Stella Donnelly - Beware of the Dogs
Beware of the Dogs
fakeplasticrose
If you're looking for funny, smart and somewhat relatable songwriting, look no further. If you're looking for interesting music, look elsewhere.
I repeat. I said I repeat. This is the YEAR for female artists. Nearly every female-led singer/songwriter project released this year has been stellar and this is no exception.

Donnelly crafts a fun debut record in which both humor and personal and intimate songwriting are the bedrocks of this record. Some tracks are more delicate whereas others have a more driving motion behind them. Both vibes work well and create a strong and diverse debut.

You just gotta love this.

Favorite track: Boys ... read more
JohnLouisHoward
like an Australian version of Sidney Gish (so I guess Sydney Gish, see what I did there), Stella Donnelly delivers wit, humor, clever lyrics, but also a cutting edge. it's a powerful combination that does enough to distinguish her for the nonce in a crowded field of enormous talent, but maybe we can stop saying "so many girls" and start saying "so much talent", gender aside for a change. "Boys Will Be Boys" is a stunner and I get the frisson thinking about a ... read more
tldr; this album is really nice, very well writen, and overall isn't a bad album. But...Look.

I'm glad that female artists are able to write and create honest music that they 100% believe in and want to make. In an era where everything is being over-read, over-analysed, over shared and over reviewed, with people being overtly nihilist and dismissive because of the new connection to information we currently have, it's very nice to see honesty, fearlessness and positive vibes in an age that ... read more
holowna
Donnelly's debut is a conspicuous collection of socially aware, humorous tracks penned without obliqueness. She offers a rare and immediate confidence in her emotional logic and candor, making this one of my favorite releases of the year thus far.

Rating: Great (76).
PatrickL0419
Sweet melodies and a great sense of humour contrast delicately around socially conscious ballads to create one of my favourite debuts in a long time.
Indie rock fatigue is real.

Stella Donnelly has a sharp tongue and a distinct accent; there were a few times where I let out a little chuckle from her witty musings. I think her I like her personality slightly more than her music. Her poignant stories are funny, but the instrumentation underwhelms me. 'Boys Will Be Boys' is a total standout, and probably the song I will take away from this album. I was hoping there was something that would really grab me about this album, but it is solid ... read more
KnifeTrick
Pure fuckin' Aussie music here, mate. This album really kept me on the ride as each track brought new thrills. Though the second half was starting to bore (though I was still attentive) and was really confused as to why electronics showed up in an indie album like this on the last two track.

Bistro sounds like an interlude if anything.

Favs: Mosquito, Season's Greetings, Allergies, Tricks, Boys Will be Boys (this track. holy shit), Lunch, U Owe Me (I found this one quite humorous)
MiaWatterson
I'm disappointed :/
Ugh I love this! I love the writing, melodies and production here! Stella has a great, crass sense of humor that mixes well with the more personal and delicate aspects of the songwriting. Also, "Boys Will Be Boys"... holy shit.

Fav Tracks: Boys Will Be Boys, Watching Telly, Mosquito, Old Man, Beware of the Dogs, Tricks, U Owe Me, Lunch

Least Fav Track: Bistro

Score:
8.8
Exceptional
ZeroString
this is so sweet to the ears, i love it!
This album feels so personal and sincere
Amazing

Honest to god... lyrics that never fail to catch me off guard and slap me right in the face, straightforward... but delivered so gentle. (Also the accent's kinda cute)

Best: Old Man, Mosquito, Season's Greetings, Tricks, Boys will be Boys, Lunch, Bistro, Die, U Owe Me, Watching Telly

Weakest: Allergies
AnalVape
I'm disappointed with every single one of you. This album receiving the "Must Hear" attention that it is just goes to show that music publications and critics alike don't know a single thing about music, and way too many of you normie losers are just eating it right up.

There are quite literally just about zero redeeming aspects of this album. The tone, songwriting, vocal inflection, and overall aesthetic of this album is not only so monotone and drab consistently throughout this ... read more
NarrativeCoffee
"Your personality traits don't count if you put your dick
In someone's face"

Lmao.
andreassheerio
This album is pretty damn amazing. The songwriting is really amazing on here. Every track there is a story behind. The production while pretty minimalistic, is still amazing. Every track has great guitars and some of them have drums as well and some bass. But most of the time it's just her and a guitar. So yeah it's amazing.

Best Tracks: Old Man, Mosquito, Boys Will Be Boys, Tricks, Lunch, Die, Beware of the Dogs

Worst Tracks: Season's Greetings
WildChameleon
Heard the NPR tiny desk session (which was brilliant), Stella was defenitly under my radar. Not only she has an impressive voice (she hits high notes with extreme accuracy), she is funny, she has clever lines about her deceptions (sentimental in tricks to professionnal in Tricks), warnings (beware of the dogs, old man) and some more personal songs (specially Boys will be boys according to some interviews. Pretty visceral track about sexual assault).

In my opinion, the track "Beware of ... read more
laz456
I'm raising this to a 7 but I can't go any higher. This is pretty standard stuff for indie rock, but it's definitely better than most albums that will come out in this genre this year I'm sure.
Stella Donnelly's debut album is certainly an impressive one. Her well-written, funny and clever lyrics alongside the delightful instrumentals throughout this album makes it impossible not to love. This is definitely a great record.
However, I can't say that this is an album that I care about all too much. Although I did enjoy it for a number of reasons listed above, I do have to admit that this really doesn't bring anything new to the table. I mean, it was an entertaining listen and I ended up ... read more
winitheju
This album is crawling with personality, and very strong after her promising EP
ZoilPlaylist
we get a new indie darling
Tsareena
Really lovely voice and great song writing makes this distinct from the typical singer-songwriter album. Stella sings on a variety on topics and nothing seems forced or out of place. There's a great honesty and clarity in how she uses her words.
Faves: Watching Telly, Boys Will Be Boys, Tricks
noahb_
In the reckoning of #MeToo, many songwriters have attempted to dig through the rubble to paint a picture of what this time in history feels like for the future generations, but none has done it as sharply as Stella Donnelly on Beware of the Dogs.

With a writing style that is both hard-hitting and poignant, paired with production that's never forced to compete with the lyrical content, but instead elevates it, the album shows the best of what a promising visionary has to offer.

With jarringly ... read more
EdFruscley
I don't want to make a negative review but it sounds just the same at every other albums of pop girls. I liked so much snail mail last year but this year the word is all the same and is a shame for me
guitarmad23
i love this album so much, its so playful yet serious and never leaves me feeling bored, ill give a better review later
This is the meanest songwriting ever but the subject deserves it. In love with the whole thing. Watching Telly was one of the best surprises of the year so far; I fell out of my chair when it started and then I was smiling for the rest of the track. So much of this reminded me of Teen Dream's aesthetic for some reason and none of the singles let that on. Totally in love with this one.
ChukPizel
Yeah I don’t get it
regent
as a naturally indie drawn music listener, i was really curious about this record (it has a "must hear album" tag too) and its a whole lot better than i thought.
and like most people, the one of the most prominent parts of this album are the humorous lyrics.
stella's sweet voice sings about a whole lot of stuff. just funny songwriting.
the instrumentals aren't necessarily extravagant, in fact rather simple but you know, i get around and i like beware of the dogs.
worth a shot? why ... read more
papadave
Poignant and sharp storytelling, accompanied with subtly powerful instruments and a stronger voice then we’ve heard from Donnelly before. Surely if she continues to grow, this already strong Indie artist could become one of the strongest of the decade.

Favorites:
Lunch
Bistro
Boys Will Be Boys
It's a fun little album, nothing spectacular but pretty good nonetheless. The album is a solid listen throughout, and honestly made me laugh a few times

Favourite tracks: Old Man, Seasons Greetings (has one of the best lyrics of all time), Allergies, Tricks, Lunch, Beware of the Dogs, Watching Telly
ryanreviews
The tracks where Stella is on the attack regarding feminism are great but the rest of this album is honestly pretty boring and derivative.
rosevean
Sweet Voice and Time of Alone

#1 Old Man / #2 Mosquito
#5 Tricks / #9 Die
Stella Donnely’s full-length debut is a sharply written, fierce piece of Indie Rock that absolutely demands to be heard. There are a few late album ballad that fall short, and Donnelly still has a few kinks to iron out in her sound, but this album still absolutely needs a listen through.

Give A Listen To: “Old Man”, “Mosquito”, “Tricks”, “Boys Will Be Boys”, “Lunch”, “Watching Telly”, “Face It”

Least ... read more
I like it cos she’s Australian
distraughtonaut
A pretty dope time that individualizes Donnelly much better than her previous EP. Beware of the Dogs is upbeat and fun while not straying away from the tough subjects. Many songs have some aspect that are worth remembering, but it also has quite a few that are a bit forgettable. Nevertheless, a very strong debut.
Absolutely stunning. Fantastic back to front, one of the best releases of the year for sure.
Insanely catchy yet thoughtul, these folk pop instrumentals are beautiful and Stella comes through with funny with emotionally raw lyrics about romance, vulnerability, and misygony.
VividAids
her voice sounds like a parody of young female indie singers

otherwise, this album is quaint and enjoyable.

can't say i agree with all of her takes on society, but i can respect how she does it
InUtero
Até o momento é o meu álbum favorito desse ano.

Faixa favorita: Season's Greetings
BuddhaBuddha
I was really wanting to like this because it seemed right up my alley but I just couldn't do it. The performances are damn good, some of the lyrics are pretty clever and Die is a nice song. However, the breathy, shrill vocals really didn't sit well with me. It made the album kind of hard to get through. Who knows, this might grow on me
luisdelrey2016
On her sophomore project, Donelly is able to manage her exceptional vocal skills to provide a magnificent piece of folk yet. There are incredible textures out to the very genre field that makes this record even more memorable than ever. As a novel promise, it is okay to explore her place and her distinctive sounds, and also her songwriting (which is flawless and straightforward). She is on growing up, Beware of Dogs contents gifts towards her maturement on the contextual women scene meanwhile ... read more
boring and also has questionable lyrics
A confident debut from a refreshing voice to watch out for.

Essential tracks: Old Man, Boys Will Be Boys, Face It
muribs
album's cover cought me and the songs did the same, her songwritting is something else and carries that feminine anger and genuineness which reminded me of hole - live through this and mitski too, the last three tracks lack the power the other ones have but not enough to ruin the project, hope to see what she does next time, valid and fetching album.

favs: old man, mosquito, tricks, boys will be boys, bistro
doctorchair
Boys Will Be Boys packs a fucking punch.
gabsurdo
Como compositora, é realmente incrível o que consegue fazer. Mas eu não consigo lembrar do início e do meio do álbum. Claro, há alguns momentos (começar com Old Man é brilhante), mas por mais que ela sempre consiga manter uma letra excelente com muitos momentos de ironia e força, as músicas não tem nada de grande - a voz é pequena, há diversas repetições, acordes simples - o que é uma ... read more
Birdal
I just thought to myself: Okay, let's do this.
First couple of songs: "I burned my tongue, because this pizza was soooooo hot. Then I broke the plate". Oh Yeah. Great.
wow this is good.
Season’s Greetings
Tricks
Beware of the Dogs
DukeEman
She has a bone or two to pick and does it with grace, wit and decent folky indie rock, plus lyrics so true that I hear ya and I get ya...

Dave - Psychodrama