Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Bon Iver, Bon Iver
JFulfy
Every single song is a masterpiece and unique. Justin Vernon's voice is so unique and so defined. I always come back to this album because it is the best when it comes to albums as a whole. Every song has a story also that YOU as the listener can create. You take what you are hearing, and make it your own. The best ones for me is Wash, Halocene, and Towers.
AmericaanSpirit
Utterly brilliant at times, gorgeously soft at others. Outside of the one or two low points in creativity this record has, it's closer to indie folk perfection than most artists have achieved.

BEST TRACKS: Michicant, Wash, Perth, Towers, Holocene, Minnesota WI
siberianbreaks
Same problem for me with the first album. Fantastic songwriting, but lackluster instrumentation.

Favourite tracks: Holocene, Perth, Towers
InModeration
Not sure how often I would listen to this again, but it's hard to deny how intricately produced and written this album is. Justin Vernon has a good sense for how to manipulate emotion through instrumental tones and atmosphere.

Lyrics & Themes: 8/10
Performance: 7/10
Arrangement: 7/10
Sonic Palette: 8/10
Justin Vernon fucks me up so right
ryansliao
This album is as intricate as it is a drag to listen to. When I heard this for this first time, I was very impressed with the composition and the wealth of instrumentation. But I can't listen to this album all the way through. However, there are quite a few great tracks here.

Best Tracks: Perth, Holocene, Towers, Beth/Rest
Worst Tracks: Wash.
SebastianWolf
Much like his first, the sophomore album from Bon Iver is a good but not great listen. Although it reaches some phenomenal highs (especially when the vocals are switched up), it isn't interesting enough all the way through. It sounds great even if it offers too little diversity in sound to REALLY work for me.

Favourites: Minnesota, WI (best) // Calgary // Perth
Pamford45
God, this is fucking beautiful. This album feels like I'm around a campfire in the middle of the forest while the sun sets up, enjoying the freedom of being in the wild. I'm rating this a 9 for now but damn, this might be a 10...

EDIT (100): Yeah, it is.
EDIT 2 (95): Ok, maybe not
thomasuic
Favorite Bon Iver Record.
Angstyout
One of the greatest albums i have ever had the pleasure of listening to. its not just music, its an emotional journey.

Bon iver was able to catch on something here very profound to the human experience. The soundtrack to life.
BonoLightier
This may sound pretentious, but "Bon Iver, Bon Iver" helped shaping my music taste when I was in high school.
this gave me an entirely new perspective on indie music and music as a whole. every song is unique and has a special feel to it that gave me goosebumps. the different instruments helped differentiate the sound, and the soft spoken lyrics reminded me of a sufjan stevens kind of vibe. the first 3 songs were an incredible start, and as most of them were slow, it was worth the wait to hear that masterpiece that is Beth / Rest.

fav tracks: beth/rest, perth, holocene
Tielur
It's nothing people make it out to be, but it has it's moments.
albertool
Bon Iver comes back with beautiful instrumentation and lovely vocals. This album gave me goosebumps.
Favorite Tracks: Holocene, Perth, Minnesota, Towers, Wash, Calgary, Michicant
Least Favorite: Lisbon
holsgr
☆☆☆ ~ Great and respectable work. Even though the whole project doesn't manages the virtuosity and versatility as a majestic album effectively does, the overall feeling was succesfully positive on me.
devmo03
Very good album, Justin Vernon sounds great as usual, and Perth is my all-time favorite Bon Iver track.
MinatoArisato
After the success of For Emma it was hard to imagine how Bon Iver would follow what is arguably one of the most iconic indie albums of all time and yet he somehow still managed. On his self-titled album Justin Vernon takes on a much warmer tone, it feels like the cold and the snow that encapsulated For Emma has now begun to defrost, it's not quite all, it's still freezing and there are layers of white everywhere but the sun is brightly shining on a new day causing the snow to glisten as this ... read more
nickfleece
This album is just missing something. The sonic palette leaves much to be desired, as nothing sounds quite full enough. This doesn't seem like a choice though, it plays out more like a failure. There's some solid songs and great lyricism here though. Perth is a really cool song and it's at least pleasant when it's on.

Not bad
Glorious album from a truly captivating artist.
zels
Masterpiece
Didn’t expect them to make this one better than their last record so this was a pleasant surprise.

Fav track: Michicant

Least fav track: Lisbon, OH
goodboiloic
This is, on all accounts, a perfect album
A wonderfully pleasant album with Vernon at the helm, who holds one of the most beautiful and introspective sounding voice within the genre.

Favorite track: Holocene
MacPhisto
Preciosista y poético. Vernon y su banda abogan por dejar atrás el sonido intimista de "For Emma, Forever Ago" y avanzan hacia un sonido mucho más ambicioso y orquestral. Muy buen álbum.
mviecurt
One of the most consistent indie folk albums ever. Almost every track is fantastic, with the exception of a few "meh" ones. This second outing from Bon Iver is larger in scale, more grandiose, and plays with more bells and whistles than their previous album. The result is a magical and transporting album in which the band succeeds with flying colors, upping the ante yet still evoking the same intimate feel from "For Emma".

Favorite tracks: Perth, Minnesota WI, Holocene, ... read more
808thDimension
Beautiful³

faves: Perth, Minnesota WI, Holocene, Towers, Hinnom TX, Calgary, Beth/Rest
amw100
Adding more instrumental satisfaction but losing a bit of the personality since Bon Iver's debut. This is a growing album that i enjoyed but didn't feel for as much as For Emma, Forever Ago.
ChannelBlonde
Favorite Tracks:
Holocene
Calgary
Muhammad231299
The producton is beautiful, the cover art is beautiful, and the way Justin singing into every tracks on this album is beautiful. This maybe one of the most beautiful album of all time, the opening track is perfect (Perth) and the closing track is also perfect (Beth/Rest)

But the only issue of this album is just track 'Hinnom, TX' , it's just a mess song that doesn't sound like even a song in my opinion, if they take itu out from the album it will be a perfect album for me.
StephenWojtila
A modern, folk classic in every way possible
Sappy
Top Favorite: Wash.
Other Favorites: Holocene, Beth/Rest, Perth
Least Favorite: Lisbon, OH
Sonic perfection and a beautiful example of how instrumentation can perfectly reflect and collaborate with the theme of a track/album to produce a near perfect piece. All I can really say about the lyrical writing is that Justin's fragmented and abstract style doesn't let on how deep of an album this is.
bitterblossom12
Modern masterpiece. One of the most beautiful records I've ever heard. Listened to it about 500 times, know less than 10% of the lyrics, doesn't matter.
Felindie
Fav Tracks: Towers, Calgary, Beth/Rest, Perth
Gorgeous album. On some level this isn't so removed from the pure folk music of his debut, but Bon Iver subtly expands his sonic offerings, creating a surprisingly ambitious album that erases any concerns about falling short of "For Emma." "Holocene" should go down as an indie classic.
CxAylward
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
theRoids
I don't usually listen to this kind of folk music stuff, but this was pure magic. I've barely been this moved by music before. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Best Songs: Perth, Minnesota WI, Holocene, Michicant, Wash., Beth/Rest

Worst Songs: Hinnom TX
Errandboy
This easily is one of the most hyped up records of this decade. I went into this thing expecting something wonderful, but left feeling sort of cheated. It starts off with three very solid opening tracks, with Perth and Holocene being possibly the two best cuts off the record, both of which are stunning, but all that follows is just mediocrity. If you go into this with little to no expectations, maybe you'll like it more than I did.
It's really good. Probably slightly worse than their debut but still there's gigantic consistence.
MarkCooper
Favorite Tracks: Holocene, Wash, Michicant, Beth/Rest, Hinnom
chessmess
"Bon Iver, Bon Iver", seems to fix the issue of boring and monotonous instrumentation that festered Bon Iver's previous record. Indie rock elements are brought in to shake up the experience, however, the trademark guitar fingerplay and strumming has returned once again simple as always. The production is still not very intricate, but stands as a substantial improvement over For Emma, Forever Ago.

Also, Bon Iver's voice gets really tiring to listen to after a while.
LordElros
Justin Vernon seems to be more consumed with capturing an emotion rather than simply engineering a list of songs and then packaging them up as a single album. Each song can easily stand on it's own but the experience is much more elevated when the album is listened to from start to finish.

The album is a rolling landscape of varying tones and textures where each new listen is a new exploration. It is a masterpiece from start to finish.
Justin Vernon reinforces his organic sound to build more gut wrenching words upon.
The music itself is quite good hence the 70/100.
thelesliesaga
This was my favorite album of 2011. It's been on my regular rotation since then.

Lil Dicky - Earth