Tennis - Swimmer
Swimmer
JacksonLerner
this came out on Valentine’s Day. it’s tennis’ most consistent album, and best music

production is even better than previously with patrick carney; it’s more intimate
PatrickL0419
Finally I can hear whatever the hell the Cocteau Twins are saying!
Aoaystheory
Welp, Happy Valentines Day Everybody!

Looking for a good Valentines Day record for your night? Tennis is the right choice and chances are they dropped it today on purpose (they've quite literally done it before). This baby is a lush, smooth record. It's nostalgic as a midnight drive with friends. Sneaking outside with your friends to sneak a puff of a cigarette. It's romantic. Swimmer is a late night dip in the pool. A silent smile to yourself when you're in the moment. It's nighttime. ... read more
Tsareena
Gorgeous album from Tennis. On the surface, it's a collection of 9 lovely tracks with warm production/ melodies but the writing is a lot different from previous work. With heavier themes of death and religious metaphors, there's a darkness to the album that makes their love songs feel a lot more grounded as they're getting older together and dealing with health scares and the loss of family members. Definitely my favorite album from the duo. They just keep getting better.

Faves: Need Your ... read more
The Tennis Duo did not just go through the trials, they braved them and came out of them much stronger. Before Swimmer I didn't find this band very interesting, it was good and rather fun, but apart from the hit singles and 2/3 songs here and there, Tennis didn't catch my attention because it was drowned out by the mass of indie pop bands that did similar things every year.

Paradoxically, life almost systematically forces you to go through difficult moments, through sorrows and questioning in ... read more
TeenageDream
An enjoyable and easy to digest pop album. The perfect album for it's release date: a lonely Valentine's day... when she said "πŸ’•πŸ₯Ί♥️πŸ₯ΊπŸ’›πŸ₯ΊuwuπŸ’–πŸ₯ΊπŸ’žπŸ₯ΊπŸ’˜πŸ₯ΊπŸ’ŒπŸ₯Ίβ£" I felt that
Delicious album, I could hear these songs all day and night and never get tired of it.
FleetwoodGrips
Out of all the albums that came out on the 14th, this has to be my favorite this far. It really is a lovely collection of love songs over some of the most rich and flavorful indie pop I've heard in a while.

Alaina and Patrick's songwriting spills out on this album better than it ever has. The love-filled songs on this album are written as though they come from a place of true endurance and life experience. These song are reflective of a love that has been through the trenches, and it's so ... read more
dumbmoonlight
With Marie Fredriksson's passing last year, my heart grieved for Roxette's future. While my passion for pop music never ceased, I knew of the struggles to find another duo with the same nostalgic vibe they had. Tennis *giggles* may sound and look odd, but honestly? They have my attention.

Tennis's "Swimmer" is a solid release from the husband-and-wife team. While my old valentine didn't have that addition to their productions, the duo manages to create a boomer-proof album with the ... read more
Even if I don't see myself coming back to it, "Swimmer" is a romantic pop record with sweet lyrics and catchy melodies. It makes it perfect for this lovely Valentine's Day (belated for this review)!

Fav Tracks: Runner, Need Your Love, Swimmer, How to Forgive, Tender as a Tomb

Least Fav Track: I'll Haunt You

Score:
8.3
Great
NarrativeCoffee
With a delicate charm and tantalizing cuisine of simple and melancholic delights, Tennis produced an ode to love and small things, in one of the loneliest days for some, with their latest release "Swimmer".
ChaseSab
Fuck yeah!! These singles had my hopes very high and the album didn’t disappoint. Swimmer might be my most streamed song of the year so far, it’s just so addicting. Lovely album. So many of these songs feel like they have the soul of a Beach House song. There’s some really deep feelings under the pristine surface. Gonna stay lost in Swimmer for as long as I can.
abductee
A collection of pretty great, nostalgic and sickly sweet indie pop songs. It might be a schtick but they pull it off pretty effortlessly.
wless
this has done nothing but grow on me.

original score: 87
original review:
i really like this. it's so warm and dreamy and easy to listen to, and most of the performances on it are beautifully done. "need your love," "how to forgive," "runner," and "swimmer" are all highlights to this spectacular album.
Midline
WOW RUNNER CURED MY HEART DISEASE!!! SO CRAZY!! SO COOL!
gopxity
I'm mad that I didn't check this out sooner. I love this record. It reminds me a bit of the Cocteau Twins, which may be part of the reason I like it so much. Every track is strong on here.

Favorite tracks: I'll Haunt You, Matrimony II, Runner, Echoes, Late Night
Least favorite: -
applechannel
Not my favourite Tennis album, maybe second to Yours Conditionally, but perhaps their most in-tune pop album to date. Up high on my favourite albums of 2020 so far, bit I am a sucker for happy-go-lucky indie pop.

Something about Alaina's vocals are reminiscent of both the 90's and the 70's, with the aesthetic of this duo being similar to The Cranberries and almost ABBA with dreamy, folk-inspired vocals with lighthearted and happy-go-lucky love song lyrics paired with simple electric guitar led ... read more
nug
Even though this project is meant to have sad subject matter, Tennis denies that it is a "sad" album. For me, this record is soaked in melancholy, regardless of what the duo says. Every time I spin this record, I feel my heartstrings get pulled in different ways, ways that hurt. I come back, though, appreciating every nook and cranny of this album more and more on each listen.

It's simply a phenomenal album.
currentjoyys
FAVORITE TRACK: Late Night

LEAST FAVORITE TRACK: Echoes

I've been on a complete animal crossing lockdown so I haven't been writing anything but I have been listening to some stuff I missed!! This album is so pretty and relaxing and has the perfect vocals for a pretty tame indie album. But just because it's tame doesn't mean it's not intricate, as the song Late Night has such fantastic instrumentals and they meld with the singing so well it just is the perfect song of calm indie music.
21stcenturyschi
Tennis is an American indie pop duo, made up of Alaina Moore and Patrick Riley, who formed in 2010, and released their debut album, Cape Dory a year later. They are known for their vintage pop sound and aesthetic, which they have been getting a ton of praise for. Despite the acclaim, I have yet to listen to an ounce of this group's music, but with a new album out in 2020, I guess this gives me an excuse to listen to it. After multiple listens of Swimmer, however, I sadly can't really figure out ... read more
JayCrackers
A sweet little indie pop record which is a perfect listen to when you are just chilling on your sofa whilst Alaina Moore vocals left you drift off into soft melodies and lets you float off and really enjoy this album.

Track Review

Late Night 7.5/10
Matrimony II 8/10

Average: 7.7/10
WittyMiki
Fun indie pop sounds, tastes like some not so cheap milk chocolate
sanfordfriedman
Ahhhh this is one of those times where I wished I rated on a 100-point scale, because this is too good for a 7 but not good enough for an 8, it's really going to annoy me!

Anyways, this is some brilliant indie pop; the album is just long enough, it's cohesive, well-written, has witty lyrics, and has a variety of instrumental choices across its 9 tracks while still keeping a constant central sound and theme! Most likely, my opinion of this album will only go up from here as I uncover its ... read more
Covinish
Obsessed with this album! It's a nostalgic trip that lasts until the very last second. (My favorite of 2020 so far)
Tielur
Extroadinary pop record which can easily be enjoyed with a mimosa by the ocean on a cool evening in Santa Monica.

Gorillaz - Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez