The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?
Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?
At times meditative, at others gloriously technicolor - this music switches between house/microhouse rhythms, nu jazz flavours and passages close to minimalist post-classical.
thejacktackshac
I tend to be somewhat picky with my choice of ambient music; I usually gravitate toward the more experimental side of the genre, typically consisting of some Tim Hecker, and a dash of the early cluster. Other than that, I don't usually listen to some of the more straightforwardly relaxing material that Brian Eno invented or the dreamy, pillowy material of say, a Harold Budd. While I am not against that music, I don't find myself returning to it for several reasons. Mostly because of the more ... read more
laz456
Heyyyy good rec from Pitchfork. This is some pleasant, soothing house/jazz/electronic/ambient/whatever. Really tasteful record, nicely produced with a great flow from front to back. Could listen all day.
goderichovzins
The answer is Romans 6:2: "By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"
Lots of love.
Malneezy
This was a great beautiful piece and I love how they each flow into each other. A soothing and calming listen for me.
thecovid19
In Shall We Go On Sininng So That Grace May Increase? Daniel turns to ambient music and its classic, house-tinged classical orbit to reflect on his quest to find the intimax harmony, after the most monstrous conflagration for a certain American Democratic sector (better known as the defeat of Hillary Clinton). In other words, it is a production, necessary and attractive, for protectionist purposes, something like 'everything will be fine'.
AlienTing
the more i listen to it, the more i love it. especially the second half
Crx
One half of the brilliant and endlessly creative electronic duo Matmos returns with a nice little ambient record.
JayCrackers
The Soft Pink Truth or as most people will know him as Drew Daniel who is a member of Matmos and therefore has a done a lot of work with Bjork but he comes out with a solo project, Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase which has all the track list embodied in the album title and the album itself is an ambient techno which draws from various of electronic styles such as microhouse, minimalism, techno (Obviously) nd even some plunderphonics on the some of the tracks,

I will say this ... read more
sadtiremag
Lush and groovy. What else could a boy want?
Caffro
Ever say to yourself "Damn, I needed an album like this" while listening to a new LP? That's what I thought listening to this.

It's meditative, groovy, explorative - a musical cocktail of beautiful soundscapes, chaotic repetition and driving percussion.

"We", for example, sounds like Four Fet and DJ Koze got real freaky in lockdown. The repetious brilliance of "Sinning" sounds like Philip Glass on acid. "So", Basinski with time restraints.

The sound ... read more
LZGray
There are some truly excellent ideas here. Some of the best ideas on any project this year. I love the ambition in its simplicity, yet the textures, compositions, and structures just wear so thin after only a short time each song. I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for whatever Drew is involved with in the future (hopefully a new Matmos project sooner rather than later), because if they could make something with a bit more form and purpose then I'm in.
TeodoreMcgee
GTA V was free on Epic Games, and I never finished the Story Mode, because I never had the game, so I am finishing the game, and then I will be back.

Oh about this album? Yes is cool, have some pretty good moments, I think Drew Daniel from Matmos did a really good job on this one. I loved the way that he used vocals, the energy and atmosphere of the album is pretty cool as well, but I think it's quite one-dimensional and repetitive, and it' could be more imersive, but still it's a cool ... read more
fractoledo
At times ambient, at times soft techno, at times spoken word, bit of jazz, bit of house, bit experimental. quite a journey. Didnt roll me over but nice. liked it.
Backdrifter
Drew Daniel offers his most ambitious and gorgrous solo effort to date.
MagnetoJenkins
Don't know jack about this band. Apparently it's just one half of Matmos?
Anyways...a pleasant listen with plenty of experimentation. That's a difficult tightrope to walk.
Nibblerino_
not my type of ambient music, too fidgety and unsteady, especially the first half, 2nd is pretty decent actually
2SentenceReview
Drew Daniel turns his nihilistic energy into calming and creative music on Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase to a great result. The second half of the album is a very relaxing and satisfying listen.
thomastornes
I honestly thought this album was pretty boring, and I've only listened to it once. I know it's bad to review an album after listening to it only once, but I really can't find any ambition to re-listen to this thing. There's good moments, like the song Sinning, that's definitely a standout track, but after a while it gets really repetitive. I'll try to re-listen to it again and see if my opinion changes, but for now, it's a no from me, dawg. This is of course, my opinion.
louisomahoney
A good concept but this album was incredibly boring.
I litterally purposely hurt myself to stop my boredom.
I punched the wall to stop myself from dying of boredom.
Son of a bitch.
NTTR
Genre: Ambient
Country: US

Final Verdict: 56% (Pleasant Album)
Yearly Ranking: 268th / 412

Nicolas Jaar
Caribou
Boards of Canada
nk21pro
Without any highlights in particular, this album is a very very pleasing experience as a whole!
vincentbiz
As a concept, this was dope.
RobiBerg
This a beautiful album with a lot of relaxing watery synths. I liked a lot of the electronic elements in this album to and it really sounds like it have a lot of different genres in it. Some songs have a lot more electronic sound and other more jazz and I think that is cool. While I think most of the album is good, some songs is not for me and is a little bit boring to listen to. While that is said I think this is a decent album that people will find relaxing.

The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form