Katie Gately - Loom
As the title suggests, something truly seems to be looming over you as you experience this collage of glitchy and harrowing sounds. Katie Gately crafts a centerpiece of suffering across Loom, as the echoed and whispered vocals wash over you along with the intense and gloomy sonic background. Tracks like Allay will haunt with their massive sound while tracks like Waltz will have a similar effect while shifting the pace to (you guessed it) a 3/4 time signature. Regardless of pace, the theme of ... read more
Terrifying, Loom is one of this week's must-have releases, as it delivers immeasurable emotion. In addition to being a musically marvellous work of pop art (reminiscent of the Magdalene I was so fond of last year), with stratospheric orchestration combined with particularly meticulous electronic music, Katie Gately's indomitable voice stages her own life, expressing her painful feelings and especially this cruel situation of the tragic loss of her mother.

Both the construction of the album ... read more
LZGray
oh FUCK I should not have listened to this at 3AM
kapsberger
Very personal work. Gately expertly builds electronic texture and vocal experimentation. Every track can evokes a different atmosphere, in a dramatic way.

Charismatic.
their_nickname
What an interesting listen. The album is certainly off-putting, as its inspiration is her mother's illness that should come as no surprise. It's haunting electronica is heavily uncompromising, shifting from haunting drone to eastern block vamp like on the song Waltz. The sonics at time clamber and creak like the hinges and floorboards of some long deserted house the local children speak about in hushed tones. You can almost imagine this being recorded in said house. Her voice can range from ... read more
wanderingstar
An oppressive, dark and creepy album that gave me shivers. Released earlier this year, it's not quite at the level I would consider a contender for AOTY. However, it's quite an impressive listen. I especially like the way Katie uses ghost-Katies as a spectral choir to enhance the creepy atmosphere. There's also a definite pulling from her personal experiences present here. Gately lost her mother, and it bleeds through into this album's soul; mournful, almost. Sonically it's very creative, using ... read more
KevinPopSlut69
A very interesting selection of songs which sound very unique and genuinely her.

Ritual 82/100
Allay 84/100
Waltz 100/100
Bracer 93/100
Rite 63/100
Tower 86/100
Flow 89/100
Rest 74/100

Average: 83.875 = 84/100.
bxlinmxreno
great ~ i don't feel very comfortable giving this a long review considering the circumstances around it's creation. but i will say that the atmosphere that this album creates will definitely not be for everyone, but i thought it was very beautifully done.

best songs: ritual, allay, waltz, bracer, flow
worst song: rite
oneohtwigs
I don't know how to put in words the experience that this album is. The emotion cracks through the walls. It's spacious and demolishing.
It's just beautiful when the music takes its time to create an atmosphere. thanks, i guess.
Frippotronic
Just like Julia Holter's Aviary this is completely my jam. Vocal soundscapes building up on several samples to the point of overtaking exhaustion or metaphysical exultation. Feminine, chopped up Koyaanisqatsi on a bedroom scale. Waltz tristesse, without a partner nor end.
DareG
From the haunting atmospherics, ethereal voice, and ability to evoke moods this is an amazingly engaging album.

Standouts: the whole album, but especially Ritual, Allay, Waltz, Tower, and Flow

Dropouts; Bracer
JCoelho88
Unsettling work! It keeps you on edge and interested throughout the whole thing.

Reminds me a lot of one of my favorite albums from last year, Holly Herndon's Proto.
EiDouVarg
With an appropriate title, 'Loom' is as grim and nocturnal as your typical neoclassical darkwave album. Unfortunately, the songs on this record don't create anything greater than the sum of their parts.
Valeyard
Mysterious. Takes you to a different place. The production on this album is incredible
pizzagrande
big sounds very epic
Porza9
Me gustó mucho, hay algunas canciones que sí las sentí un poco aburridas pero en su mayoría me encantaron (en especial la de diez minutos, y la segunda mitad del disco). No tiene muchas canciones, no hay nada de relleno y no creo que nada sobre. El apoyo es mayoritariamente en lo instrumental, cosa que les sale re bien y, por supuesto, tiene un sonido re épico que me dejó encantado jajaaj
CheapandLethal
Great
kingian300
Loom is a very appropriate name for this ominous album comprised of shrill yet calming synths.
Patryk_Szumilo

06. Tower - 9.0
07. Flow - 7.5
08. Rest - 7.0
KingLukas
Certainly a very interesting album, very unique, pretty much generally horrifying. It's intense and atmospheric but I never want to listen to it again.
Fav Tracks: Ritual;
NTTR
Genre: Art Pop
Origin: US

Final Verdict: 57% (Pleasant Album)
Yearly ranking: 105th / 188

Highlight: Flow

Made me think of:
Braids
Cindy Lee
mbart2
A very dramatic record but never really reaches the emotional heights I was expecting. Loom is a very apt title for the record as there is a ubiquitous feeling of oppression throughout the record as tension is gradually built, becoming a heavier weight on the listeners shoulder before breaking out. Having said that, the album’s key characteristic is its stark emptiness, and the cover a good representation of this sound. But it is hardly emotionally devastating. It sounds more like ... read more
JayCrackers
This album is 41 minutes of pure atmosphere which had me on the edge of my seat for every second which does just loom over you. It actually feels like I am in the album cover and something dark is watching me, looming over me and i have to just praise this album for achieving that feeling. Definitely not something to listen to in the dark at 2am.

Track Review

Flow 8.5/10
Rest 8/10

Average: 8.3/10
Hendrix1967
Album molto interessante creato con suoni elettronici e registrazioni di suoni modificati al computer ottenendo musica altamente emotiva. La verità è che non so perchè il mio voto non è 100, forse perchè l'artista è riuscita a scaturire in me quel senso drammatico che lei stessa ha voluto mettere nel disco a causa della morte di sua madre. Ottimo lavoro, ottima ricerca!!!! Una scoperta per me davvero coinvolgente.

Gorillaz - Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez