The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?
Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?
At times meditative, at others gloriously technicolor - this music switches between house/microhouse rhythms, nu jazz flavours and passages close to minimalist post-classical.
This has been a great year for electronic music, I loved this album and was pretty surprised on how beautiful and meditative this was, check it out if you have time it’s really pretty
laz456
Heyyyy good rec from Pitchfork. This is some pleasant, soothing house/jazz/electronic/ambient/whatever. Really tasteful record, nicely produced with a great flow from front to back. Could listen all day.
goderichovzins
The answer is Romans 6:2: "By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"
nicoperagine
I am too much of a stickler when it comes to ambient music but what are y'all getting out of this that I am not, it's kinda boring? This is Arca if she wasn't experimental, ya know, the thing that makes Arca interesting. It's really repetitive and has rare moments of tension or climax. It's not bad but I doubt I'd choose to listen to this again.

Color: Dark Teal
Favorite Tracks: Shall, Sinning, So, Grace
Worst Tracks: None?
Melancoholic
Average.
Caffro
Ever say to yourself "Damn, I needed an album like this" while listening to a new LP? That's what I thought listening to this.

It's meditative, groovy, explorative - a musical cocktail of beautiful soundscapes, chaotic repetition and driving percussion.

"We", for example, sounds like Four Fet and DJ Koze got real freaky in lockdown. The repetious brilliance of "Sinning" sounds like Philip Glass on acid. "So", Basinski with time restraints.

The sound ... read more
thecovid19
In Shall We Go On Sininng So That Grace May Increase? Daniel turns to ambient music and its classic, house-tinged classical orbit to reflect on his quest to find the intimax harmony, after the most monstrous conflagration for a certain American Democratic sector (better known as the defeat of Hillary Clinton). In other words, it is a production, necessary and attractive, for protectionist purposes, something like 'everything will be fine'.
DareG
At times soothing and other eerie or jarring, Shall We Go On Sinning... is creative and eclectic but it does get a bit repetitive as it goes on.

Standouts: Shall, We

Dropouts: none
SwagMaster73
Revelation 7:1-17
After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow on earth or sea or against any tree. Then I saw another angel ascending from the rising of the sun, with the seal of the living God, and he called with a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm earth and sea, saying, “Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, until we have sealed the servants of our God on ... read more
Barelydead
The most irritating ambient album that i listened this year.
megamanq
Quite possibly a hot take, but this is my AOTY. Although not a very distinctive piece of ambient music, this record is a chameleon of emotions and feelings that guide you through the songs very smoothly. The flow between them are just magnificent.

Probably what I like the most about this record: Every single time I listen to it, it means something different, it's not a record, but rather an experience that I want to live and relive so much. I caught myself revisiting this album more times than ... read more
jeetygt
For the most part, this near-seamless linear piece that notably dabbles in new age in one track and ambient techno on the next doesn't wow me from the first four tracks. The more rhythmic tracks kind of don't meld all that well together with the choral chanting of the first track, but on and after "Sinning" it largely delivers on a pretty enchanting and glorious meld of its sound, one that's easy to sink your legs into just as much as you may want to draw them out.
JayCrackers
The Soft Pink Truth or as most people will know him as Drew Daniel who is a member of Matmos and therefore has a done a lot of work with Bjork but he comes out with a solo project, Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase which has all the track list embodied in the album title and the album itself is an ambient techno which draws from various of electronic styles such as microhouse, minimalism, techno (Obviously) nd even some plunderphonics on the some of the tracks,

I will say this ... read more
sadtiremag
Lush and groovy. What else could a boy want?
AlienTing
the more i listen to it, the more i love it. especially the second half
LZGray
There are some truly excellent ideas here. Some of the best ideas on any project this year. I love the ambition in its simplicity, yet the textures, compositions, and structures just wear so thin after only a short time each song. I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for whatever Drew is involved with in the future (hopefully a new Matmos project sooner rather than later), because if they could make something with a bit more form and purpose then I'm in.
Malneezy
This was a great beautiful piece and I love how they each flow into each other. A soothing and calming listen for me.
TopTier
This might be my favourite ambient record of 2020. The brave instrumental choices such as using heavy bass, bells and many other things that seem out of this world put this record on a pedestal that i will judge the rest of this decades ambient music to. Absolutely loved it.
Love the dynamism on display here by Daniel, the result is quite the dadtronica headphone voyage.
Great ambient music for thinking
WolvesAreComing
Tender, subtle, nourishing. An ambient album that you can chew on, this isn't 12 minute long tape hiss structureless non-music like some other examples of the genre. Fans of Aphex Twin will find a lot to love, this is SAW II but with an editor that doesn't want to drive the audience insane or give them a bad trip. The way the tracks flow is subtle and graceful, no abrasive sounds will pull you from the deep hypnotic state it evokes. This album shines with an effortless beauty.
abductee
Really did not enjoy this for whatever reason. I respond very, very well to ambient music when it feels like there's an underlying emotional core. This record felt like it was missing that. Pure experimentation, jamming, etc is fine enough. For an entire ambient project though... eh. I was really hoping for more.
Porza9
ESTE sí que es el tipo de ambient techno que me gusta, mucho. No me parece aburrido en ningún momento, capaz la primera mitad es un poco más pesada pero hacia el final todo mejora un montón y, si bien no es que pueda identificar cada canción como identidades separadas, me parece un discazo.
KingLukas
This is the perfect album to read to, I'm not sure if that's a compliment to it or not, but I enjoy it. Probably have more listens on it that a bunch of others due to this.

Bicep - Isles