Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost (Part 1)
Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost (Part 1)
thomasny18
NME: 100

Shocked if I'm wrong.

Edit: called it

Edit 2: just thought I should say thank you for all the likes this got. Honestly, I don't think I deserve to be put alongside all the other great reviewers with the popular review label given. I'm so thankful nonetheless.

Edit 3: finding it really weird how I have the same exact score as Pitchfork and Fantano, especially when the majority of critics and people in general like it way more than me.
MiaWatterson
I have to say, I wasn't waiting for this.
It's quite nice!
When I listened to Exits I thought "Nah, they're not gonna do it... That's going to be boring" Now I see I was wrong
Strangelightsyd
A simple but very fun listen.

Also maybe I'm insane but the switch up in Sunday really reminded me of the song at the end of Trainspotting. That's far from a complaint lol I love being reminded of my favorite movie.
It's a relatively fun, catchy album from start to finish, but apart from that, there's really not much else with this album that makes it much more interesting as it should be. Yet again, this is another example of critics overhyping albums before us normal people even get a chance to listen to it. It's still an enjoyable album and it is an easy listen, but was it really worth all the hype? I'd say no, and that's unfortunate.
smallpeeble
E for exits!
dlspslb
Well, I used to worship these guys like a year ago, but I wasn't hoping this would be good due to how many bands going mainstream have failed miserably trying to update their sound. Turns out I was wrong. Foals actually presented a good set of songs with great production, very well-textured. It starts and ends well, the singles are mostly good (On The Luna and Sunday are great but I don't really dig Exits that much) and, thankfully, almost all the other songs don't feel like filler (except for ... read more
so many 7s that I gotta give it 2

EDIT: no more likes: it's perfect
luna128
R.I.P Wii Shop Channel
76fex
anustard
The first half of "Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost" is a fun, well-written and gorgeously-produced record that recaptures Foals' classic sound while also making it sound even better than before! While I'm curious to see how the second part will pan out, and I don't know specifically why it's split in two yet, I have extremely positive feelings toward this first part overall!

Fav Tracks: Sunday, Syrups, Exits, White Onions, On The Luna, I'm Done With The World (& It's Done With ... read more
playlistwizard
It had pretty colourful production and didn't take itself all too seriously.

It was a good listen I guess.
MinatoArisato
A fun pop-rock record. Nothing all too special here but not bad either, pretty much as good time.

Best Track: Moonlight
Worst Track: On The Luna
A consistently strong album front to back, with some really strong grooves and hooks. For a group that has been releasing good music for now over a decade, they clearly have a strong concept of where they want their sound to go and by no means sound unrefined at this point. In fact, this album is even more consistent than their 2015 success in What Went Down. With that in mind, it's hard not to expect the follow-up album in the Fall to be anything short of solid.

Favorite track: White Onions
notbuzzzila
I LOVE THIS LOL

This is easily my favorite Foals album since Total Life Forever. Well-produced, STUPIDLY catchy indie rock that maintains its creative integrity despite its poppy sound.
PatrickL0419
It's a very consistent listen, but nothing really blew me away. Might have to revisit this.
EdFruscley
I woke up in March 8 and listen this. We have a classic sound of foals, with a depper production, bass and sytnh are set very well and is thankful for me listen a guitar in this way in 2019. I really expected something less interesting, I can see the band growing, from 2015 to 2019. Foals is a band that could bring me a concept very plane of "self-help" but they have something, they twisted the concept and make it worth. The reference of this concept is "Mountain at my ... read more
I think noone expected such a good album by Foals. A mature work, but mature not in the sense of when you talk about albums of well-known bands that released a boring album. Everything Not Saved is mature in the way that it takes the best elements of bands' early albums - with post-/dance-punk vibe on the lead - and transforms them into a calm indie art rock with new wave influences. It is really good and I wait impatiently for the 2nd part.

Honestly, I don't see the point here
amygoodall
ergghgh
KnifeTrick
Production wise on instrumentals, it's quite a phenomenal performance. Each track having something unique to bring (except for Sunday, it sounded generic).

And that's about it.

Lyrically, I pulled only like two lines that I barely remember.

Favs: In Degrees, Syrups, On the Luna, Cafe D'Athens
jangoj
that last song sounds like "Here Comes a Regular" from The Replacements and it's good af
this album is great
Vanners
Yannis & Co. are back (minus Walter) and they are arguably better than ever before. I have to say whilst I enjoyed the singles to Part 1, I was still left hungry for that upbeat fast-paced vibe and it's safe to say that they have fulfilled that. I feared that without Walter the band would falter and wouldn't show what made me fall in love with them all those years ago. Nonetheless, since returning to the studio with this effort Foals have left me excited and hungry to see what the ... read more
LilGatorade
The critics hyped up the 1975 album the same way. Don't anticipate this too much
ACreativeName
i really like this but i just noticed that it occasionally sounds kind of like imagine dragons and now i cant unhear it
Fantastic, can’t wait for part 2
Foals is an English hipster band with basic indie pop songs that I'm not really fond of. Songs such as "My Number" or "Mountain At My Gates" (which are real hits) are not part of my favorite songs. This is an English band that has managed to make a place among the big American indie rock bands such as Imagine Dragon or Cage The Elephant. The album is called "Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost, Part 1" and is their first part of their double album. Foals' problem is ... read more
This is so average; its not even funny. I gained literally nothing from this album.
Classic Foals. 'I'm Done With The World (& It's Done With Me)' has well and truly done me in.
middleagedmale
coldplay? as mentioned in a german review - does sound very (!) mainstream now.
noonoo97
Foals are one of the most forgettable bands ever. Bland songs on top of forgettable melodies on top of boring music. Overrated by kids and indie freaks. Gonna listen to the album in an hour give me a sec.

meh.
rydenoir
This firework of a record is essentially a guide for rock bands how to make songs for a live setting. Pretty straight to the point, incredibly catchy, easy to listen to and groovy beyond belief: Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost (Part 1) is a banger and also a special moment in Foals' discography.

~
This record caught me by surprise more than any record I've heard this year so far. I was not ready for...it! This is a groove heavy, energetic and fun album, with a HUGE replay value. It is also ... read more
twwalter
This album is littered with unexpected twists and turns in song direction along with several playful dance-punk layered tracks.

Favorite tracks: Exits, White Onions, In Degrees, On The Luna, Sunday
WildChameleon
New foals album has couple of excellent tracks, but overall it doesn't really standout. It's not that it's mediocre or bad, it's enjoyable but nothing more.
LeoSylph
Psychedelic art melt into rock, sweet and melancholic but still happy and energetic.

"All I wanna do is get up and leave...
"Time away from me is what I need to clear my sight and clear my head...
"We had it all, but we didn't stop to think about it...
"When the end comes my way... Will i drop to my knees and pray?

I just can add: I hope Part 2 has more and surpass this but if not I'm loving Part 1 and that's enough.
It's decent. Time to move on with my life.
NarrativeCoffee
Quite repetitive and monotonous, songs other than those released lack of variety and passion, and also feel very dry.

It's hella forgettable and annoying at some point, in songs like "In Degrees" I was just expecting them to end the song at 3 min. And so it goes.
And also, at least 3 songs or even more, had the same bright moment which the song turns out more agressive and intense, such as Syrups, Sunday and Exits making them bland and overused after listening as a whole ... read more
turtle_muffin_
I honestly expected more, but I'll take it for what it is. It's fun, a new direction for Foals, and has some great songs.
Best: In Degrees, Sunday, I'm Done With The World
Pretty good but the second part is going to have to be unreal to justify putting out two albums instead of one
PaulyZ

Syrups (7.0)
On The Luna (8.0)
Cafe D'Athens (7.5)
Surf Pt.1 / Sunday (7.5)
I'm Done With The World (& It’s Done With Me) (7.7)
Rob_StA
▲ = Exits, White Onions, In Degrees, Syrups, On The Luna, Surf Pt. 1, Sunday
▬ = Moonlight, Cafe D'Athens, I'm Done With This World
▼ =
SammyV
This album is exactly what I think about a good made and entertaining, but not perfect LP. The guys from Foals did a well work with this. I like the instrumentals on almost every track, and the vocalist voice is also pretty enjoyable. But that's not enough, there are some bad songs on this, and no one can hide it.
Solid
TheGoffOff
I liked this album a lot more when I was listening to it while doing homework than while I was driving and paying more attention.

That's probably not a good sign. But it does raise my score a bit. Was initially a 5/10.
Kinnetic
The latest record from Foals is sure an improvment over the past couple records the band had to offer. However, it's not quite that redeeming.
bjomeni
Mainstream pop music pretending to be deep and interesting. . .
better than their earlier stuff, though
bastosjose
Fav Tracks: White Onions, Sunday
thishitch
What imagine dragons hope they sound like. not exactly a good thing
distraughtonaut
Foals basically tried to recreate Mountain at My Gates multiple times and threw it on one LP. The results lead to some fun tracks on their own, but a relatively boring album as a whole. Tracks like On The Luna and White Onions are likely to outlive the memory of this LP. One can only hope that Part 2 will show another side of Foals, rather than continue droning on in this fashion.

Fav Tracks: On The Luna, White Onions, In Degrees
It's definitely a comeback to form from Foals. Great tracks everywhere with good energy. I fulfilled my expectations coming to this and got surprised by some awesome cuts.

Dave - Psychodrama