DIIV - Deceiver
Deceiver
I concur, a user 79 and a critic 79

EDIT: ok now it's a Critic 80 and I'm unsure of my next move

EDIT EDIT: ok, I love you all, we go 76
Their most potent and abrasive work to date yet the beauty remains between the fuzz and haze. Shoegaze meets Elliott Smith vibes for days.
While it's not the most original shoegaze record I've heard and the album can feel a bit inconsistent, "Deciever" is still abrasive and fuzzy with lots of great instrumental ideas. It's also one of the better shoegaze records of the year.

Fav Tracks: Blankenship, Skin Game, Acheron, The Spark, Horsehead, Between Tides

Least Fav Track: For The Guilty

Score:
8.2
Great
TheBravesDH
I only listened to this because the bass player dared me to on Twitter. You know what though? It's kinda good, maybe their best. We'll see how much sticks with me since genres like shoegaze and dream pop are very nice to have on, but typically in one ear and out the other for me. I actually think the writing is pretty solid across a lot of this with the majority dealing with the well-documented addiction of Cole. Blankenship is a rager (for shoegaze anyway) of a climate change anthem. It really ... read more
laz456
Wow I wasn't expecting this one in the midst of all the great releases this weekend, but this record is really wonderful. I'm a sucker for shoegaze/dream pop so that's maybe part of it. But if you're a sucker for those genres too then I'm sure you'll get a lot out of this.
WildChameleon
What a pleasant surprise. This week is good.
chutbarn
As a listener, DIIV often felt mired down in all the extramusical 'activities' and history that came along with them. To think that an early 2010s buzz band who could once be considered 'UrbanOutfitters-core' have now seemingly overcome all that and reinvented themselves is an impressive feat. Without a doubt their best release.
holsgr
( ☆☆½ ) inconsistent but enjoyable composition here
notanalt
I See Nothing Through This Black Tinted Glass
NarrativeCoffee
It's such a pleasure to listen to this whole record, to give this group a new chance since the disappointment that was Is The Is Are. I wasn't expecting to see a good shoegaze record for this year and this just came out to change the game.
DIIV's latest album is a complete left turn from where they were at a few years back.  If you ever found yourself not being into the soaring, sunny Dream Pop that DIIV have been putting out, this is something you're going to want to hear.  It's a heavily produced, noisy, gritty album the likes of which I didn't think DIIV had in them.  Older fans may be turned off by this major shift, but I'm eating this up.

Give A Listen To: "Horsehead", "Like Before You Were ... read more
Z.Younk
I wasn't even aware of this release, but DIIV continue their streak with another great entry transcendent of shoegaze.
imimesis
Pitchfork ranked their first album *Oshiin* among the best Dream Pop albums ever. But here they've expanded their sound laterally to 90s shoegaze.

And it really works.
NewDawnFadez
Some good cuts towards the end, but wow, we’re hyping this up like it’s anything special? I’m getting tired of a shoegaze aesthetic being used as a desperate attempt to cover up dull songwriting and lackluster song structures.
panoramareviews
Surely has some really good songs, but the full listen is overwhelming.
amygoodall
good
fab89
DIIV used to bring catchy riffs and a lot of fuzz shoegaze on their previous albums, but 'Deceiver' show us a more dark and melancholic side of the band. They actually said the main themes are relationships and recovering and we can say that this was well translated on the songs, you have the shoegaze and indie feeling but in a more mature and sober way.
DrGonzo86
Oh DIIV. You’ve had it hard today. Coming in at number four of new albums that have released today which I’ve got around to listening to; you’ve had some stiff competition. On any normal day this would be the first new album I would go to, but this week has been a freak of nature in producing a lot of the years best music.

I’m going to have to do my best to review this somewhat objectively, as I’m on a bit of an emotional high after listening to some other notable ... read more
cfreemon
DIIV's music is absolutely bursting at the seams with reverb and noise. The best tunes on Deceiver use reverb as a compliment to the song itself. "Blankenship" is more straightforward, more garage rock-inspired than the rest, but with a killer rhythm at the core. "Skin Game" and "The Spark" are more conventional slowcore, with bits of fuzzy noise surrounding but not overtaking the good rhythms. Elsewhere, it's a mixed bag. The other cuts get swallowed in pure ... read more
Sondols
They have mastered the stereotypical shoegaze sound which is a good and a bad thing. I like shoegaze though. The first two songs were my favourites, after that everything sounded pretty much the same. I loved For The Guilty though. Also Blankenship stood out as a bit different take. Also lyrics are compelling in their themes of inner and outer struggle and how to manage it. Horsehead and some other songs had some similiar qualities to slowcore-like artists/bands such as (Sandy) Alex G.
Scumfucderelict
Pretty decent. Never liked them, but I gotta say I'm digging this new record. It has a little more substance.
Rec Tracks:
Acheron; Blankenship; Between Tides
Amazing album, this was a great surprise, DIIV never dissapoints.
polinagagarkina
strong 7
Xristoula
I couldn’t finish the whole album

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors