I think you could have done better.
The title says it all.
this guy has definitely grew on me. most outstanding songs here are monster & alot
oscarepic
I laughed so hard when I realised the deluxe of this album had 1 extra track...
By far and away 21's best and most versatile project to date, and though it has some excellent highlights (a lot, letter 2 my momma, ball w/o you) its not perfect. 21 is really proving himself as one of the most worthwhile and stimulating artists riding the Soundcloud trap wave and I can't wait to hear what he brings to the table in 2019 or 2020...
GamerBryce
MY BOY 21 IM SO PROUD
therealkeifer
Honestly this a drop in quality compared to 21 Savage's previous work. He used to have this dark, coldblooded tone to his vocals and lyrics, but on this album it's just monotonous and uninspired. The subject matter is the same recycled content we've heard a ton of times before and the production is consistently average. There are some highlights and the features add some variety but neither can save this project from being a disappointment.

Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water