Destroyer - Kaputt
Kaputt
Amazing

This could be a perfect album. I guess..
If I actually cared about some of the themes in discussion here. But that's probably my only nitpick.

I think the palette is grand and sumptuous. There's variety in the instrumentals, and the dry vocals add a palpable atmosphere to each track, making this quite the attentive listen. It may not have much tension, but it doesn't need any. It's great just the way it is.

Best: Chinatown, Blue Eyes, Savage Night At The Opera, Suicide Demo For Kara ... read more
okcomputer12127
I did not get it.

Were you guys on something when you listened to this?

Maybe that's why.
Great

Thanks thomasny18 for the recommendation!!

I tried listening to this record a couple times before, but during those instances, I had always stopped listening because I felt that they weren't the right times. It just didn't feel right. I finally got to the album today after a busy week, and I'm glad I did.

With its conscious lyrics and beautiful production, this album is thought-provoking and mind-usurping. I don't know if I'll be returning to it as a whole, but I'm definitely gonna ... read more
DEEPSLEEP
for fucks sake this came out in 2011, where was i?
thomasny18
I've been listening to this album several times to be sure if this deserves the perfect score, and yeah, it does. That is undeniable. Listening to this has helped me a lot mentally when dealing with anxiety, so that's pretty cool.

I think that with a few of the albums I love, they can't be reccomended to everyone. Like, most of my friends absolutely hate Death Grips and also don't have the time for Godspeed You! Black Emperor. This though, I think everyone should give this a listen and will ... read more
Space Vacation
Just listened to this for the first time.
About to go out and longboard at 2AM and listen to this again. ^_^
Not much to say for first impressions other than maybe, "Wow" or "Holy shit"...
Rating tomorrow!
(Ginormous thank you to @thomasny18 for not only recommending this but for having a nice conversation with me today!)
Atrocityblubber
Chill vibes
YungNoodle
gorgeous

EDIT: don't know what i was thinking by giving this a 10/10, still an amazing record nonetheless
notbuzzzila
PHENOMENAL

Happy birthday, @thomasny18!

Kaputt is one of those albums where music speaks louder than words. I know that's very cliche to say, but I don't really know how to explain why I love it so much. It all lies in how well-composed the music itself is. Every detail seemed so on point and fitting, whether it be a single trumpet note or the strumming of a guitar. It also helps that the vocalist has a really nice voice. I don't know, I just really like it. Backup singers are great too.

I ... read more
This album took a long while to grow on me (over a year? At least) but now I consider it my second favourite of all time.

So many times you hear people claim an album is 'atmospheric', 'transportive', 'magical', 'its own world'...this is one of the few albums that truly lives up to such billing.
scott96k
Late to the party, but wow what an album.
In a string of more than impressive art-pop albums I've been checking out this week, this certainly ranks among some of the greatest of the greats.

I started this a few times in the past, and much like others (such as TreyLikesBands), I just didn't feel like I was ready for this type of album. This week just happened to be a place where I was ready for some really artful, playful pop music and this fit the bill a little too neatly.

Kaputt has such an old feel to it, yet continues to push ... read more
amygoodall
grossly underestimated
ryansliao
A remarkably polished, nuanced, and all around pleasant album. Kaputt manages to be just as memorable as it is accessible, which is quite a tough line to walk. I love all the saxophone and trumpet accents throughout the album. The instrumentals are simply unparalleled. One of the defining indie pop albums of the decade.

Best Tracks: Chinatown, Blue Eyes, Suicide Demo for Kara Walker, Kaputt, Downtown, Song for America
Worst Tracks: Savage Night at the Opera
Lovdahl
An absolute neo-soul treat, Kaputt delivers some of the most soothing, funky, and romantic tracks of the decade. Endlessly enjoyable; meant for night driving.

Favorite Tracks: Kaputt, Blue Eyes, Chinatown, Bay of Pigs, Song For America
cwmDJ
chilled out ramblings, excellent stuff
Dan Bejar undeniably makes a grand statement with this effort and features some of his finest songs (Blue Eyes, Suicide Demo for Kara Walker, Savage Night at the Opera, Bay of Pigs) that at turns becomes incisive and atmospheric. Now, if only you would come back for a new record real soon.
TheBravesDH
You knew Dan was going to do it sooner or later. Absolutely stunning in every aspect. Possibly top 10 album of the decade. MVP sax.
MinatoArisato
Absolutely incredible and mind blowing. Kaputt is an album that really can't be described with ease. It's a record that draws a lot from classic avant-garde rock artists like David Bowie particularly in the way vocalist Dan Bejar delivers his lyrics with this suave sort of demeanor that really adds to all the flourishes withing the writing itself. The sound of it takes pop and rock and infuses it with ambient and jazz, this may sound like a disaster of a combination but it really does hit you ... read more
Sappy
Top Favorite: Bay Of Pigs (Detail)
Other Favorites: Chinatown, Kaputt, Suicide Demo For Kara Walker
Least Favorite: Downtown
Tom Simmons
Fav Tracks: Kaputt, Chinatown, Suiicide Demo For Kara Walker, Savage Night At The Opera, Poor In Love, Song For America
Fabi
what an album... simply beautiful atmosphere. i see myself coming back to this album at least once every 2 weeks.
rosevean
#1 Chinatown
#3 Savage Night at the Opera
#4 Suicide Demo for Kara Walker
#6 Kaputt
#9 Bay of Pigs (Detail)
NewDawnFadez
While not entirely ditching folk music, Dan Bejar and gang have a larger focus on jazz and new wave incorporation on Kaputt. It all comes together for one of the most poetic and cohesive albums of 2011, and a must listen for any music fan!

Best tracks: Chinatown, Blue Eyes, Kaputt, Bay of Pigs, Suicide demo for Kara Walker, Savage Night at the Opera
Least favorite: Downtown if you’re really gonna force me to choose one.
I’ve tried really hard to like “Kaputt.” Given its exorbitant user score it clearly means a lot to a lot of people, and I have to respect Destroyer for that. It’s obvious that “Kaputt” is an intricate, expertly arranged album—but I’m surprised that the smooth, soft jazz-rock, aggressively early 80s vibe appeals to so many people. It strikes me as corny, and the constant sax solos don’t help. I’m also suspecting that Dan Bejar’s ... read more
madeeineem
Captivating melodies, mesmerising atmosphere. I return to this often.
Hypnoglitz
One of the best writers making music today.
CheapandLethal
Better stuff out there
mxruss
My score for this album increases with each listen. Dan Bejar shows his sophistication and talent on this record, and it's one of my favorite records of the decade.
Felindie
Fav Tracks: Downtown, Chinatown , Blue Eyes
chessmess
I still do not think this tops Destroyer's Rubies in any aspect. What I am sure of, however, is that Destroyer is an amazingly well rounded artist. This album hits everything right from the production to the lyrics and the atmosphere.

Favorite track: Suicide Demo For Kara Walker
unknownpleasure
I can listen to this all day

Edit: Bumped it up a few points, one of my favorite albums right now.
lerkenfeldt
You want it to keep playing, and then when it does end, you want to play it again. One of my favorite albums from the last decade.
amazing album!!! i love the combination of jazz and indie rock.
chilled out rambling, horrible stuff

Car Seat Headrest - Commit Yourself Completely