Matt Berninger - Serpentine Prison
Serpentine Prison
MRusso98
I'm in love with everything from this record. I've always been a big fan of Matt Berninger's voice in his The National experience. Sometimes for a great album you don't need to do anything too difficult, just pick up a guitar, play the piano and start singing a few songs. Serpentine Prison is the perfect example of that, the simplicity will always win.

FAVORITE TRACK: One More Second
It's no classic and as others have suggested this release is something of a throwback to the acoustic dominated 'Cherry Tree'. I do rate this slightly higher than that EP - but that's not because Berninger has developed into a more successful purveyor of melody, nor is he a better song writer than back then (nothing on this album equals 'About Today' for a start).

No, what Matt has improved on over the years are first and foremost his lyrics, which at this stage have relaxed and blossomed into ... read more
notanalt
Recite the callings of love and pain, my jolly good fellow.
landlalt
no fucking way man
AVI_reviews
Matt Berninger starts off his solo record with the perchance of a nostalgic love song, behind the bold title "My Eyes Are T-Shirts". It's simple, sweet and incredibly well put.

Much of "Serpentine Prison" is this way. They don't reinvent the wheel or try to add much to seperate itself from a horde of other folksy singer-songwriter records but even with that, Matt's records works in its earnesty and simplicity.

A quiet marvel in itself, full of well-written charms and ... read more
Felix_96
6/10

solid

Fav tracks: Loved So Little, Serpentine Prison
gdaujat
Great album, feel like he is singing to me in the corner singing to me.
Its basically a National album.
GarretsCarrots
Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers' distant cousin
GabrielDiablo
Poor
treblafreeman
Very folkish, very enjoyable.
Sometimes reminds me of Okkervil River.
Good.
matangrouper
When the boring monotone vocals are the main reason I really can't get into The National, I should not have expected anything from this. This has no reason to exist, it's just pure nothingness

Dorian Electra - My Agenda