Selena Gomez - Rare
Critic Score
Based on 10 reviews
2020 Ratings: #547 / 684
User Score
2020 Ratings: #1024
Liked by 17 people
January 10, 2020 / Release Date
LP / Format
Interscope / Label
Suggest a Genre
Add
Abuse of this feature may prevent future contributions from your account.
selenagomez.com / Website
Tags
Sign In to rate and review

CRITIC REVIEWS

83
Entertainment Weekly

For all its heavy messaging, lightness actually feels like the album’s hallmark: an anti-weighted blanket of breathy vocals and zero-gravity synths that consistently float above pop’s sonic slipstream.

80
AllMusic

Rare proves that when she has strong songs and the producers get a little weird, she's just enough outside the mainstream to sound fresh.

80
Rolling Stone

Gomez re-enters public life with grace and clarity, two very rare finds indeed.

80
musicOMH

Rare is an album about liberation and finding your own path and Gomez sounds more confident and bold than she ever has.

70
Paste

Gomez is a force, an artist who continues to fight her bad odds, and is finally letting us get a little closer to the battle.

68
Pitchfork

Selena Gomez’s third album is a smooth and confident pop record that delves deep—but not that deep—into heartbreak, resilience, and self-love.

67
Consequence of Sound

Gomez’s return is filled with some great pop music, but falls short of what we suspect she’s capable of.

60
The Independent

There is a lot to like about Rare. But it never quite gets out from beneath the shadow of half a decade of behemothic bangers.

60
NME

Blips aside, ‘Rare’ is a beautifully confident return from one of pop’s most underrated stars, and a quietly defiant wrestling back of the narrative surrounding her.

60
Slant Magazine

Despite glimmers of authenticity throughout the album, it’s hard to discern who Gomez is, musically or otherwise.

ColinAndrews
28
God, I hope this doesn't get lost in the absolutely massive sea of bots.

What an absolute hypocritical trash can. Listen, I'm aware that Selena has gone through an incredibly difficult time, and I definitely feel for that. Plus, she seems like a genuinely sweet and down to earth person in interviews. But god, this album makes zero sense. 75% of the tracks are her talking about how she's not going to let anyone walk all over her and learn from her mistakes. And then, the other 25% is her ... read more
FlavioAKARayman
64
It's not bad, but sure it could have been a lot better. Lose You To Love me should have been the closing track and A Sweeter Place the opening one. Other than that, the first half is considerably more consistent and entertaining compared to the second half. Lyrically it's not out of this world but it's her most personal album to date
KIDWITHGUNs
70
GREAT!

I only came for Cudi... but then I realized the rest of the record is pretty heat!

Selena Gomez, for those who are living under a rock... used to be your everyday teenage witch and had gone by "Alex Russo". She lived happily with her two parents and her siblings, and they would often catch up on mischief and go on wacky adventures all the time.

Until one day Disney decided that they should go ahead and have their own full-length film called "Wizards of Waverly Place ... read more
hiphopcritiques
73
Was NOT Expecting This.

This album is GOOD. Going into this I was expecting it to be better than usual Selena but not THIS much better. Almost EVERY song on here is a bop besides a couple tracks. This is the definition of what a call FUN pop music. Let me tell y'all about RING. If you are a dude and want to feel like a bad bitch. That song is for you. And the outro track with Cudi. JESUS it's so soothing and SO good. Selena really showed that she isn't just a generic pop artist on this record. ... read more
TommyCook
41
Edit: I originally gave this a 0 to troll the 250+ bots that rated this album and...it worked. Anyways...

So I actually listened to this album. I’d fuck with about 3 songs on here. Some of the beats are sweet but there are a couple that are pretty grimy and bombastic. There’s only one truly terrible song on the album, Look at Her Now. Other than that, this album is anything but rare. This sound isn’t fresh anymore, which isn’t a bad thing, except I have heard a ... read more
Purchasing Rare from Amazon helps support Album of the Year. Or consider a donation?
Become a Donor
Donor badge, no ads + more benefits.
Advertisement

Track List

  1. Rare
  2. Dance Again
  3. Look At Her Now
  4. Lose You to Love Me
  5. Ring
  6. Vulnerable
  7. People You Know
  8. Let Me Get Me
  9. Crowded Room (feat. 6LACK)
  10. Kinda Crazy
  11. Fun
  12. Cut You Off
  13. A Sweeter Place (feat. Kid Cudi)
Sign in to comment
5mo
9mo
9mo
9mo
9mo
Advertisement


Added on: November 21, 2019