Catfish & The Bottlemen - The Balance
bajafrecuencia
Bold move of Catfish to release the same album three times.

Decent 5
I got two songs into the album radio before I realized it was actually over
Catfish & The Bottlemen manage to release a solid yet painfully uninteresting album that lacks creativity and energy. It could be a lot worse tho...
Catfish & The Bottlemen's Third Album is the same album as the other Two Albums

Best Tracks: Longshot,Conversation,Encore,Basically,Mission,Coincide
Worst Track: Intermission
jordymusic
This is the first Catfish and the Bottlemen album in which nostalgia wont play a huge part in my rating. I live in a Scottish border town with a population who are pretty wild for this band and I was too on release of that first album. I still find this alright. I wouldn't call it completely meat and potatoes indie rock. There's still some raw passioned vocal work from Van and a satisfying level of hearty Britishness in the substance of the music. The instrumental work overall is a little more ... read more
liammenzies
An excruciatingly bland album that doesn't even have the defence of the band's first album of being "kinda catchy". This CATB trilogy seems to make its sole focus to create the same uncomfortableness of sitting in a room with some bucket hat wearing bullies who think they are "saving guitar music".
chutbarn
Mediocrity beyond comprehension. Catfish further cement their status as an indie band for people who like their indie music void of creativity and thought.
JoshRunkPocker
Absolutely no development from their first two records
SebastianWolf
Catfish & The Bottlemen undoubtedly know their way around a catchy single, and I’ve always been a fan of Van McCann’s vocals. With that said, they’ve never been lyrically profound, and the so-called ‘saviors of indie rock n roll’ sadly doesn’t develop much on their third album. While The Balance has more positives than negatives, it’s mostly mediocre.

Best lyric: “The disciplines left me. Left me with you”

Best songs: Fluctuate // ... read more
rxnd
don't care what anyone says. catchy songs throughout the album. I've had almost every song on repeat.

Now to be serious, this is the first Catfish album I have listened to all the way through. I have no doubt that this album sounds just like their other 2 albums, but I can't complain too much. I do hope to see some new ideas in their next album, but they excel at making incredibly catchy songs and if they never change their style I won't be too mad.

don't @ me

Favorite songs: 2all, ... read more
distraughtonaut
Make two pretty good, identical albums - it's an era.
Make a third, identical album of much lower quality - it shows you are a one trick pony.
I'm usually one of the few people on here defending Catfish for being pretty enjoyable, and I still think they are if you just want to throw something on, but The Balance is just their past two albums with nothing behind it. No emotion, no meaning, no originality. And also just a weird cover... like what was the conversation between them and the artist ... read more
Decent pop rock effort with a few catchy tunes thrown in. I dig it.
HoodieBraden
The Balance is Catfish & The Bottlemen's third album in five years, so at least they are efficient. However, the problem with this is that each release sounds exactly the same. They remind me a lot of The 1975. They practically released the same album twice as well. But at least now, in 2019, The 1975 is finally heading in a new direction. At least that's we they want us to think with the release of their single, "People." The same cannot be said about Catfish and his old ... read more
TipoOpositivo
This is the third time I listen to the same Catfish & the Bottlemen album and I haven't even repeated one. Btw there's a decent stuff here, nothing really special...
*snores*
thegeecyproject
Pretty standard indie rock. "Longshot" was a pretty good single, but I never really cared for Catfish because it always seemed that their songs don’t do much to differentiate from each other. This album doesn't do much to change my mind. There's also songs on here like "Mission" and "Overlap" that change tempo mid-song and don't really seem to know what they're doing.

Highlights: Longshot, Fluctuate, Conversation
Catfish and The Bottlemen's first album for me was a hit of nostalgia. I knew it was kinda crap, but I couldn't help but bop my head alone. Unfortunately, two albums later, nothing has changed. Can't say I cared for this album.

Best Track: Longshot
BlurryCaracal
Some might call it consistent, but I call it repetitive. The same structures, the black and white aesthetic, the quite boring instrumentation, and the common lyrical content make this album a "The Ride 2.0".
There are some standout moments, but I don't see myself coming back to it often. Disappointed, but definitely not surprised.
notbuzzzila
MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

Even as a Catfish & The Bottlemen fan, I can admit that a lot of their work is super watered-down and mellow. If you're the type of person to discard AM because it was too dreary, this band is probably your worst nightmare. That being said, I still enjoyed the two albums that preceded The Balance, The Ride and The Balcony. They were fun, catchy pop rock albums that I enjoyed quite a bit. The Balance, though...yeah, it's like every criticism I was ignoring about Catfish ... read more
SarHeatCeadrest
Solid enough album but it’s not very interesting and feels exactly like this bands first 2 albums
twwalter
All-in-all this is their best album they've released, which may not really be saying much, but credit's due where credit's due.

Track-by-track ratings:

10. Coincide (3.9/10)
11. Overlap (5.1/10)

Average: 5.5/10
lowendtheorist
It would be really easy to give this album a low score as it's the same sound and formula as their previous 2 efforts. Actually though, the album falters where they attempt to change it up a bit (like on Sidetrack). They're good at making indie pop records and have stuck to what they know on this one. With that being said, the high points on this record aren't as high those of The Ride and The Balcony. The lack of any exciting new sounds or ideas is also rather deflating.

Overall it's ... read more
radiofzz
'Longshot' led me to believe I would be hearing some long overdue new material from Catfish & the Bottlemen but as the album continued it fell into the usual trap door leading to the Indie Rock landfill. They've found a formula that works for catchy hits but much is left desired for them to stop churning out the same song again and again and try something different. 'Coincide' best describes this album.

61/100, will listen to the first song again, and the whole album in doing so.

Fav ... read more
natdiss
Not horribly bad, but not terribly good either.
Favorites: Fluctuate, Basically, Intermission
Least Favorites: 2all, Conversation
JayCrackers
After the 3rd Album by CATB bringing the same thing. It results in this album being boring. Also, with all the singles being at the start result in a decent start and a dull middle and end. A Strong 5
Pretty bland alt rock, not really anything special or memorable outside of the song Longshot. It really could be worse but definitely should be a lot better.
In my opinion, this album is best of the British indie rock albums in year 2019.

Rock n roll band!!!!
RKanharn
Catfish release another album full of Indie tunes, which you know are going to sound great both on the album and performed live.

I am bias due to being a huge Catfish fan.

Best Songs: Conversation, Overlap.
itsclairespears
Coincide 6.8/10
Overlap 6/10
Album rating: 76/100
Guilhermecritic
Um indie rock bem genérico mas gostei, é gostoso de ouvir.
whyisaac
Catfish and the Bottlemen have done it again! Literally.

I like their sound but this is just exactly the same as their first two records. No experimentation, no risks taken at all. Decent but nothing special.
regent
nice to see you're back
I have always thought of Cathfish and the Bottlemen as a band that knows how to make noise and can write a vert catchy hook. The type of hook that makes you want to jump around and scream the lyrics. However, their newest album, The Balance seems to have less of the vibe that their last two albums have had. This album seems more toned down and a bit more serious. Besides two songs, Longshot and 2all, every other song did not hit me the way songs form their other two albums have. Ryan McCann ... read more
heartgears
An enjoyable listen, but one can't deny that this is their second album in a row that was the exact same as their debut "The Balcony." Not sure if they have any tricks up left their sleeves.
The album became boring and repetitive. Generic and almost identical to their last two albums.
Viberantweb
On The Balcony, Catfish and the Bottlemen announce themselves as a big emerging British band with a collection of simplistic but catchy anthems designed for singalong moments at live shows. For a debut album this is a solid effort and I’m excited to see what they’ve got nex…….. wait, this isn’t The Balcony?
thatswade
eeer ... decepção.
th_initiator
▲ = Longshot, Fluctuate,
▬ = 2all, Conversation. Encore, Basically, Intermission, Overlap
▼ = Sidetrack, Mission, Coincide,
saydemesne
With the exception of 'Coincide', the entire album falls flat.
DalekTurret32

3. 2all
2. Conversation
1. Longshot
afonsojorger
This album seems so repetitive that it saddens me to see such a great band "redo" the same album again, without any innovation over the one before it.
puzzlemoon
Um dos álbuns de indie rock mais genéricos e repetitivos que eu já ouvi na vida, credo
actuallyeman
Catfish and the Bottlemen releasing the third album which you probably couldn't differentiate from their other 2 albums even if you tried. Solid effort, but repetitive as hell.
Basically, it was always going to be a Longshot that Catfish would change it up on this album. This album really is a Mission to sit through and listen to as they don’t Fluctuate away from their formula which is a shame 2all of us.

1. Longshot - 8.0
9. Mission - 2.5
10. Coincide - 4.0
11. Overlap - 7.0

48.5/110 - 44/100
I love it. I know I know, it’s very similar to their previous two albums and it’s ever so formulaic, but I love it! Every song has a story, Vann tells it, and puts it behind one of the most anthemic albums in a time where a lot of indie rock bands are going through a phase of experimentation! It keeps a sense of what I fell in love with altrock for, in the music scene, and for that, I give it many plaudits! Why change a broken formula?
Vanners
On album three Catfish & The Bottlemen hardly deviate from the sound they already have, infact it seems like they've moved further into the realms of mainstream indie rock. Unfortunately there just isn't enough here to make nearly enough of the songs stick or memorable and as a result, it's likely to fade into obscurity and be overshadowed by their earlier, popular tracks. Longshot is the best track here, and that's about all that can be taken from it.

Tame Impala - The Slow Rush