Waste of Space Orchestra - Syntheosis
notbuzzzila
Where am I? How did I get here? Syntheosis has brought me to a strange, alien planet of which I know nothing about. And I know that could be said about thousands of other generic space rock-inspired doom metal albums, but Syntheosis is special. It's pummeling, unrelentingly heavy, and envelops the listener in a psychedelic veil of noise that's difficult to separate from reality. This is more than just an album--it's a world of its own, completely separate from the Earth we know. The atmosphere ... read more
Waste of Space Orchestra was born from a collaboration between two Finnish bands: Oranssi Pazuzu and his psychedelic black metal associated with Dark Buddha Rising and his psychedelic drone. Originally, this collaboration was conceived for the sole purpose of performing at the famous Roadburn Festival. But the collective felt the need to share with the people this new project. Waste Of Space Orchestra materialized into an album, the symbiosis of two styles into a common vision, ... read more
ChukPizel
This might be the best metal album of the year to be honest.
luna128
Earth 3: Special Low Frequency Version
laz456
This album feels really massive and impressive for sure, but I cannot find tons of enjoyment out of it. Ultimately it's a lot of standard riffing with pretty stale production. There's just no compelling atmosphere built here even though that's clearly what they're going for. I wish this hit home for me but after numerous listens I'm ending up pretty lukewarm on it.
amygoodall
good
TheBravesDH
Waste of space on my recently played list on Spotify is more like it. The buildups were just too much and the payoff wasn't there for me.
SmooglyReviews
Shut my eyes for an hour while listening to this and did not come out the same
10lawrencej
An H.P Lovecraft story in audio form. Listening to this definitely summoned something up from the depths.
Dano
first ever doom metal album i've listened to and boy was it a treat
Murmaider96
Satanic goblins make grim Sludge and it's great.
Finnish supergroup collected mostly of members from Oranssi Pazuzu and Dark Buddha Rising. Waste of Space Orchestra album can be tagged as psychedelic, cosmic atmo sludge. Space synthesizers mixed with classical post-metal with doom sounding. It is very original and really worth noticing. On the other hand, it seems for me that this band can do much much better than here.

21stcenturyschi
Instrumentally, this album is a very outstanding mix of sludge metal, psychedelia, space, and other metal fusions. Sadly though, Syntheosis does get rather mundane, slightly redundant, and would be better in smaller proportions.

Favorite Tracks: "Void Monolith", "Infinite Gate Opening", "Wake Up the Possessor"

Least Favorite Tracks: "Syntheosis", "The Universal Eye"
chewwiy564
Syntheosis rips you out of reality and takes you for a wild ride.
GABRIELinHELL
Very good
DCCXX
I'm loving the black, doom and sludge metal elements of this album, but the structure of a lot of these tracks and their mildly explosive finishes, along with mediocre vocals, don't make Syntheosis stand out amongst other metal releases this year. Void Monolith is a perfect opening cut, and Wake Up the Possessor has some interesting progression, but the majority of these tracks only hint at greatness, without ever achieving it.

Favourite Tracks:

Void Monolith
Wake Up the Possessor ... read more
AntiPop
i feel like my mind is being opened every time i listen to this.
taevisk
I just couldn’t get sucked into the atmosphere that was attempted to be created. This is just okay to me. There are some amazing moments, but overall it is a pretty unsatisfying listen.

Best Songs: Void Monolith, Journey to the Center of Mass
Worst Song: Infinite Gate Opening
josecarloslopes
Favorite tracks : VOID MONOLITH, THE SHAMATIC VISION, WAKE UP THE POSSESSOR and VACUUM HEAD.
CheapandLethal
Worth a listen
Wow. I’m not a metal guy at all but this album is insane.
7.8 out of 10