Soberish

NO NUANCE REVIEW

I don’t know why this is the record you’d want to release after a decade of silence, but at least it’s better than “Funstyle”.

Phew.
Após mais de uma década sem lançar nenhum álbum, Liz Phair volta com um álbum bem melhor que seu antecessor, mas ainda decepcionante comparado com o que a artista já entregou no passado.

O disco tem uma produção medíocre e sem graça e uma sonoridade extremamente datada.

As únicas músicas que realmente gostei foram "Soul Sucker", que é uma boa e divertida musica pop rock e também gostei ... read more
Musicnerdd
The "not so big" comeback of liz phair

After 11 years of silence, liz phair, one of the most critically acclaimed artists from the 90's (and also one of my favorites from that era) comes back with a record including 13 new tracks. Although it's still so much better and definitely a good album compared to her previous record that was a complete disaster, but it's still a generic and kind of "ok" pop album that'd be forgotten very soon (unfortunately).
Favorite song: the game
Music_Nerds
Oooooof this is bad. First song is awkwardly repetitive and the second track is weirdly country while track three is musically alright but the lyrics are complete cringe. Track four goes for modern and this is ok and the only song so far that sounds like it suits The Liz Phair persona. ‘Good Side’ feels like simp-pop that again is ok and acoustic ‘Sheridan Road’ works for Liz.

Overall could not get into this one.
TheCarioca
Not bad.
currentjoyys
FAVORITE TRACK: Spanish Doors

LEAST FAVORITE TRACK: Hey Lou

In 2003, Liz Phair released her big pop rock single "Why Can't I?". It was her big mainstream hit but before that, Phair was a prominent performer in the women-led rock scene in the 90s. In 2010, she went silent with new releases. After 11 years of silence, Phair is back with 13 new tracks.The difference in her sound was prominent between her releases in 1993 and 2003, so it would be interesting to hear what a difference of ... read more
chuckbush
Liz Phair conseguiu reencontrar com Soberish a personalidade espontânea e crua dos seus primeiros álbuns, em nenhum momento a artista se aproxima da qualidade atingida no Exile In Guyville, mas demonstra excelência em diversos momentos das treze faixas.
NTTR

Genre: Pop Rock
Country: US

Final Verdict: 59% (Pleasant Album)
Yearly Ranking: 312th / 521

Highlight: Spanish Doors

Made me think of:
Kelsea Ballerini
Jenny Lewis
Wolf Alice
jxshmccabe
there was an attempt made and i appreciate that. this is terrible though.
The first in 11 years Liz Phair album is a nice indie pop rock. It is surely not the uncompromising gril from Exile in Guyville and noone really expect that. It is just a very safe, but also solid music.

ThatOtherGuy
Her lyricism may not have rusted, this is a quite solid comeback album, but there could've been a bit more effort. And not just on Liz' part. Not exactly an ideal starting point for anyone wanting to get into her music.
tomneedsaglass
In terms of Liz Phair, I've only ever heard this new record and "Funstyle," and honestly I kinda like both, but as I ventured through this record I had to wonder...do we need Liz Phair in 2021? As I understand it a lot of people are fond of and protective of Liz Phair, and I get it. She was screwed over by a lot of people and reportedly didn't deserve it. But I don't know, something about Liz Phair using gen Z slang (if that's what you want to call it) as a fifty-four year old woman ... read more
Ra1995
Liz Phair is officially back! Finally! :-) Her vocals are on point, extraordinary at times. However, certain songs on this new album tend to "suffer" (some more than others) in the editing & mixing departments, i.e. Spanish Doors, Dosage... Sensed some auto-tune segments here and there, which prove to be not only useless, but seem to diminish this album's quality. That's such a pity!
Didn't enjoy "The Game", which has such a common sound to it, or the ... read more
Spectrum_Pulse
Hey kids, want to have Liz Phair discourse in 2021?

Because honestly, I don’t - Exile In Guyville is a transgressive and forward-thinking 90s classic … but it was a breakthrough where she could never quite recapture the biting, jagged magic again, mostly an issue of the writing being emulated to the point of cliche but also because the album feels very timelocked to that specific, acrid moment of early 90s feminist indie rock and punk. The problem with her 2000s output and pop ... read more
lrz_vargas
That was a really boring listening. A few songs have some nice ideas, but not enough to make the album any more interesting. The production in it is a bit weird and the tracks don't seem to fit each other really well.
Mohamedmahmoud
Pop Rock
June 4, 2021

Despite cringe, vocal production is killer.

5/10

Favourite tracks :
Hey Lou
In There
Soberish
Tytyeazy
“There’s so many ways to fuck up a life. I try to be original.” Well, Liz Phair delivers an album in a way only Liz Phair could. “Soberish” doesn’t lack in the originality department (listen to “Bad Kitty” if you don’t believe me). It’s on brand and continues a discography of cheeky lyrics and feel good quirky vibes.
goops
liz phair continues to deliver in her shitty album cover streak

Backxwash - I Lie Here Buried With My Rings and My Dresses