The Weeknd - House of Balloons
House of Balloons
Literally Lana Del Rey for straight men
amygoodall
I DON'T CARE! I DON'T CARE! I DON'T CARE!
TopiK
Has anyone watched fantanos review.... It's NOT GOOD.

Favorite Tracks: High For This, What You Need, House Of Balloons / Glass Table Girls
The Morning, Wicked Games, The Party & The After Party, The Knowing

Worst Track: Loft Music
snarekickblues
As dark as a drug-fueled, pulsating house party
Dark, depraved and disturbing yet intensely provocative. I think it's safe to say that Abel changed the RnB game forever.
PreeMo
As a former Weeknd-hater: Yes, I really played myself...
Great

“House of Balloons” is an outstanding-sounding debut from The Weeknd, fueled with constant reverb, and the never-ending thoughts of a sad and alone partygoer.

Color: Blue
FAV TRACKS: House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls, The Morning, Wicked Games, High for This, The Party and The After Party, What You Need, The Knowing
LEAST FAV: Coming Down, Loft Music
Wait...
IvoBraga
Best TheWeeknd mixtape come fight me
It's a shame he will never top this.
itscase
Fantano’s worst review in my opinion. A mixtape that changed R&B and influenced so many things that followed. Amazing production and great songs overall.

Fav Tracks: High For This, HOB/GTG, The Morning, Wicked Games, The Party & The After Party, Loft Music, Twenty Eight

Least Fav Tracks: nothing
frienderman
Music to drown the depravity of the party, and of life itself.
nnxsgny
a completely different artist than who he is today. i had not listened to this until the decade was almost over, and it's a shame i wasn't listening to such a perfect song like "the morning" for the entire decade.
BruhMan
Lmao Pitchfork thought he was a group.

1. High For This: 8 ✔️
7. Coming Down: 8 ✔️
8. Loft Music: 8 ✔️
9. The Knowing: 6 ❌
10. Twenty Eight: 8 ✔️
Yeah, Fantano is kinda right about this. I don't hate it, it's just really overproduced.
TheDankestMeme
A dark and depraved masterpiece.

BEST TRACKS: House Of Balloons / Glass Table Girls, The Morning, Wicked Games, The Party & The After Party, Coming Down

WORST TRACKS: What You Need
notbuzzzila
Don't get the hype
papadave
Abel's best project so far has aged like fine wine, and this will most likely remain as his best work. (Or, at least, my favorite) Brilliant sampling here, particularly on "The Party & The After Party".

Favorite Tracks:
The Party & The After Party, Loft Music, House of Balloons/Glass Table Girls, and The Morning
Rafael
Yeah, we get Abel that you’re a fucking angel. He was mostly on his dream pop for the whole trilogy but this is where he mainly shows is and it’s pays off for him
Claytastic
House of Balloons is an album full of bombastic party bangers (House of Balloons/Glass Table Girls, Loft Music) and gorgeous hangover tunes (The Morning, Coming Down). The Weeknd rides every beautifully produced instrumental with one of the best voices in R&B, and each track pens a fascinating love story unlike any other in music. This story only grows more interesting in the rest of his trilogy of mixtapes that got him noticed. From that and their musical quality, it's pretty easy to see ... read more
yoshy
I came back to this album a day after listening and, the darker themes definitely got to me a lot harder than they did the first time.
rap_c3ntral
House of Balloons does an excellent job as a debut effort. The hunger is shown through Abel’s aggression in proving his vocal ability, as well as setting a unique atmosphere.

Quicky, he manages to immerse the listener in a world of sex and drugs, and it is an impactful ride. The album lacks major lows, and the menacing, dramatic production style only adds to the relatability of struggles with fame.

If Abel pushed to widen his style and not be so repetitive (both lyrically and ... read more
Moody, raw, emotional. Everything an R&B album should be. House of Ballons is one of the greatest debuts of any artist that I have ever heard and it will probably go down as one of the best mixtapes of all time.

Best Tracks: Everything

Worst Tracks: None
FleetwoodGrips
Yes, I think this is The Weeknd's magnum opus. Yes it's better than Echos of Silence. Fight me.

In all seriousness, I see this is Abel's greatest body of work. Merging elements of EDM with a much more darker take on contemporary RnB, Abel manages to craft a set of unforgettable, dark, enchanting and incredibly flavorful set of alternative RnB tracks carrying themes of depression, loneliness, romance and drug use.

Faves: High For This, What You Need, House Of Balloons / Glass Table Girls, ... read more
Saucelord777
Fuck mbdtf, Fantano’s worst review is for this album.

Still love melon.

Also this is in my opinion the ideal r&b album for a doomer. Wicked Games is the song you listen at midnight contemplating your existence.
Z.Younk
Copy + Paste the whole tracklist for his 'best of' or the real ogs
GabrielDiablo
Excellent
Geeza
One of the best R&B projects of the decade.
Fav Tracks: House Of Balloons/ Glass Table, The Party & The After Party, The Knowing
Worst Track: Coming Down
Coming Down - 6.8/10
Loft Music - 7/10
The Knowing - 6.8/10
Jack
very very very solid. some songs are meh and a little drawn out and some are just absolutely perfect
notanalt
AHHHH PLEASE HELP I'M DROWNING IN BALLOONS AHHH OH GOD OH MY GOOO
this was the project that made me love the weeknd, it's simply a work of art
the production, aesthetics, lyrics, vocals... EVERYTHING IS TOP NOTCH!

GOD LEVEL TRACKS: house of balloons / glass table girls; the morning; the party & the after party
EXCELLENT TRACKS: the rest
OpiesFuneral
EDIT: I'm gonna keep my original review below but HOLY SHIT this thing grew on me a lot. I just love the dark, druggy, hedonistic atmosphere this mixtape creates. I honestly can't believe I used to hate this damn near modern masterpiece.

lmao april fools this mixtape is still boring as shit, real review below:

I feel like I could only enjoy this if I was straight, addicted to Xanax, and had a really hot girlfriend to have slow, boring sex with.

But in all seriousness I just don't see the ... read more
MinatoArisato
The first in The Weeknds break-out trilogy of mixtapes, House of Balloons is a dark and moody R'n'B record. The lyrics can be kind of mediocre but the production is all around good and the vocal work is catchy and well sung. This is a record that is perfect for any dimly lit and alcohol fueled house party.

Best Track: The Morning
Worst Track: Coming Down
PNGLIFT
I'm bummed out that this record isn't as tight or groundbreaking as I wanted it to be. House Of Balloons is constantly shrouded in gloom, gradually forming a solidifying atmosphere. Insubstantial, yet passionate sexual themes linger throughout the entire record, but damn some lines on here standout as unbearably filthy at times.

Lots of great to decent tracks in here, but the real, glimmering spotlight undoubtdely shines on House Of Balloons / Glass Tables & Wicked Games. Abel flips his ... read more
ryanreviews
One of the most influential records to come out this decade in the dark moody R&B scene. Abel owned 2011.
TheBestBork
How can people call this his best project with such shit mixing and lyrics

There’s still some highlights here, but nothing really WOWED me outside of the closer. the lows are really fucking low too

Best Tracks: House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls, Wicked Games, The Party & The After Party, The Knowing

Worst Tracks: What You Need, Loft Music
YungNoodle
i used to think abel was overrated...
dyelir
Toronto's nocturnal bend on pop music left its mark on 2011 and the kingpins of the sound were The Weeknd and Drake. Drake's Take Care and House of Balloons seem to function as companion pieces as they still stand as the best full-length releases either artist has released. House of Balloons displays a dark, atmospheric form of r&b that brings out the worst of The Weeknd but has left a positive lasting influence on the pop world at large since its release.
CxAylward
that cloudy hazy goodness cut deeply by Abel's cries and moans. good fucking shit
DefSky
9. The Knowing | 8/10
10. Twenty Eight (Bonus) | 10/10

Final score: 8/10
Jolanmersseman
Seriously, have you ever hears a voice so bold, yet so fragile? Abel created a stunning record with zero skips and a heavy, pressuring and mysterious atmosphere. It's a timeless work of art, you can't hate on this. Unique as well.
R&B del futuro
TriturateSupawn
ok this guy definitely has sex for sure
ka1
my fav r&b album tied with Malibu and Blonde
MJT
A sonically psychedelic pop/rnb project mixed with beautiful synths and vocals. The Weeknd’s drug and passion infused project proves to be some of the best music of the decade.

Favourite Tracks - High For This, What You Need, House Of Balloons/Glass Table Girls, The Morning, Wicked Games, The Party & The After Party, Coming Down, The Knowing, Twenty Eight

Worst Tracks - N/A
CRJPopGod
Still love some songs, just not as before, some lyrics are so cringy and eye-rolling, it's hard to pretend they're not there nowadays, when i was a big Weeknd fan they didn't mattered at all, i was satisfied with some moaning layered on a spacious R&B beat, but today paying attetion to these lyrics some of them are so bad
HoodieBraden
All of the best songs from Trilogy....on one mixtape.
deags
The Weekend's best.

Standouts: The Morning, Wicked Games
Favourites: The rest of the album (seriously, it's good)

Tame Impala - The Slow Rush