Dave - Psychodrama
Psychodrama
Skrilla
'Lesley' is one of the best storytelling tracks I've ever heard.
Prelude: This might be shaping up to be the best year that UK Rap has ever seen

Review: GODDAMMIT THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A 9, BUT VOICES WAS SO GODDAMN BAD UGH

This is perhaps, the most meaningful rap release of the year so far. UK Rapper Dave absolutely pours out his heart over 11 tracks. His keen sense of wordplay and admirable storytelling abilities are the most likable features of this album. The album features this 10 minute epic of a song called Lesley that, while not being my favorite ... read more
PatrickL0419
People seemed to really enjoy this record, and while Dave is a very technically proficient rapper, I didn't find Pscyhodrama all that captivating.

The beats are serviceable but not very memorable, and the socio-political threads through which Dave weaves his lyrical tapestry are almost as cliché as the metaphor I just used. I applaud any rapper that attempts to tackle societal issues in their music, but Dave doesn't really put a personal spin on it, and seems content to just throw out ... read more
BEAR
Goddamn this is fantastic. I think even people who don't like British Rap could enjoy this. Dave is a great storyteller and lyricist and he showcases that on this album. The instrumentals on this album are beautiful produced too. They make the whole psychodrama theme of the album better. AOTY so far.

FAV TRACKS: Psycho, Streatham, Black, Disaster, Screwface Capital, Lesley,

LEAST FAV TRACK: Voices
smallpeeble
them bars deserves an ultimate F.

faves:
1. streatham
2. screwface capital
3. lesley
I was on the verge of tears after my first listen. "Psychodrama" is an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish! Dave spits bar after bar and every line just hooks you in! "Lesley" is the perfect example of this, telling a heartbreaking story of an abusive relationship and is easily one of the best narrative-driven tracks I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Top that off with some great production and you have yourself one of the best releases of the year!

Fav ... read more
Cyd
I first heard of Dave three years ago when he was just seventeen already making huge waves with songs like Six Paths and Thiago Silva. What’s mad to me is the development and care he’s put into his rhymes since then to further improve himself, putting thought into his art. This album is really good. Dave’s storytelling, bars and, the way he projects his voice is unmatched by anyone in the UK rap scene since Dizzee dropped BIDC. This young, I don’t see why Dave ... read more
BFunk32
This isn’t too good
Dave's one hell of a lyricist and he's got bars for days. Tracks like Lesley and Psycho just pull you in and never let go. My one problem with this album is that some of the tracks feel very samey and Dave sounds quite preachy at points, like he's trying suuuper hard to be extremely dramatic which kinda rubbed me the wrong way. But Dave's got a tonne of talent and I'm curious to see where he's headed.
Birdal
The intro is so hard, can't get past it.
GIZ
Dave shows off with incredible cohesion, wordplay and lyricism on this debut album. The production is nice and mellow and Dave’s storytelling is magnificent.

Check this one out
aaron
An artist so obviously well held together, but unfortunately he falls into the biggest flaw of creating an introspective record in the hip-hop sphere. You give your deepest thoughts and bury them in bravado? your listeners are not dumb. It creates a disconnect, if you're going introspective you've got to do that and leave the cliche punch-line hooks for artists who can never reach as deep as you go as an artist.

Instrumentation, is also entry level shit, but thats understandable for a debut by ... read more
I thought about my lad, Big Shag while listening to this album.

Fav Songs: Psycho, Disaster

Least Fav Songs: Streatham, Black, Purple Heart, Screwface Capital, Voices, Drama
Tallglassofwate
Dave wastes no time on Psychodrama. In the opening song he sets the tone. Some of the themes in the album opener 'Psycho' include depression, poverty and suicide, so if the album cover wasn't a hint enough, 'Psycho' firmly establishes Psychodrama as a dark and challenging hip hop album.

The production on this album is simple and hardly worth noting but that seems to be intentional. Dave knows the production is beside the point and uses it only to set a backdrop to his gorgeous prose. That's ... read more
ryanreviews
Truly bad. Where do I start? The pretentious lyrics and offensively basic flow. The derivative and clean production with zero personality at all. Get this shit outta here.
goncalocouto
"Psychodrama" is sincere, humble, reckless, extravagant and poetic.

✅ Psycho | Streatham | Black | Disaster | Screwface Capital | Environment | Lesley | Drama
When you break it down there must be over 40 minutes of moaning here.
rydenoir
It's hard to believe that Dave was only 19 years old when making "Psychodrama", an album so emotional and mature & filled with incredible songwriting and lyricism and what I feel is destined to become a "classic" in the UK hip-hop scene.

~
First things first: the tracks "Psycho", "Black", "Lesley" and "Drama" are all tracks that are absolutely incredible and can each win a Grammy for "Best Rap Song". These songs are ... read more
VividAids
contender for worst cover art 2019
Good

I was in the heat of Lesley, and I finally got this album. Can't say much about it tho. This is a lyric heavy album, so it yields a sitting down and listening. I don't think you can put this on for background music. You have to be able to take in the messages and urgency in his voice. The instrumentals, though, are really generic and boring.

Color: Purple
FAV TRACKS: Lesley, Black, Drama, Screwface Capital, Location, Disaster
thomasny18
I think it's pretty cool listening to someone that grew up in the same area as me. I could give this a 100 just because he grew up in Streatham, but I need to be honest.

I've never been a fan of Dave. I just didn't get the hype, but I was pleasantly surprised by this. He does however need to keep the quality more consistent to really win me over. Purple Heart and Location really weighs this album down.
ZeniaIrl
Damn near cried at the end of "Lesley"...
KnifeTrick
From the first glance, I didn't give this one too much thought. But boy, this hooked me 'till the very end.
The concept for the album is quite a great narrative trope on therapy sessions as it came back as a reflection On Dave in his debut record.

Though some songs did go pass me like Purple Heart, Location, Disaster, and Voices (I didn't like this song much).

Also, 'Lesley' is one of the greatest narrative-tracks I've heard in a VERY long time.
itsyahboinoah
yeaaaah aight
this isn't a regular uk hip-hop album, this is a fucking masterpiece. the lyrics and instrumentals are both phenomenal and i almost cried listening to some of these songs. this whole album is completely surreal and, as a debut, is one of the best debuts i've heard ever.

best songs: lesley, drama, psycho, streatham, screwface capital

worst song: voices
Dynade
Dave is a great lyricist and has some genius moments, but the album is bogged down by inconsistencies and bad songs, not to mention the generally terrible hooks and beats.

Favorites: Psycho, Streatham, Black, Screwface Capital, Lesley

Worst: Voices
This album is extremely overrated. All goes well, of course, Dave's storytelling and lyricism abilities are remarkable at times on the album, but they are wobbly at times. I'm not going to say that Dave has a generic and boring flow but I almost fell asleep listening to the album. The concept is cool, but it is not executed as convincingly as it could have been. Above all, the rhythms of this album are boring and generic. They all use the same piano and this makes the songs that are not super ... read more
Most overrated shit since Care For Me by Saba
NarrativeCoffee
Althought this album has some intriguing and captivating storytellings, it feels lazy musically, like Dave seems to have things to say about his recent life experiences, but his music doesn't seem to reach the sense of drama he wants to spread with this LP.

I still find interesting the social issues and stress he has recently been exposed to, but the way he comunicates these messages seems to lack of vocal delivery and emotion in most of the tracks.

PD: Lesley though...
TheRootBoy
Contemporary art is the best way to describe Dave's PSYCHODRAMA. You are to lean in and listen to the man's words and the darkness casting over his words. Grime has never felt so secluded and introspective for me before.
A lot of song topics and good lyric writing, but a lack of instrumentals that compliment Dave's voice/not so fleshed out ideas to really make this thing stick. This has potential to grow on me, though.
LilGatorade
Bro i'm super woke now thanks for waking me up about world issues that literally no other rapper talks about!!!
Another great album coming from the UK rap scene. I got caught off guard by this and it took me a long while to understand who deep and frightening the whole project actually is. Great lyrics, but the album had some little flaws when talking about the features and some times the production was overwhelming. But all those problems aren't enough for a disliking experience.
Fantastic lyricism and wordplay mixed with some intricate, generally serviceable beats. 'Psycho', 'Black', 'Screwface Capital', and 'Lesley' are all highlights. 'Psychodrama' feels like a genuinely important release!
Knxckebeatz
The piano melody on Disaster is so off key it lowkey hurts my ears and makes me grin
laz456
Sure the rapping is good and he's a solid lyricist. But you've heard every beat on this LP before. Nothing fresh at all in terms of production.
turtle_muffin_
While Dave's debut album is flawed, the promise it shows is worth a listen, as is the way Dave weaves his own emotions and troubles into interesting lyrics that hold my attention the whole way through.

Best Tracks: Drama, Voices
Normal rap.

Also Evironment and Drama got the same exact drums
LachieYoung
BEST ALBUM OF 2019 SO FAR

Technically one of the best rappers out there who successfully illustrates many stories while still providing a deep and immense listening experience.

Best songs - Black, Psycho, Environment, Lesley, Screwface Capital

Worst Songs - None

**Update - Lesley is absolutely amazing
This is the second amazing uk album to come out this year, the storytelling is absolutely out of this world and really paints a picture. His flow is on point on every track and he has a lot of witty bars on this. He spits very formulaically, but that’s not bad because I’ve heard a lot of things on this I haven’t heard before. I really recommend this album.

EDIT (RATING:90): It’s not as good as I said before, I went back and disliked a few songs and because of the fact ... read more
Cobis
Obra maestra
jordymusic
The English J. Cole
notbuzzzila
GREY Area is no longer the best grime album of 2019
KoleeKo
Dave is spitting on here but most of the beats sink the project. I can't say he sounds emotionless because if you listen to the lyricism he pours it all out, but his tone puts me in a lull the entire time. Pair that with uninteresting beats and we don't get the Dave album he has the potential to make.
DAAaaaaaaave!
Strong debut. Lots of potential shown
Willbyrne27
it's ok i guess
PeggyPomp
Content wise it this project stellar, but it lacks in replay value.
holowna
While a technically proficient and tonally captivating rapper, Dave's lyrics often fall short. Considering the fact that his production is meant to background his lyrics, I expected a lot more. No idea why this is so highly rated honestly. Most of his thoughts are surface level observation paired with disjointed anecdotes.

Rating: Mediocre to Average (50).

Dave - Psychodrama