Jamila Woods - LEGACY! LEGACY!
LEGACY! LEGACY!
She sounds like a sophisticated Tierra Whack
This is a step up from her last album.
Tsareena
Amazing sophomore album from Jamila. Her writing is such a force on this album. Paying homage to many greats without it feeling stuffy or preachy at all. Reading on how each inspired their respective track was so interesting and the tracks hold so well on their own. Great production, great guest verses especially Saba's verse on Basquiat and just great energy in general
Faves: Betty (both versions), Basquiat, Baldwin (love the message in this)
“I like you better when you see me less/ I like me better when I’m not so stressed.”

The Chicago RnB singer comes out with a sophomore release that is a clear celebration of the past, present and future by way of paying homage to artists and thinkers that shaped our society. With multitudes of lesser known artists and collaborators, it shines and never feels a dull moment throughout.
I want to spend more time with this record, but I am in love. If you have been a fan of Jamilla Wood's previous work (M&O, 'Sunday Candy,' HEAVN), you will not be surprised by the quality of music she has produced. All of my favorite elements of Woods work are amplified and honed. She continues to explore themes of history and origin through simple melodies paired with complex issues. The highlight of the record is the production, which reminds me of Noname's transition from Telefone to ... read more
"LEGACY! LEGACY!" is a completely consistent album and shows Jamila Woods' versatility with great lyrics, outstanding hooks and production that is SO GOOOOOD!!!

Fav Tracks: GIOVANNI, BASQUAIT, EARTHA, SONIA, BETTY (both), MILES, ZORA, FRIDA, MUDDY

Least Fav Track: SUN RA

Score:
9.3
Outstanding
MariellyAkarius
I really hope people don’t sleep on this one. The lyrical content, the hooks, her vocals... this is really great
MinatoArisato
Absolutely gorgeous, Woods strings together an album that has some of the most soothing vocals I've heard recently and jaw-dropping production.

Best Track: BALDWIN
Worst Track: BASQUIAT
The compression and mixing on this pisses me off

Best Tracks: ZORA,EARTHA,MUDDY
Worst Track: BASQUIAT
TheRootBoy
So glad I did not miss this album. Jamila Woods releases what may be the most new sounding R&B I've ever heard. I'll be revisiting Woods' art in LEGACY! LEGACY! for the rest of the year and that'll be a fact in the making. LEGACY! LEGACY! is a lighthouse for those searching for a home full of culture, community, and passion: warmth.
bydanielaloss
"LEGACY! LEGACY! "It is a loving testimony for black artists, from the titles of each song that they name a historical figure like Jean-Michel Basquiat or the novelist Octavia E Butler. The album is composed of rhythms that shake the powders, voices with layers and fresh melodies, but as always their words have the greatest weight, which makes them almost impeccable.
caitofgoodhope
production! lyrics! i am falling in love.
Dynade
Big fan of the fusion of dance, RnB, and hip hop on this, makes for a fun listen that combines some of my favorite genres. Woods is a decent singer and songwriter, and her vocal embellishments ooze confidence and comfort.

Favorites: BETTY, GIOVANNI, SONIA, FRIDA, MILES, MUDDY, BASQUIAT, BALDWIN, BETTY (for Boogie)

Worst: OCTAVIA
red_gregory
The bar is set quite high for females in this rnb arena thus far, and that’s all thanks to Solange, Ari Lennox, Lafawnda, Mereba, Kehlani and more. LEGACY! LEGACY! sits comfortably in the middle of its competitors. Jamila has a powerful presence and can convey strong lush emotions with ease. And the lyrical quality is almost always great, but the busy production and lack of tonal consistency veer into unstableness from time to time. There’s nothing egregiously wrong here. I foresee ... read more
luisdelrey2016
Record's title defines itself, this a true LEGACY for an artistic statement, a big resolution of quality design and creativity. Wood's displays a lot of commitment towards her best to date. It feels she is happy with LEGACY! LEGACY!, because it steams a lot of glorious, passion and love on her lyrical content, on her vocal lines, and the most important, on the music.

FAVS: BETTY, ZORA, FRIDA, MILES, BASQUIAT, SUN RA, BALDWIN
LEAST FAV: OCTAVIA
76fex
taste like sour breast milk
jordymusic
Some decent R&B/soul here with some really interesting production on some tracks. MUDDY is probably the standout. Jamila really struggles to keep it fresh towards the end. Could see this getting lost in the R&B void for me as it's nothing special but the high points are damn high.
thejacktackshac
With a tracklist named after various significant influences and artistic architects of culture such as Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Muddy Waters and others, along with straightforward and percussive production, outstanding vocal deliveries from Jamila, and exceptional guest performances, Legacy! Legacy! is a celebration of freedom and artistic endeavors that is poised to be one of the years most memorable and electrifying releases.
Genius writing, stunning production, her voice invades my soul, one of the best r&b albums of the decade & one of the best this year so far...
MusicN
BASQUIAT is a TPAB knockoff in the best possible way.
The rest of the album is OK as well.
lukassantiago3
"LEGACY! LEGACY!" is epic, powerful and brutal. An important record coming from an artist which is bringing from the past what she can give to the future. It's brilliant.
WildChameleon
OCTAVIA - 80
BALDWIN (feat. Nico Segal) - 75
BETTY (for Boogie) - 75
marcopive
Chill vibes, class intrumentals. By the book, yea, but super tight.
The hooks are really uninspired most of the time, tho. The whole thing just really loses momentum after GIOVANNI. Got some bops in it, tho.
spinozamigo
Gonna spend more time with this one, but I think this is a really impressive turnout for Jamila. I was a little worried when I first began this record because I didn’t like BETTY all that much (and it inexplicably shows up on this record twice). But, lyrically, BALDWIN, ZORA, and BASQUAIT really won me over.

I think both BETTY tracks could have been scrapped, and this would have been a tighter, more convincing record for me. ZORA and MUDDY are bangers!
KanyaeWeast
Rating is first listen
braztom
THIS IS A REALLY GOOD ALBUM BUT LOSES ONE POINT FOR FOLLOWING THE HORRIBLE ALL-CAPS TREND
I enjoy it!
Rasheedgames
This album sounds fantastic. From Jamila Woods' strong vocals to her excellent songwriting, to the high quality of the production, this project is definitely something worth listening to. My only complaint is that the project falters a little bit in one section of it but then it picks the strength back up for a strong finish

Fav Tracks: BETTY, GIOVANNI, SONIA, FRIDA, EARTHA, BASQUIAT, SUN RA, BALDWIN, BETTY (FOR BOOGIE)
Least Fav Track: MILES
doctorchair
What an unexpectedly great release this year

Favs: GIOVANNI, ZORA, BASQUIAT
PeterJoe
Such a beatitiful and well produced album jamila's insanly good on this album 💜
Pretty good
DukeEman
An interesting avantguard R&B concept album that has you listening closely to the wondrous lyrics...
loved loved loved
One of the albums of the year. For sure !
FeelsRijoMan
First time I've noticed the name Jamila Woods in my life and I wanted to check out the project because of that Saba feature. I don't need to say I wasn't disappointed at all. The production in this is amazing and her voice is super smooth. The features here fit really well.
Fav Tracks: SONIA, BASQUIAT, BETTY (for Boogie)
surpreendente
this is an exponential growth from her last release
chalkhampton
A spectacular follow-up from Woods. I loved HEAVN so much, and all of the singles leading off this record had me extremely excited. She certainly did not fail to live up to the hype. This album feels less poppy and tighter overall- a career defining work to say the least.
sevenlives
Bem produzido com ótimos vocais e composições.
BETTY 80
OCTAVIA 84
BALDWIN (feat. Nico Segal) 84
BETTY (for Boogie) 86
bastosjose
Fav Tracks: SONIA, BASQUIAT (for the SABA feature)
luisfeacevedo
Still listening to it, but... the production, her personality and the lyrics are great. Nothing seems generic in here, let's just see how it feels throughout the week :)

Injury Reserve - Injury Reserve