Tobias Jesso Jr. - Goon
lerkenfeldt
I still remember stumbling across Tobias Jesso Jr. on soundcloud a little over a year ago now, and i immediately thought that this was something special, and it turns out i was right. I think the thing i like most about this record, other than the music itself, is how "timeless" it feels. This album would have worked just as well in 1971 as it does now in 2015, and to me, the ability to make music that manages to transcend and go beyond the era in witch it is made, is what it is all ... read more
Mvrderface
Randy Newman here.
Caffro
A charming debut from Jesso Jr. He's got a knack for songwriting! These tracks are sung very passionately, Tobias's vocals are front and center and the production is clear and crisp!

Some really stand out moments on this album including Hollywood (my personal favorite track on the album), Without You, Just A Dream and Leaving LA. What makes this album special are the story-like lyrics and a lot of personality. Jesso Jr. is a talent to watch!
Tobias ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
"Goon" hardly sounds like a record you'd expect anyone to be making (or listening to) in 2015, and that's definitely a big part of its charm; Randy Newman's name gets thrown around a lot here, but I hear as much Billy Joel. The bravery and commitment to that sound is commendable, but Jesso is so closely indebted to these styles that it sounds a lot more pastiche than it does timeless. As a result, the novelty wears off by the end of the album despite perfectly consistent songwriting ... read more
tha138
Vintage ballads, straight from the 70's and haunted by Lennon's spirit and Newman's pen.
kcotte
un álbum mágico e íntimo, delicado y preciso, lean mi reseña en http://ganymedemyth.com/sin-categoria/tobias-jesso-jr-un-grato-descubrimiento/
JediMark
Picks: How Could You Babe / Without You / Hollywood / Crocodile Tears / Just a Dream
EMR
Sweet, beautiful and friendly, Goon is certainly a nice surprise for a debut. Here, Jesso writes catchy and soft piano tunes that, despite their sweetness, sound very familiar, and by remembering pop greats like Elton John and Phil Collins, one can see that this music has been done before, and with better results, but it is also clear that this record has youth and freshness value inside too, making things interesting in some important moments. His fragility and youth seem to flow out of his ... read more
PSHANDY
ไบˆๆƒณใ—ใฆใ„ใŸไปฅไธŠใซ็ ”็ฃจใ•ใ‚Œใ™ใŽใฆใ„ใฆๅ€‹ไบบ็š„ใซใฏใ€Œใ†ใƒผใ‚“ใ€ใ€‚ใ—ใ‹ใ—ใƒ‡ใƒ“ใƒฅใƒผไฝœใซใ—ใฆใ“ใฎๅฎŒๆˆๅบฆใฏๅ†ท้™ใซ่€ƒใˆใ‚Œใฐใ‚„ใฏใ‚Šๅ‡„ใ„ใ€‚
raymon
Yes this album is very simple but Jesso's charm simply takes me away. This is a collection of 12 beautiful songs about heartbreak and the fear of failure. I absolutely was stunned by Hollywood and one of personal faves is Just A Dream. Ultimately, you will love this album if you are trying to find some old school good music like Elton John or Billy Joel.
danpatt
If you yearn for the ballads of the olden days then Goon is your food. Very ornate and gorgeous sounding, if not somewhat unambitious. Still a great listen.
SeenYourVideo
Listening to Goon is like hearing the unreleased third disc of The Beatles' White Album.

Killer Tracks: Can't Stop Thinking About You, How Could You Be, Can We Still Be Friends, The Wait, Just A Dream, Leaving LA.
Ivoryghost
Must surely win the award for most critically overrated album of 2015.
doctorchair
i forgot how much i've missed ballads. feels like high school.
SherlockMHolmes
Love you, Pitchfork, but this is NOT BNM
siberianbreaks
He wears the influences of Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, and Randy Newman all throughout this album, yet the album suffers from being bland most of the time. I also feel that this guy truly lacks any identity. What sets him apart from other singer/songwriters really? I did enjoy some of the heartfelt songs on here at least.

Favourite tracks: Without You, The Wait, Just a Dream
Daredevil
Magnifique ! Sous ses airs de déjà entendu et de son coté facile d'apparence, c'est juste tout le contraire...! Beau, précis, constant sur l'intégralité de l'opus, j'adore...
Refreshing, classic songwriting. Emotionally open without falling into cliches or reducing itself to systematic love songs.

Highlights include: "Can We Still Be Friends", "The Wait", "Hollywood"
FG
It has a sound of heard it somewhere before but who cares when it is so good.
Songwriting at its finest.
Makes me want to fall in love again only to get dumped and put this on repeat...
steviedub
Near perfect vocalization and composition that is reminiscent of Paul McCartney and even Harry Nilsson. "Goon" is an album of beautifully crafted standards and terrific writing.
Jesso shows such finesse and potential with this album. It's familiar, light hearted but meaningful and more than slightly surprising this is only his first album. The progression throughout the tracks is exact and keeps a listener's attention despite the slower pace.
zeldox
Being enchanted by Nick Drake, John Lennon and Damien Rice, I couldn't help myself to dive into Tobias Jesso's world. And it is a worthwhile diving indeed. He is definitely out of our times, probably also misplaced (northern England could be more appropriate...). Pure pleasure of listening.

Lizzo - Cuz I Love You