Låpsley - Through Water
Through Water
After having served us appetizers with his EP These Elements released last December which gave us a nice glimpse, Lapsley delivered a final version which I must say is a real breath of fresh air as we are going through a difficult and anxious time.

Musically Through Water has absolutely nothing original, it's a mix of indielectronica and modern pop art and already explored, however it's a very charming and smooth atmospheric album that Lapsley and his producer team manage to make live quietly ... read more
VeniseZoomer
[NSR] [FOTA]

This is pretty good art pop music. I love her EP, and this feels like a proper extension of that release.

Added 21/3/2020:
[SR]
Compared with the first album, Fletcher has really matured as a songwriter. Tracks like "My Love Was Like The Rain" show that she could be an innovative and diverse song designer. The background electronic sounds were very well used and they blend with the soothing vocal perfectly.

This project is quite reminiscent of last year's Weyse Blood ... read more
Tallglassofwate
While there's hardly anything original to be found in Lapsley's forlorn dance pop, it does have moments of shimmering beauty and heartbreaking loneliness. In the Corona days, it's hard to not connect with distant, sad music like this.

'Our Love is a Garden' and 'Leeds Liverpool Canal' are actually pretty solid tracks. On the former, he sounds like an indietronica Mike Hadreas and the latter is a shimmering piece of instrumental beauty. The majority of the other tracks, however, were not ... read more
sleighbell
this album can be described as a beautiful mixture of different shades of blue. låpsley leads the listener from one soothing sound to another while each track tiptoes by, without really leaving a trace. these tracks aren’t so much as forgettable as they are hollow. the record has some gorgeous moments, like on the opening track’s slow burning addition of different sounds as låpsley’s voice introduces us to her deepest, darkest tone. my love was like the rain is ... read more
NothingToDoubt
La palabra más usada por la gente que suele hacer reviews se vuelve a hacer presente: INTROSPECTIVO.
Un álbum lleno de calma y belleza, va de acuerdo perfectamente con la portada, digerible gracias a su corta duración, siendo solo 10 tracks, pero son suficientes. coros profundamente sencillos pero la mayoría de las veces funcionan como mantras que acompañan a la idea general de la canción, la producción ambient pop sobresale y enaltece a la voz.
sanfordfriedman
This was a pleasant surprise for me!

Låpsley’s Through Water is a layered, mature, and thoughtful album that knows what it wants to say, and says it in a crisp, concise, 34-minute pop odyssey.

Also the songs are catchy and memorable.
guisg
A storm contained on a bottle of water. This album makes you travel far even without going nowhere. Our Love Is A Garden (Every day in my evergreen), Sadness Is A Shade Of Blue (And the future is a street lamp in a town not built yet and the past is you), Bonfire (metamorphosis is hard) and Ligne 3 (All the complex things you would say to smooth the edges) are highlights. But every each song is a connection to earth, the 4 elements and the 5 senses. A mix amongst Björk, Kate Bush and Fiona ... read more
holsgr
( ☆☆ ) — f l a w e d
JayCrackers
Lapsley second studio album is a solid art pop album which emphasize on a more ambient soft spoken sound. Even though for me it is not a great pop album such as The Night Chancers or color theory. I still welcome this album and i enjoyed it a lot just wish it had more substance for me to return to more.

Track Review

Leeds Liverpool Canal 6.5/10
Sadness is a Shade of Blue 7/10
Womxn ... read more
Tsareena
Really lovely follow up her ep from last year. Lapsley expands on the ep with amazing production and writing. Very personal writing on this and I just love how she uses water thematically through out the album to tie together her personal growth and feelings from the years since her debut album.
Faves: Our Love Is a Garden, Bonfire, Womxn
contemplative harmonious synthpop.
LZGray
Promising, but not quite there yet.
gabe5inko_music
So soothing. A nice lil art pop piece, with an added level of intricacy that will entrance the listener. The album art encapsulates this feeling well, as the overall vibe is just blue & watery (perhaps from all the references, though). Tranquility defined.
Edgeworth
With Låpsley teasing us with her EP last year, we're now diving (no pun intended) into her second album Through Water.
This is such a beautifully engineered album that can easily reflex your mind and mentality.
Overall, Through Water harnesses the depth of grace, darkness and reconciliation. Check this album out.
Xristoula
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Krolig
Альбом под стать своей обложке, такой-же глубокий, но без крутых поворотов. Есть неплохие мелодии и наверно только это и цепляет.
como sempre extremamente perspicaz em tudo que se propõe a fazer
Quand0