Marika Hackman - Any Human Friend
Any Human Friend
Marika Hackman is a wiseguy. Her lyrics oscillate between spikey barbs and intimate desires without shifting in tone. Following her compelling (if not lengthy) sophomore effort, Hackman returns with her silver tongue and some added synths to rake herself and her lovers over the coals. The songs are catchy, and the guitar hooks are quite satisfying. 'come another' has a fantastic hook and lyrics that capture Hackman's often self-deprecating images. For example, 'So Keep a cradle warm for me/ I ... read more
thebibleparttwo
At first I thought my friend cyd had exaggerated but no, this album is garbage. It’s quite average, somewhat boring and pretty safe for a record in its area. I haven’t read any reviews on here but I hope people aren’t giving this good scores to not seem homophobic. but I’m gay so I’m allowed to shit on my fellow gays

oh yea and lyrically this album is just her wanting to finger girls and herself. nothing special about this record

and idk really what to rate it so ... read more
laz456
An awesomely catchy, exhilarating indie pop record I am absolutely in love with. A great end-of-the-summer listen you shouldn't miss.
If you've followed my account, which I won't assume you have, you'll know just how impressed I've been with this years slew of albums released by female singer/songwriters. I really have yet to be disappointed by what I've heard, and this Marika Hackman album is no exception.

Any Human Friend is a practice in intimacy, both with warm and inviting vocalization and personal songwriting. On top of all of this intimacy is instrumentation that is at times soft and easy and at other times hooky and ... read more
WildChameleon
Another solide release from Marika Hackman, this album is even more punchier than her previous albums.

The writing is sharp and tender, the sonority is catchy. What else ?

I don't know why but she doesn't reach the emotional state of We slept at last. Of course the production of her recent releases is on top but something misses here for standing on its own.

The competition is hard these days for indie artists because there are so much releases, so much trends and a standardization of the ... read more
Tsareena
Gorgeous melodies and production on this. Really catchy and fun with some great writing as well. Marika is a very open writer and there's so much personality in this album. Great follow up to "I'm Not Your Man"
Faves: the one, hand solo, hold on
In her third album, Marika Hackman brings a different vibe for her discography, an evolved sound and very interesting lyrics 'Any Human Friend' may be her best work yet, the instrumentals blew my mind actually, very very impressed, I love albums that make me focus on from the beginning, and don't let me breathe till it's over, and this album has that.
dumbmoonlight
Sometimes I forget how indie rock sounds like, and I keep remembering of that band Kid Abelha when I listen to something with it. Oh, well. At least I have a base on this.

In every case, "all night" and "blow"definitely are my favorite tracks from this album, but I still have the feeling it misses something. Either some more emotion, or less of the same vibe it surrounds the tracks.
winitheju
I think this will bring Marika a lot more attention which is fantastic. There are some great moments on this and I'm excited to dive into her lyrics, which never disappoint. But y'all new fans should go back and check out "I'm Not Your Man." It's far more cohesive
Yaysuz
Pitchfork told me that this album was going to be horny, so I was really skeptical going into this album. I was not looking forward to a sensual listening experience, but then again, this album has been marked as "MUST HEAR ALBUM", so I have no choice.

Now, the lo-fi and fuzz-infused guitar playing in the opening got me hyped for a lo-fi indie record, but the second track averted my expectations, turning into a full-on indie-pop tune. And then we have All Night... and now I ... read more
imissyeats
This one is growing on me with every listen. It might well be Marika's finest work yet after all.
pnrs
There’s a few things I love about this record: its fresh pop sound and how it’s unapologetically horny and queer. However, some of the writing is weak and I don’t think some of it will age particularly well, see the use of big dick energy and IMHO.
Xristoula
Not loving it, not hating it either.Vocals on point.
JUKEBOX
Don't let Any Human Friend's first track be the only impression of Marika Hackman's new work. The slow start is contrasted right away in the next track, and from there it becomes an increasingly consistent and engaging listen. Synthetic and with excellent choruses, Hackman's music brings humor and a carefreeness to her straigh to the point manifestations, adressing her sexuality and her melancholy and lonely moments while maintaining a good mood. It is the energy and the spirit that works at ... read more
Vanners
Instrumentally this album sounds very nice on the ears, and it's consistently nice on the ears. Though it does suffer at the hands of sometimes not having the right flow between tracks, and that hinders it a bit. Still though, a very interesting listen with a couple bops and some bloody great hooks.

Favourite Tracks:
the one, i'm not where you are, hand solo
AShinyGiratina
Lots of bangers but very little cohesion

Young Thug - So Much Fun