Bat For Lashes - Lost Girls
Lost Girls
An album absolutely oozing in 80s synth influence that others have pointed out for obvious reasons. This causes the album to lack in a certain level of originality but does land in the realm of execution.

Khan has a dreamy quality to her voice, one that I've largely missed out on up to this point. Her voice meshes well with the 80s vibe, feeling straight from a past era but still having the quality production and sounds that make this sound fresh to a degree, although again not entirely new. ... read more
WildChameleon
After the Bride, it wasn't a surprise to see a full synth album. Lost girls is a pure 80's synth album with a modern production, something that is pretty common recently (Hatchie for example). As it's kinda trendy these years, the risk is to be redundant.

To describe lost girls, I will just say don't judge a LP by its singles because here they are extremely basic.

Kids in the dark is your typical love song from the 80's. There is any layer of details, just some basic synth and basic lyrics. ... read more
"Lost Girls" is a beautifully-produced 80's throwback with great writing and Natasha Khan's great vocals. It's not entirely original for a modern synthpop album, but the quality of the songs manage to make up for it.

Fav Tracks: Feel For You, Mountains, Jasmine, Peach Sky, Kids In The Dark, Safe Tonight

Least Fav Track: Vampires (love that sax tho)

Score:
8.5
Exceptional
matteo
I accidentally deleted my review :(
An album that celebrates the slick and neon soak vibe of the 80's driven with so much artistic precision and grandeur, the fifth studio effort from Bat for Lashes Natasha Khan doesn't hold back instrumentally in building celestial, scintillating tracks evoking goth pop glamour and nocturnal pleasures of enraptured nature.

Opener Kids in the Dark pulses with synth-arpeggio punch that let us dive headfirst to her world, with infectious hooks and atmosphere evoking the era long gone. Second ... read more
laz456
Not a bad album but one I wished packed a bit more of a punch or brought something more unique to the table. This is just some overly tame synth pop that has nothing super special about it.
dumbmoonlight
You know that video with people in the 80s dancing, recorded in a nightclub? It could be played with almost every track from this album. Synthpop is starting to sound like "vintage pop" to me with these recent releases, but this is still pretty nice.
smallpeeble
lovely lovely
Natasha Khan, one of the best songwriters working today, released an album with incredible songs that don't fully produce a complete image. Khan poses a fascinating question of how someone outside of a specific culture can utilize similar materials to challenge the dominant assumptions of that culture. For me, this album finds Khan's typical Kate Bush theatrics blending with a sincere homage to John Carpenter films of the 1980s. Carpenter is a master at producing terror through crashing synths, ... read more
WittyMiki
This is a good synthpop record, the nostalgia vibe, consistent style, beautiful singing and production. all fits so well. Pure comfort
Tsareena
Gorgeous sound design. the songs work so well in the album context especially love how "Mountains" flows back into "Kids In the Dark". Natasha Khan knows I'll be looping this. Vague and simple lyrics with really detailed production. Great follow-up to "The Bride".
Faves: Kids In the Dark, Peach Sky, Mountains
TheBravesDH
I can't tell you how exciting it is for me to feel this engaged with Natasha's work again. (On that note, it's been ten years since Two Suns. Can we get a vinyl reissue PLEASE. It's impossible to find for a reasonable price.) This is such a sweet, soothing listen that's just overflowing with well-done 80's nostalgia without ever sounding cheap. The theme is a bit looser than it has been on albums past, but is a worthy trade off for how instantly you can connect with these tracks.

I really ... read more
lermontov
She’s always so young and fresh
I wasn't expecting to be this good, loved the synth aspects, her voice is amazing honestly kinda energizing. Probably gonna download it on Spotify and listen to it all week.
their_nickname
Natasha has decided to do what is largely an 80s throwback, and she makes it work. Pretty much every song is drowning in Human League-esque keyboards and synth, but Natasha Khan has the kind of voice that can carry almost anything. Her breathy, emotive vocals never quite reach the heart breaking heights of her past singles like Laura and Daniel, but she still sounds wonderful. there's even a sexy tinge to what she's doing here at times, not really what Natasha is known for regardless of her own ... read more
Bat For Lashes’ latest album takes a well needed curveball into an 80’s, retro Synth Pop sound. And for the most part, it’s a lot of fun. Sure, the narrative is a still hard to keep track of, and when it’s cheesy it’s VERY cheesy. But the majority of this album is a well penned love letter to a time that means so much to Natasha Khan.

Give A Listen To: "Kids in the Dark", "The Hunger", "Desert Man", "Jasmine", ... read more
PaulyZ

Safe Tonight (7.0)
Peach Sky (7.0)
Mountains (7.5)
FleetwoodGrips
Bat For Lashes makes a nice return with a lush and groovy modern call back on 80's synth pop. It's honestly a nice change of pace. I love the amount of work that's placed into each track. The beautiful synth arpeggios of the first track "Kids In the Dark" to the last track, "Mountains" which places a bit more emphasis on Natasha's vocals and songwriting. This was a very enjoyable listen.

Favs: Kids In the Dark, The Hunger, Feel For You, Jasmine, Vampires, So Good, Safe ... read more
DalekTurret32
Lost Girls has a fantastic synth-driven sound to it, as well as displaying a dark, gothic atmosphere to go with Natasha Khan's wonderful vocal style.

Kids In The Dark [103]

3. Kids In The Dark
2. The Hunger
1. Jasmine
Guilhermecritic
Um álbum melodicamente maravilhoso e muito bem harmonioso. O disco é bem equilibrado sempre se mantém na mesma linha sonora com muito drama.
kinda disapointing ngl
fab89
This album is beautifully influenced by the 80's, you can feel all the nostalgia in the songs, 'Kids in the Dark' is a great opener but then you have some highlights like ''Desert Man', 'Vampires' and it's The Cure vibes, 'So Good' and 'Safe Tonight' reminds me of the 80's Madonna. There is not a bad song on the album. Flawless!
fruitflies
This is SO SO good! It feels like the dark sister to E•MO•TION by Carly Rae Jepsen and that is a great thing. Fantastic production. 88/100
Cobalt
The new album from Bat For Lashes is a lush and enthralling trip into a vivid and neon-lit dreamscape, it's a beautiful and enveloping record filled with silky synth tones and dramatically tinged vocals, A brief yet impactful trip well worth taking that I'll surely be revisiting time and time again

Favorite tracks: Kids In the Dark, Safe Tonight, Jasmine, Desert Man, Mountains.
Kids in the Dark 7.5/10
Safe Tonight 6/10
Peach Sky 4/10
Mountains 5/10
Average 6.1
Unexpectedly good! Never been a fan of hers but after this record will reconsider.
Ebukar
I think we have a clear winner for album of the year!

If you are an 80s buff like me, obsessed with the sounds of the 80s and music that pays homage to it then you should really get into this album. It is synth retro 80s heaven at its finest.

The real nostalgia ultra.
SmartSaver
Venho acompanhando a carreira da Natasha há 1 década, presenciei seu nu e seu sombrio, agora, presencio sua alma. Lost Girls é sem dúvidas o trabalho mais coeso e compactado dela. O álbum nos faz voltar no tempo e desfrutas as maravilhas (vividas ou não) dos anos 80, as canções fazem com que você se sinta em uma atmosfera "oitentista" te colocando dentro de filmes e séries, essas dos anos 80 ou somente inspiradas nos ... read more
DrGonzo86
Oh dear. What a horrible misstep in an otherwise faultless back catalogue. Bland, uninspired and just downright boring.

JPEGMAFIA - All My Heroes Are Cornballs
House of Sugar
Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence
Chelsea Wolfe
Birth of Violence
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Lana Del Rey