Johanna Warren - Chaotic Good

Chaotic Good

goodmornincaptn
On her 5th album, Portland, Oregon based singer-songwriter drags her folk songs in a dirtier, grungier sound, finding the perfect balance between enchanting melodies and not-so-latent rage to exorcize past relationships.
Quite telling and well worth watching is the music video she co-directed for the song "Twisted", in which Johanna Warren's love for 90s grunge fully blooms as she embodies both gender roles of a heartbroken cheerleader and a Cobain-looking guitar player.
One of the better acoustic indie folk projects of the year, “Chaotic Good” presents Johanna Warren as a singer-songwriter capable of an unusual blend of introspection, quirk, and power. The backbone of “Chaotic Good” are Warren’s intricate but subdued fingerpicked laments, and her pretty vocal tone and sweet delivery can easily mask the anguish underlying the entire record. In this sense specifically, the Elliott Smith comparisons she’s earning check out. ... read more
CheapandLethal
Worth a listen
mikdouble
old school vannesa carlton vibes in the BEST way
jangoj
thank you duncan trussell. midnight gospel got me into this lady.
trantit
Obsessed with Bed of Nails, surely is one of my favorite song from 2020. Mélodie douce et mélancolique. Âmes émotives, s'en abstenir ou s'y dorloter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was also impressed by how there's a lot of Hayley Williams vibes in some of her songs, quelque chose de similaire enfoui dans ses vibratos, legatos et dans le mordant de sa voix... Particulièrement dans Twisted.
pressrg
*Subject to change, I need to listen to this again; perhaps it will grow on me.
Quand0