Palehound - Black Friday
Black Friday
fakeplasticrose
i swear i've heard this album 50 times
A fun and pleasing album that is driven by the creative and in many ways simplistic songwriting. The focus on witty and introspective lyricism and emotionally raw vocal delivery make for a strong introduction to Palehound from my end and encourages me to check out some of their back catalog at some point.

Favorite track: Sneakers
This album feels like the same cookie cutter indie folk style with the same stock fem-indie lyrical concerns that are everywhere right now - which makes it a perfunctory, oftentimes tedious, listening experience.

‘Killer’ pricked my ears and had me racing to see if it was a cover of an Elliott Smith B-Side I’d missed - it wasn’t, but the verse melody sounds lifted from Smith anyhow.

It remains a decent tune but I haven’t a clue how anyone could get excited by the ... read more
HCOP511
This album is fine, just fine. I think the issue is that it’s such a saturated market right now of this type of pop/indie rock with a soft spoken female vocalist (i.e. Soccer Mommy) that you need to make leaps and bounds to stand out from the crowd. This album just doesn’t do that for me.
Deeply felt and accomplished third full length studio effort from the Boston-based combo that explores the themes of love & compassion with rock anthems laced with emotional sincerity and optimism, shedding light to Ellen Kempner's inner turmoil and vulnerability.
nickmmendes
short and sweet

not a lot of instruments here besides the classic indie songwritter setup plus some luxuous strings

the song writing is really the strong point, the chords progression choices are very intresting and differ this project from other indie-folk of this year.
Palehound’s Ellen Kempner has always been a reserved composer — shying away from flashy moments in order to better illuminate her intensely personal lyrics. Listening to the songs on “Black Friday” feels like eavesdropping on Kempner’s private conversations — she’s got a careful eye for pertinent details, and a strong instinct for which overheard quotes are the most emotionally potent. This strong songwriting show essentially eclipses most of the ... read more
WildChameleon
On Black Friday, Palehound is way more polished yet conserve some of the 90's singer-songwriting vibes that made their charm.

You can check peaceful tracks, intimate lyrics, good voice, good instrumentation. Nothing more to say and here is the problem.

None of these albums with 90's vibes indie singer-sonwriting (S-S) are bad. But we are facing a real saturation of the market and I'm afraid it would impact our perception of what's really good or not.

Every recent releases respect some of ... read more

Madonna - Madame X