Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
U.F.O.F.
Almost unrecognisable as the same band as on the previous two albums - this is a step up to the major leagues if ever I heard one.

Like an orgasmic mix of the very best of Elliott Smith, Low and Cat Power - the song writing has improved in both its consistency and melodic power.

Boom, and just like that there's suddenly another contender for album of the year.
Absolutely beautiful, Adrianne Lenker and the crew reach new heights in their songwriting skill on the wonderful UFOF. I wasn't sure how the band could push their sound forward, but Big Thief tends to prove me wrong on a regular basis. The music is ethereal and somehow more brittle, the guitars quivering with a sense of chaotic excitement. If Capacity cut open a scar to excavate its origins, UFOF looks to the heavens for perspective and guidance. The themes of connection and intimacy are still ... read more
Capacity >>>
And now, I have become completely and devastatingly sad

I am going to be open with you guys and say that I have a very mixed opinion on it because while it didnt really blow me away sonically it still had a profound impact on me for some reason.

Lets start with the most obvious reason in that “Terminal Paradise” is perhaps the most powerful song of the year so far. I cried so hard. The message was so somber and beautiful and any time an artist is able to profoundly express their ... read more
dearsongs
Their first two albums didn't grab my attention like this new one, nor did Adrianne Lenker's solo album from last year (although they all now require more of my time). Glad I didn't wear out the singles so I can listen to this in the album context.

The first half is perfect... 6 supremely pretty songs. I was afraid the back half couldn’t come close to matching up, thankfully I was wrong. The reworked version of “Terminal Paradise“ is gorgeous. No song overstays it’s ... read more
this is nice

Lovely is the name of the game on U.F.O.F. I am by no means familiar with Big Thief despite having seen them around and hearing songs from their last album on the radio, but I was looking forward to this one. I'm happy to say that U.F.O.F. is an enjoyable and touching album. Adrianne Lenker has a striking voice and a sharp pen, but what I found myself really latching on to were the subdued but beautiful instrumentation all over the U.F.O.F. There are several moments all over the ... read more
"Still as the moment we’re lying in / Right now".

Following 2016’s debut Masterpiece and 2017’s superb sequel Capacity, comes another unfiltered, piercing collection of tracks with moments of unpredictability and emotional resonance. Adrianne Lenker stands out once again as the beating heart and soul of this record.
fakeplasticrose
Honestly not understanding the hype... Sure it's a fairly pretty and pleasing dreamy indie folk album that doesn't try to be anything more, but it lacks much substance or backbone.
LepardRyan
can we put an embargo on this indie folk/singersongwriter/americana genre? Swear one of these cookie-cutter acoustic albums comes out weekly anymore, I'm so tired of it.
JohnLouisHoward
You have to keep moving and growing to stay alive to the creative process and Big Thief has done all that and more on their third album. The Lenker/Meek songwriting team is one of the best in indie rock/indie folk and they are in full flower here. There is more continuity with Masterpiece and Capacity than some critics are claiming, but the main difference here is the way this band has become one organism, meshing together perfectly and seamlessly.

The recording process builds on the strength ... read more
OpiesFuneral
everybody gangsta until that scream comes in on Contact
WildChameleon
U F O F is the pinacle of their actual style. More memorable than Masterpiece, more balanced than Capacity, all the songs feel at the right moment and at the right place. The songwriting is at his best too (gosh terminal paradise). What can I say more ? They have done so much these last years.
PatrickL0419
I want the wind to consume me.
U.F.O.F. is very very sad

Best Tracks: Contact,UFOF,Cattails,Open Desert,Orange,Century,Terminal Paradise
Worst Track: Betsy
MySoftBulletin
what has happened to me
BonoLightier
My depression has been crazy these last couple of weeks, so this album just came at the best time
thomasny18
Not sure how I entered this 1872 forest, but it's the only place I want to be.
Tsareena
Gorgeous and sparse folk album from Big Thief with a lot of interesting sounds and production that makes the album so exciting to listen to.
Faves: UFOF, Jenni, Cattails
Following their sensational debut in the game in 2017 with their debut album "Masterpiece", Big Thief has established itself as one of the most important bands on the American indie rock scene. Since then, their rise is unstoppable with their sublime second album named "Capacity" the following year. This year, the quartet returns in good shape and we plunge again into the inspiring and overwhelming Adrianne Lenker's songwriting. This "Unidentified Flying Object ... read more
laz456
Pitchfork caught me off guard this morning so I'm finally checking this out. I really disliked their last album so I wasn't super eager to jump into this new one. But I am pretty mesmerized right now. I don't wanna hype rate this thing like a 9 without thinking about it a little more but I'm hugely enjoying this record today.

Edit: 8.5/10. I can't quite say what makes this album so special, but it just really is for me.

Edit: Screw it it's a 9/10 I'm a normie now I guess.
Universe555
On one hand, it's an enjoyable album, something I can easily get into the groove of and not feel much but music.

On the other hand, it's too simplistic, and I'm always wishing for more with each song. Like a missing ingredient, except I can't necessarily name what it is yet.
What a pleasant little album! It's just that combination of Adrianne Lenker's soothing voice and the immaculate instrumentals that just gave me shivers. "U.F.O.F." didn't necessarily blow me away (except for that scream in the opener) but, with the great, emotional songwriting and the gorgeous production, it didn't have to try that hard to make me say "Oh my gosh this is so beautiful" many times!

Fav Tracks: Cattails, Contact, UFOF, Strange, Jenni, From, Open Desert, ... read more
okcomputer12127
Rumors + Titanic Rising
ryanreviews
Lovely indie folk album which has the same attitude as an album like "Bark Your Head Off, Dog" from last year. Impressed on first listen and will definitely be revisiting it to see if it grows on me later in the year.
thomasuic
I'm lying in bed, after taking in all the great nostalgic, happy and emotional density from "Father of The Bride", I gave UFOF my 5th listen probably. After that listen this album has never been the same for me. It brought me back to real life, to the darkness and bitter sweetness of it. It made me realise how music can open your mind to different aspects of life. This is the importance of mindfulness music listening. In the age of music streaming which gave us access to millions of ... read more
Simply stunning -- some of the most beautiful playing I've heard on record in a long time. The guitars and drums on this record are understated but sound simply wonderful. Aside from a few monstrous moments (opener 'contact' and penultimate track 'Jenni'), this record revels in the quiet moments, allowing Adrianne Lenker's wispy voice to shine. She sounds fantastic here -- palpable emotion in every line (with wildly creative lyrics to boot).

Everything about this record is fantastic: vocals, ... read more
newslang
A folk hero for 2019
The minimalist sound of Lenker and company takes on yet another devastatingly calm and airy feeling to it - and then Contact starts to come to a close and you hear the shrill screams over the instrumentation and you immediately get the sense that this is going to be a whole new record for Big Thief.

Capacity really grew on me over time, and Lenker's solo project from last year continued to give a taste of how far this group could take their sound. On U.F.O.F. the group maintain that sound ... read more
EdFruscley
Generic album with female voice and a simple background no.638186382. Almost the same voice in whole album, the drums are generic so much, seems like dreampop at the end, but it's not atmospheric, I just feel a plane acoustic guitar and a voice that doesn't have energy to sing. Disappointed, disappointed the fact that almost everything "indie" band and songwriter woman has to be and do this to be notice.
MinatoArisato
A subtle and smooth album that is quite relaxing. U.F.O.F can be a bit sparse and is definitely one of those albums that you need to be in the mood to hear
palomacola
delicate and confident at the same time - every other song I'm just picturing Adrianne and Buck plucking their guitars with shards of glass, dragging out every amorphous sound those strings can make

everything about the instrumentation makes me curl - the carrying momentum of the drums, the vastness of the layered vocals, the worldly piano, the other-worldly bells, whatever that marble-rolling sound is at the start of 'From', etc.

this album allows time to stop for me for just a bit, and then ... read more
TheBravesDH
I guess I was able to finally get through a whole album of theirs, so that's an improvement. I still just find Lenker to be one of the least engaging performers in indie rock.
red_gregory
She conveys interesting foreign feelings in brief, dense verses and gut punching choruses. For me, revisiting U.F.O.F in its entirety is to not gain a deeper understanding of the lyrical context which is easily determined upon first two listens, but rather to experience the otherworldly rollercoaster Adrianne Lenker and producer Andrew Sarlo showcase. An indie singer songwriter marvel and a strong contender for best of 2019.
lermontov
Poor and boring
4ad artists are terribly overrated
EntryIncomplete
U.F.O.F is, first of all, just plain fantastic.

Big Thief has had a steady growth since their first album, and this album is the glorious result of years of experimentation, discovery and curiosity. It's a big step up from an already pretty great foundation. It's hard to describe just how U.F.O.F is so much better than their previous two albums, but the difference, the evolution and growth is clear as day even from just the first few minutes here. The record sounds great, they've clearly ... read more
Caffro
This album is S T U N N I N G

A hypnotizing, peaceful and melancholic journey into folk. The production is so nice and Adrianne Lenkers vocals are extremely passionate and sincere. Very patient in its pacing. Actually got flashes of the brilliant Carrie and Lowell while listening.

Faves: UFOF, Cattails, From, Terminal Paradise, Jenni, Magic Dealer
AnalVape
"U.F.O.F." is pretty decent, but the overly consistent nature of these songs prevent this album from being spectacular.

I like the sound of this. It's pretty cool, and rather unique alongside current artists in this genre, however, I do think some of the ideas presented are simply repeated too many times throughout the album. Occasionally some moments like the weird bass solo in Strange will offset this, but I swear when Betsy comes on, I've heard this one already earlier in the ... read more
76fex
Where the previous albums feel pragmatic and sure-footed, U.F.O.F. moves with seemingly no agency--a snowflake traveling in multiple directions before it terminally kisses the ground.

Multiple listens required.

A couple weeks later:
I can't really remember what I listened to.......
HCOP511
FANTASTIC Album. Finger-pickin’ good.

My personal fave from Big Thief – Lenker’s vocals pair well with the cumbersome vibe they’re going for. Beautiful & haunting at times, this is a must listen for 2019.
tropicalmalady
One of the rare recent examples of a truly honest work which doesn't utilize sadness as a profitable investment. Exquisitely put together and timeless.
goodboiloic
It's somewhere between Capacity and Adrianne's solo project abysskiss. In fact it contains a lovely remake of Adrianne's song "from". The band's performance is the most expressive ever, and Adrianne is taking some bold moves in terms of vocal performance. I got to say that Big Thief never fails to deliver high quality projects. UFOF is raw, delicate and nostalgia inducing, a very strong contender for the AOTY
No better way to prove their growth.
Way more balanced than Capacity.
So soft yet so loud.
choice_kingdom
Haunting, floaty and soothing. Big Thief are a gorgeous band and their consistent output is proof of it. Love this
Such beauty, great instrumentation , Such nuance, wow.
BM5X5
Snoozefest. All these indie bands are starting to sound the same.
8.7 out of 10
cfreemon
Every year there's some indie record people rave over that doesn't click for me, and UFOF seems to be the one for 2019. It's an amalgam of different facets of folk and in turn the songs are bland imitations of better efforts. Adrienne Lenker's vocals reminds me of Julia Jacklin with a whole lot less emotion in her voice. The instrumentals sounds like Sufjan Stevens but without the subtlety of his voice to guide them along. There are moments reminiscent of Deerhunter's Halcyon Digest or ... read more
lukassantiago3
The haunting atmosphere creates something so beautiful and powerful, a epic statement which is enough to break someone in tears.
TheRootBoy
Sounds like something I would have listened to in high school when I was discovering cute, whimsy indie bands. With that said the music feels somewhat drawn out and too out of focus after a while listen.
bielsucker
em minha percepção fraco, começou a ser um bom album e foi ficando fraco, ou seja, não manteve o nivel de uma boa sonoridade

Flying Lotus - Flamagra