Laura Marling - Song For Our Daughter
Song For Our Daughter
Without departing from the rule, Laura Marling offers us once again a new album which is characterized in the foreground by a particularly fabulous writing, supported by a warm voice and clear-sighted melodies, while the instrumentalization of folk/pop baroque chamber music is a little more discreet.

She has been delighting us with her music for more than 10 years now, with a succession of vibrant albums that all have their own peculiarities, ideas and varied themes, which has resulted in a ... read more
WildChameleon
Edit : here we go again, fantano gives 9, so the user score jump. Why don't you own a taste ? Or just ... understand the album ?

Another excellent addition in Laura Marling discography, Song of our daughter may be one of her most personal album. Constructed as an open letter about her family/child about growing up, she truly shines in the songwriting department. Very beautiful.

Sonically, this is the culmination of years of work, specially from Once I was an Eagle to Semper Femina. The ... read more
MusicN
Luvleh little album. My Mum loves this too... So that's nice.
For those who appreciated and enjoyed the sounds of Weyes Blood on her last album, Titanic Rising, this album strikes a similar chord from the perspective of a brilliant female singer-songwriter who has a mystical tone about her voice. However, Song For Our Daughter strikes an entirely different tone instrumentally and aesthetically. Where Weyes Blood, took her songs and made them gigantic and outlandish, Laura Marling hones in her sound and keeps the spotlight on the concept, one of which is ... read more
laz456
Grateful Fantano got me to revisit this. It's great!
Sebest
This reminds me a lot of 70's Joni Mitchell and I love it
BonoLightier
This may sound like another Laura Marling album; however, after hearing this one, you'll think: "thank God this is another Laura Marling album".
JohnLouisHoward
consistency thy name is Laura Marling. you get the impression that she could just roll out of bed and write a world-class song. we all know it is harder than that but her output is so dependable and of such high quality that it gives the sense of happening easily and naturally. and that's the strength of her songs, the ease and natural flow, establishing a specific intention. she's more of a scene-setter than a story-teller, and the vignettes presented here don't markedly differ much from her ... read more
Great

Didn’t get around to rating this until now because I was interrupted on my original listen, but I can gladly say that this record is very worth my time. These tracks thrive on simplicity in sound, yet complexity in the feelings that it represents. “Song for our Daughter” captures the archaic and detailed human experience we are all going through, and I’m excited to be along for the ride.

Color: Blue
FAV TRACKS: Alexandra, The End Of the Affair, Blow by Blow, Hope ... read more
snowman
7/10
Song for our Daughter is a sober and extremely personal listen. While the instrumentation won’t exactly blow you away, it feels so familiar when paired with Laura Marling’s stunning angelic vocals.
Admittedly, the opener put me off at first but the depth and desire to listen closely grew with every track. The first half is a bit more energetic and I get vibes of Bob Dylan & Stealers Wheel. The second half is where things get really intimate and start to sound a bit like ... read more
Like a warm blanket or a cup of tea in a summer's day, this new release from singer-songwriter Laura Marling is a graceful return to a form for which she was known in, measured yet cohesive works of nuanced sensibility and lyricism highly admirable and treasured. A relaxing work befitting for a breezy Friday afternoon.
"Song for Our Daughter" is a relatively unambitious but beautiful folk record. Laura Marling is terrific here, with amazing, mature writing throughout and lovely vocals on top of simple-but-effective instrumentation and great melodies (especially in "The End of the Affair").

Fav Tracks: Song for Our Daughter, The End of the Affair, Held Down, For You, Strange Girl, Alexandra

Least Fav Track: Hope We Meet Again

Score:
8.6
Exceptional
MikeOwen
An absolutely gorgeous singer-songwriter album. As my introduction to the work of Laura Marling, it makes me interested in listening to more of her work.
se101
I keep bumping up my rating for this album. It gets exponentially better with each listen. But I promise I'm stopping here. Still, amazing record.
This is the most serene yet powerful album I’ve heard in 2020. It’s heartbreaking and beautiful in one breath, achieving a kind of effortless intimacy that I look for in music like this. When it comes to conveying the whirlwind of emotions she’s going through, Laura Marling doesn’t go for the throat so much as she just sits you down for a tearful heart-to-heart. You’ll both go to some very real, very uncomfortable depths, but at the end, you’re able to hug it ... read more
ActuallyIan
Is a lot of it shameless Bob Dylan worship? Maybe. But that doesn't change how incredible Laura Marling's songwriting ability is.

Favorite tracks: For You, Strang Girl, Alexandra, Held Down, Song for Our Daughter, Fortune, Blow By Blow
Least favorite: The End of the Affair
Laura Marling's newest project is a pretty singer-songwriter album with powerful lyrics and a great vocal delivery. However, it's not great. It's a really unambitious project, something I believe we don't need in today's music. We need music that opens new doors and develops interesting soundscapes. While this is a good project with, again, overall great elements, it falls short on innovation and experimentation due to the constant stripped-back sound. With a voice this pretty, and such good ... read more
Even though the instrumentals are usually simple, the lyrics and themes on Song For Our Daughter are detailed and personal. The vocal melodies and performances are beautiful and compliment the instrumentals. Some of the songs do sound a little too similar to each other sometimes, specifically the title track, which I think would have been much better if the instrumental backed up the lyrics more.
Favorite Songs: Held Down, Strange Girl, Only The Strong, Blow By Blow, Fortune, Hope We Meet ... read more
theMitsu
Through high and lows, Song For Our Daughter is indeed a quality record crafted originally and beautifully.
I personally liked how the album was generally fluid and easy to listen, especially during the first part of the record, but there are some songs that don't really shine compared to the others and tend to give some sense of monotony throughout them.

Favorite songs: Alexandra, Held Down, Strange Girl, Only the Strong, For You
Least faves: Hope We Meet Again, Fortune
amygoodall
good
Maygirl
Really beautiful sweet and concise album that’s overall warm and fuzzy, and hard not to love. It will reel in a lot of emotions but doesn’t knock you to the floor with them. Admittedly this album probably doesn’t do what it did for a lot of other fans, but I can still really appreciate it for what it’s worth, a really pleasant experience.
JeremiahMurphy
This is a really dope album. This was actually the first time I’ve heard of Laura and damn did she make me intrigued to check out her disco/dive in. The songwriting on here is packed with imagery and the instrumentals are an amazing foundation for her vocals & songwriting. Yeah , wow.
YessYessYessYes
Laura Marling’s newest record “Song for our Daughter” is one of the most touching and delightful records I’ve heard in a while.

Song for our Daughter is about many things: motherhood, family, loss. The main thing that the record is about is love being strength. There are so many albums about love that it almost feels as though you can’t escape the message that Hollywood shoves down your throat.

Song for our Daughter is much different for it is such a personal ... read more
strangegeyser
Maternal lineage is a theme running through the core of Marling’s seventh record, offering a sacred warmth that is both contemplative and soothing. The tracks are sonically subtle in their folk roots, yet lyrically they are acute in their subject matter; a collection of songs written to a hypothetical daughter, constructed from Laura’s own insight as a woman to inspire a generation of younger women, including that of her hypothetical daughter.
peachyibby
Her vocals are so rich and had me completely absorbed. The production here was well done.

Favorites: Alexandra, Songs For Our Daughter, For You