The Drums - Brutalism
Brutalism
Brutalism v. Brutalism

Idles > The Drums
Oh right! I've always wanted to review this album, especially since I loved their most recent record! I don't know why it says it came out today but I'll let it pass. So, "Brutalism" is the debut LP from British punk band IDLES and it's weirdly not very socio-political and Joe's voice is way different. The writing isn't as witty but... wait... this isn't IDLES? Oh... shit.

Fav Tracks: 626 Bedford Avenue, Loner, Body Chemistry, I Wanna Go Back, Nervous

Least Fav Track: Kiss It ... read more
Brutalism has some great moments but the rest is badly mixed or confusingly written

Best Tracks: Body Chemistry,626 Bedford Avenue,Loner,I Wanna Go Back
Worst Track: Brutalism
Their most poppy and cohesive work to date.
PatrickL0419
Although Brutalism sees The Drums at their most poppy and lovey-dovey, they seem to be more confident than ever to embrace clichés in a manner that makes their music fun and exciting once again.
WildChameleon
Yikes !

Just a messy poppy album. Didn't grab my attention at first listening. The other was "blah".

Everything that could be indie pop sounds so wrong : the over-synth, the generic combo "clean battery/guitar" in nearly every tracks, the uninspired lyrics.
Ok ... and not only that, there is any energy with the singing and the playing !

Don't worry, there are some cool things here and there, they are just rare.
ChaseSab
idk what everyone's talking about with these reviews, I had a swell time
Jonathan00
Con la dispersión y salida de los integrantes, se ha perdido esencia y calidad del grupo, aunque este trabajo es más original que los anteriores, Jonny sigue dando la cara a la hora de representar a The Drums.
ZoilPlaylist
not memorable.
bisensual
the guy is cute
goncalocouto
With "Brutalism", The Drums head in a much more friendly, poppier direction. A lot of the sound is heavily compromised by Pierce's uninteresting and cheesy songwriting. I had higher hopes for this album since I did really enjoy the singles. I'm heavily disappointed.

✅ Pretty Cloud | Body Chemistry | 626 Bedford Avenue | I Wanna Go Back
SmooglyReviews
Brutalism - Really? This?
With The Drums lastest LP, Brutalism, they head in a much more friendly, poppier direction. A lot of the sound on this is heavily compromised by Pierce's uninteresting and cheesy songwriting, and the way too safe production. There really isn't much going for Brutalism, a title which is extremely misleading to the sound heard here. His vocal performance was good on songs like Body Chemistry & 626 Bedford Avenue, but on every other track it sounded like the same ... read more
DukeEman
Fun loving electro indie pop that just doesn't hit the highs, but enough here to enjoy oneself...
TheBravesDH
Always been a fan of Pierce's sensual voice and their throwback instrumentation, but hadn't really been able to put it all together in a totally engaging experience. They still haven't, but this is their poppiest and best batch of songs since the debut. Second half fizzles out a bit.
diegosoteldo
Let's be honest. This is 'The Jonny Pierce Project', and he is more interested in the classic and catchy indie, moving away from that post punk that captivated us.

It's not bad, but it's far from what we expect from The Drums. Considering that, 'Abysmal Thoughts' > 'Brutalism'

Best track: "Body Chemistry"
puzzlemoon
O 'Brutalism' começa de uma forma chatíssima e bem desmotivante, com músicas totalmente desconexas com a identidade sonora do The Drums. Enfim, lá pra quarta faixa ele volta ao seu ritmo e nos entrega músicas até animadinhas (além de Loner que é muito boa), mas...é isso. Músicas escoradas na repetição de refrões, e como o próprio nome do álbum diz, são canções brutas que ... read more
gas_souza
I Wanna Go Back - 65
Kiss It Away - 55
Nervous - 70
Blip of Joy - 60
I want to enjoy this so very badly but somewhere along the way it all comes across as ingenuine
fabsricio
Não é um álbum grandioso, mas também não é um álbum ruim. Tem uma sonoridade predominante diferente que lembra produções do Pharrell. Fora a ótima qualidade e boa conversação entre as faixas.
levimiller