Tallies - Tallies
Tallies
JohnLouisHoward
yep, this is right in my wheelhouse, jangly guitars, twee, shoegazey, female vocalist, Canadian, with all that maple goth sweetness. jackpot.
Strangelightsyd
Not bad by any means but like... Why listen to this when you can listen to Alvvays, Wild Nothing, Beach House, much better indie/dream pop
holsgr
☆☆ ~ Almost tolerable listen. Only few nice moments in this intricate and uncomfortable release.
Very lovable, reverb could chill on a few songs but yea hard to dislike this, pleasant™
Tallies are hardly reinventing the wheel, but their self-titled debut takes a couple of well-worn styles and executes them about as expertly and enjoyably as possible. Their reverb-heavy jangle pop calls to mind not so much The Smiths as the early 2010s bands who wanted to be The Smiths; Sarah Cogan’s nimble soprano calls to mind Molly Rankin. Like similar bands that borrow liberally from the past — think Tennis or Veronica Falls — Tallies succeed not by innovating, but by ... read more
CheapandLethal
Worth a listen
laz456
Better than most albums in this genre. Considering how slow January has been (in my opinion) I'll gladly take this.
Tsareena
A pleasant debut. The songs blend together nicely and the production is pretty consistent. There just isn't much to separate each track from the other outside a few.
Fave: Not So Proud
jordymusic
I really like the energy here, fluttery vocals and distinguished guitars all layered and mixed very well. I get a feeling of repetitiveness from the record as a whole but I think it could grow on me. Some really strong tracks on this debut that may not have recieved so much recognition had it released on a busier week.
daFigz
Bouncy and bright in its jingle gangly twee delight, it's a shame that the music took such a dramatic shift away from the brilliance of the opening track, Trouble. Sarah Cogan's vox is at times grating; essentially ill-paired for Echoplex treatment given its tendency towards shrill. Yet, it does hold some promise. Interestingly enough, the Line of Best Fit review terms her voice as angelic. Seriously? Maybe with repeat listens this record will rank better for me. However, my long teeth have me ... read more
SmooglyReviews
The second half of this is significantly worse than the first
mbertels
Any given track on this album - while not excellent - would be enjoyable to listen to on its own. All put together though, it basically sounds like the same song played eleven consecutive times, which makes for a pretty lackluster 45 minutes as a listener.
goncalocouto
"Tallies" is a little travel in time... Interesting.

✅ Trouble | Midnight | Have You | Trains and Snow | Eden | Easy Enough
Whispy production, interesting instrumentals, and entrancing vocals make this a very pleasant indie pop experience
A lot of pleasant songs on here, but the production/voices can sometimes blend together in a manner that is detrimental to the track/record as a whole (although not always "bad").

Favorite Songs:
Mother
Midnight
Not So Proud (favorite track)
EnableNoClip
This record makes me want to see this band live in a bar, go to the back of the venue, and have a really introspective conversation with a person I have a crush on over some cheap beer.

Tallies have a sound that is becoming increasingly more commonplace (I'd compare it to Alvvays and Hatchie with some Tennis flair), but none of the songs on this record were ever bad. In fact, they were all quite catchy with some good lyricism ("Have You", "Eden", "Trains and ... read more
Delpea
it's sweet and sounds OK but not really mine
PatrickL0419
It's no Alvvays, but it's pretty damn close.
NarrativeCoffee
It has some good moments but it's average. I mean, it's interesting but not as amazing as I expected it to be, is nice thinking of it as a debut, and it was more enjoyable that a lot of debuts I have listened to before, I liked it but think it could have been better done.
An aesthetic that reminds me of my lesbian Aunt's linen closet in the late 80's. Be careful not to drown in the reverb. You can always take hold and float on Sarah Cogan's illustriously positive lyrics. Youthful optimism can last through experience.

Best Tracks: Mother, Not So Proud & Beat the Heart.
DukeEman
A reincarnation of the band, The Sundays, and that's not a bad thing either as The Tallies still give it their unique voice. And it also kept me cool on a sweltering Aussie hot summer's day...
For me, there have been 100 albums like this before and will be 100 albums like it after. The Canadians continue in the long tradition of typically British indie rock by combing the janglely pop of the Smiths, the density and dreaminess of various shoegaze and psychedelia groups topped with a hint of radio friendly hooks. The album does this well, culminating in a safe yet catchy and enjoyable record.

Best Track: Easy Enough.
lukassantiago3
Tallies's debut LP is a case to discuss. The vocal is good, some interesting hooks and melodies but in general is just following the same indie-pop formula used these days. Sometimes, the production all mixed while it's being executed feels too much, so, the discussion is: how to see or try to see something new or original while you use something that feels too much with some popular formula used regularly? Maybe, this record won't answer it for now. But, it's not a totally failure, has time ... read more

Eminem - Music To Be Murdered By