AURORA - A Different Kind Of Human (Step II)
A Different Kind Of Human (Step II)
Aurora embraces a modern pop sound to create a beautiful album that feels different from the rest of the pop landscape. Sure, it fills in with most of the pop stereotypes but Aurora has a special attention to details and lyrics, which makes her music really stand out.
Cosmilk
Don't listen to @thomasny18, he's just a meanie.

I was caught on to AURORA late last year after I heard her incredible single, Forgotten Love, which I would highly recommend checking out. That single belonged to her 2018 project, Infections Of A Different Kind, which took on a very Art Pop oriented style. The instrumentation was beautiful, and her voice is something that can not be ignored. Coming into this project, I was excited to hear more of that art pop style we heard from her in the ... read more
thomasny18
Despite my limited knowledge on AURORA, I was pretty excited going into this album. I mean, I haven't listened to anything else by her, but generally I hear her name positively mentioned. I also see the ratings come in for this album (currently at 9 at the moment of typing) and the score, while possibly changing in the future, looks really good. AURORA might just be up there next to Björk and Fever Ray, as one of my favourite Nordic pop singers.

This unfortunately, as the more I was ... read more
Bjartolini
delightful, it could possibly be a tad repetitive at times but its not too much of a big deal. as far as pop music goes aurora stands out as an excellent example of how to do infectiously catchy pop tunes that are accesible but also sprinkle in her own unique little touches and expirimental bits.

all in all its a nice trip inside her weird norwegian forest fairy mind, and the result is 40 quite good consistent minutes of pop music
Norwegian pop auteur Aurora Aksnes's (aka AURORA) brand new record moves toward an exciting direction as she apparently follows a familiar pop territory but given her curious nature, puts a bold spin as it glides through diverse set of pop anthems which exudes confidence and sensibility.
"A Different Kind Of Human (Step II)" is a beautiful record that combines modern pop with Björk-ish production pretty well. There's the odd cliche that pops up but AURORA's dedication to sound and songwriting are undeniable here.

Fav Tracks: A Different Kind Of Human, The River, Daydreamer, Animal, The Seed, Dance On The Moon, In Bottles

Least Fav Track: Soulless Creatures

Score:
8.4
Great
goncalocouto
It's more pop, sure. So what? This album includes magical vibes, a tribal percussion, a profusion of incredible vocal techniques and well-written lyrics that tell a beautiful story. In the middle of this album, I felt a little bit bored by the production, but she puts a lot of little surprises which wakes you up. I always get goosebumps (in a good way) when I listen to her. AURORA has a brilliant career ahead of her.

✅ Animal | Hunger | Soulless Creatures | In Bottles | A Different Kind of ... read more
This album's alright, I guess. Your average Walmart Björk-ish art pop record that sounds grand at first glance, but gets straight up boring afterwards. There are good spots for sure, but nothing that would truly make me come back for more than a week.
WildChameleon
I am quite disappointed after step I :/
While the previous effort was more focused on constructing interesting art pop with emotion, here she tends to recycle her tricks and some tracks lacks emotions and ideas, taking a more stereotypical road.

It doesn't mean this album is bad, it's just that her First Step was so good that this one feels more the first step and the previous her final step.
nijakiler17
Carly in shambles: this is referring to the singer carly rae jepsen who, imo, made a worse album and is in distress about that fact
cattroll
Album tries to be unique and diverse, and on some songs it even works, but in the end it all sounds mixed. Maybe after the re-listening I'll even like it more. Let's see.
Gyro64
Not as much personality as Step 1 but still maintains the beauty from it, I've also noticed a lot of shitty pop tropes in here but could be overlooked because it's done extremely well. Also her fucking voice is so hmmmmmmmmmmm
laz456
I'm sorry
lermontov
Very cheap art. Some kind of attempt to make yourself something special.
Álbum del año
SebastianWolf
On A Different Kind Of Human, Aurora celebrates diversity, empowerment and sincerity with a weirdly euphoric sound. There's a lot to unpack here, for it's quite well-produced and thematically interesting, yet it's still so simplistic. While not every song is a masterpiece, there's definitely some fantastic moments on A Different Kind Of Human.

Best lyric: "There is a flaw in man-made matters. But you are pure, and we have to get you out of here".

Best song: A Different Kind Of Human ... read more
Aurora lo hace de nuevo

Ha creado uno de los mejores álbumes del año, y es que con Step II ha dejado en claro que su música está tomando un nuevo rumbo... con vibras mágicas, uso de sonidos Pop y una producción demasiado arriesgada y aunque hay que admitir que su antecesor "Step I" es mejor en cuanto a calidad, esta nueva entrega no se queda tan atrás para las altas expectativas que tenía sobre este nuevo album.

Tampoco es ... read more
A very dreamy Norwegian pop album that is fun and very nice to listen to. Songs can get repetitive at times.
Putzcecela
Uma vibe maravilhosa, com uma voz gostosa de se ouvir. Parabéns Aurora, o álbum tem vocais suaves, que deixam o ambiente agradável e relaxado.

The River: 10/10
Apple Tree: 9/10
The Seed: 8/10
Mothership: 9/10
pailthorpe
One thing I like about Aurora is her greastest ability of telling stories through her albums. I could feel it in this one as well. She gave us a confident work with an amazing feeling, and with theatrical melodies that she does since her first album.

♡: the seed
Emme_Strt
Soft Bjork ?
fabsricio
É um bom álbum, tanto liricamente quanto sonoramente, possui um conteúdo importante para todos. Explora bem a música pop em novas perspectivas, porém, com momentos repetitivos e fracos para um álbum. Aurora é uma artista com grande potencial na música e estou curioso para ver seus próximos trabalhos.
PatrickL0419
Gives me hope that CHVRCHES will get their shit together someday.

Don't look for anything too highbrow, it may be just another synthpop record, but the things are damn fun.
FermentedEars
falls somewhere between Björk without avantgarde aspirations and the Lion King soundtrack. Beautiful record, but a bit over the top.
Tsareena
Pretty good follow up to "Infections Of A Different Kind". More pop than step i but a few of the songs sound a bit too similar on this
Faves: Daydreamer, A Different Kind of Human
luisdelrey2016
Finally Aksnes find her way on her AURORA undername with releasing the splenderous STEP II off the A Different Kind Of Human series. In contrast to the previous STEP, this really ilustrates the music she makes in right approaches; every single track in the project has deserved its part, and it inmediatly fills up with a load of emotions and textures on her gently soprano vocals and great influences.
FAVS: The River, Dance On the Moon, Daydreamer, Soulless Creatures, In Bottles, The Seed
LEAST ... read more
oh
that title track is everything
ChrisMan
Apple Tree 10/10
The Seed 8/10
Mothership 7/10
MikeeYo
It's not better than Step I, but this one has probably the best outro song of any album I've ever heard.
slingshot
While I agree that this kind of "friendly indie-pop" production can sound extremely overdone at times, thank God it isn't in all of the album. I still see all the potential and uniqueness coming from Aurora in this record, her songwriting is really something.

Highlights: The River, Animal, In Bottles, The Seed.
sou cadelinha sim idai
KingLukas
Nah dis good.
Viberantweb
Much like Sigrid before her, AURORA is the next Scandinavian popstar to make a cute and glamorous album that has broken through into the ruthless world of British pop music this year; and A Different Kind Of Human (Step II) has justified the hype surrounding it. Her art-pop fusions on this album make for really pleasant listening, especially with her abstract and unorthodox songwriting; utilising her dreamy vocal delivery to full effect. It's an atmospheric and gorgeous release from a name who ... read more
Carlosbarbosa00
Aurora entrega um bom trabalho pop nessa segunda parte, a primeira menos pop deu um destaque maior a seus vocais, apesar de tudo ela soube usar eles bem e a produção não foi o centro das atenções nesse álbum, as letras como sempre sendo o maior destaque junto com os vocais dela. O álbum tem alguns fillers e é um pouco abaixo do esperado tendo como comparação a primeira parte, porém se olharmos cenário pop atual ... read more
puzzlemoon
Ainda tendo um meio bem inconsistente e repetitivo em algumas partes, a AURORA não repete alguns dos erros do trabalho anterior e nos entrega um trabalho bem gostosinho e com momentos muito interessantes e marcantes (The River, por exemplo, é uma faixa excepcional!!).

★ The River
★ Daydreamer
notanalt
Step II
d3ligtjohn
The influences I’m hearing (and I’m probably way off) are Vampire Weekend, early 2000’s pop and modern “EDM tinged” synth pop. This album is chock full of lackluster melodies, generic and glossy production(sometimes ruining genuinely nice instrumentation.), weird metaphors being thrown around left and right and topped off with the most cliche ambient, reverby sounds possible. Some songs just feel structureless like “Soulless Creatures”, Others are just ... read more
En camino de convertirse en uno de los grandes del synthpop. Sin que todavía les falta.
Lo mejor: Daydreamer, Animal, The River
Lo peor: nada
Crimson00
for me this is a ok album. theres nothing that really stunned me but there are some good ideas. Like songs like The Seed, A Different Kind of Human. But I kinda dont see the hype with this album.
sevenlives
Um bom álbum porém, passa a sensação de que falta algo, em relação ao primeiro álbum e ao EP, não achei coeso, há duas ou três músicas que se fossem excluídas, não fariam falta, porém as músicas que passam uma identidade ao álbum, são as melhores, creio que seria melhor se tivesse a mesma quantidade de faixas que o EP Infections of a Diferent Kind (Step 1)

The River 86
Animal ... read more
7.1 out of 10
TheHeights
The concept of the album is interesting and funny, I was personally really interested in the Animal single that came out in the beginning of the year. However, it feels like a lot of wasted potential when listening to it.
The production choices are pretty generic, and doesn't make you feel connected to the lyrical and musical detail Aurora has put a lot of effort in. Also, some of the tracks become unbearable.
Probably the best part was listening to the vocals in the middle tracks, but out of ... read more
danielson
Although this album is not as good as "Infections Of A Different Kind - Step 1", it has great lyrics, good produciton and beautiful vocals that aurora always deliver. Maybe I need a few more listenings to really feel this project, differently from the last álbum or EP that was "love at first sight"

Best tracks: The River, Animal, Soulless Creatures, In Bottles.
ulittlefuckers
уou take too much upon yourself.
AShinyGiratina
Dissapointing.
I was expecting this to be a contender for Baroque Pop AotY but it's pretty mediocre at times and Apple Tree is a fucking terrible track.
hyunty
the power that she has, the intelligence that she has, the clearance that she has... this is art
And that is a pretty nice album. AURORA with her tiny voice creates a really nice art pop stories. To be frank, she's much better live, but the record is also very pleasurable to listen to.

ChesterPaccini
A Different Kind of Human is like radio pop but higher quality if that makes sense. AURORA created a very safe and gentle but still catchy pop record that I could see doing very well on the radio. Some of the repetitive melodies were a bit annoying and I found it sad that some of the more interesting points of the album were not taken further.

All in all, nothing objectively wrong with this album, but it could have been pushed in certain places to be better.
bielsucker
ainda sem compreender a grandiosidade de tal artista, mas a critica sensata a esse novo trabalho da aurora é obvia: não deixou de ter a mesma qualidade dos outros trabalhos e nem espanta. o cd está extremamente simples e perfeito, o que mostra que ela não largou seu trono de uma ótima artista, e claro seu jeitinho medieval de ser, o que mais me encanta, aurora, você conte comigo pra tudo.. e se quiser me dar um step lll ano que vem, fique a vontade.
This album includes very magical vibes, lyrics are well-written; they are like a telling-story. In the middle of this album I felt a little bit bored by the production, but she puts a lot of little surprises which wakes you up and you enjoy everything ones again. Very good body of work

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest