Jean Dawson - PIXEL BATH

PIXEL BATH

First of all, what an amazing album cover!! Second, it's good! Third, rock vibes with rap = big mood!, Fourth, Jean Dawson spits hella bars!!, Fifth, is so fun!!!! Sixth, '06 Burst' is the best track!!!!
I really don’t wanna seem like the old man who ruins everyone’s fun, but I really couldn’t get into this record. I mean, there’s a lot of potential here, but I feel like Jean fails to capitalize on a lot of that potential. However, I will start off with the things I like. The one department in which this record consistently excels in is the instrumentals. The vast majority of these instrumentals feel like hip hop instrumentals fused with pop-rock and indie pop, though ... read more
Mixtape
Really underrated!!

This album just came of by accident and i loved the first song right off the bat so so gave it a chance and was really surprised how much fun this album was!

tracks ranked:
11. Starface
12. 06 Burst
13. Poster Child
NewGodGabz
This Indie Pop Rap wave that has appeared lately is already aging very badly for me, I can't stand it anymore. Those are the lowest points on the album.

As standing in opposition, we have the more experimental parts and the pop punk hooks that together give a balance, making the album much more interesting. It is a roller coaster where the high points are a lot of fun and the lower ones very annoying.

Still worth listening to.
LetalShertly
Got bored after the first song. There is nothing new or interesting that comes off this album that changes or defines the genre.
gopxity
My guy just went 13 for 13. I knew I was going to enjoy based off of all the singles but man he has so much talent. I'm gonna be playing this A LOT. Also, that cover art is so crispy. Every track is filled with so much emotion. wow wow wow.

Favorite tracks: Devilish, Triple Double, Shiner, Dummy, Bruiseboy, Pegasus, 06 Burst, Starface*, Policia, Clear Bones, Power Freaks
Least favorite:
There’s a lot of potential shown and a lot of what’s on here is good, but it doesn’t feel fully fleshed out a lot of the time. The fusion of genres and styles on here is interesting, but there are just too many moments when the result feels a little underdeveloped.

Fav Tracks: Triple Double, Shiner, Dummy, Bruiseboy, Starface*, Policia, Clear Bones

Least Fav Tracks: Poster Child
MRusso98
It's been months since the last time I said "WOAH" listening to an album for the first time at nearly EVERY FUCKING TRACK. My god, I expect to hear this one a lot in the next days, but for now i'm just impressed.

FAVORITE TRACK: 06 Burst
itsyahboinoah
Black Björk, my Lord, I'm a little left
TheQuebecGuy
Man, I can’t even describe how excited I was to listen to this album. Jean Dawson has clearly been one of my favorite artists, if not my favorite for the last few months.

It’s very hard to categorize his music, but if I had to do it, I’d say it’s emo alternative pop punk rap. So many genres are mixed all together to form a fantastic and unique record. Almost everything about this is great. Energetic performances along with in your face vocals, amazing instrumentals and ... read more
ayojay11
this album is so beautiful I cant wait to hear more from Jean Dawson
Raiksheen
Good
JayCrackers
I see a lot of potential in Jean Dawson, the production here is great, the instrumentals are stand out and combined create a nice futuristic soundscape. Jean Dawson knows how to utilize his vocals effectively. However, i feel that he leans to much on his influences and although this is an adventurous record it doesn't necessary push anything further but I hope in the future he develops his own sound more.

Track Review

Devilish 7.5/10.
Triple Double 7/10
Shiner 6/10
Dummy 6.5/10
Bruiseboy ... read more
sad_ghost_fox
a really fun album with few low points. just a super fun indie pop album.
Yeatzy
After relistening I don't know why I love this album so much. Jean Dawson has resparked my indie phase I had back in mid 2018 and I can't thank him enough. Every track on here is an enjoyable experience and since the first time I reviewed this project I haven't stopped listening. With zero exaggeration, I have listened to AT LEAST one song off this a day. This album makes me feel like I am waking up for a 2010 coming of age teen movie while also taking acid.

Previous Rating: 87
Korzaski
this dude is really on another level of creativity. his music is so fucking cool. this album for the most part is a big positive for me. although i will say, a lot of the singles were remixed for the album, and i'm not super into most of them as much as i was the original mixes. now, i probably won't care in due time, but just now that it's fresh it is a little weird. the only remix that doesn't super bug me is power freaks. but still, every song on this album either bangs super hard or comes ... read more
Quet
Jean Dawson's sophomore effort is an ambitious one, but is put together in a way that makes 40 minutes feel like 140.
ecenb
I've always loved giving a chance to mixes of music genres. Trying a mix of indie pop and hip hop, this album was a little out of my style, but there were also songs I liked. I think the album is successful but I prefer to listen to my highlight songs instead of listening to the album again.

Fav Songs: Dummy, Bruiseboy, Policia
Houdanny
I love the choruses on this album, they’re just so beautifully produced and larger than life itself. I do find that the verses lack that same impact, but in general I found this to be a really great alternative pop album.

Standout: Bruiseboy
Favs: Dummy, Clear bones, Policia, Starface, Triple Double, Power freaks

Least fav: Pegasus
NTTR
Jean Dawson - Pixel Bath

Genre: Indie Pop
Country: US

Final Verdict: 55% (Pleasant Album)
Yearly Ranking: 833th / 1152

Highlight: Triple Double

Made me think of:
Beach Bunny
Benee
JPEGMAFIA
Blood Orange
stakes
A Very fun and exciting sophomore album. Jean Dawson starts and ends the album well, with quite unique, well-produced and written songs. However, somewhere along the middle, you get lost with the songs starting to blend together. Still though an all-together good album for Jean's discography. and a nice addition to the wall of trophies of 2020. (Best Tracks: Devilish, Shiner)
Bursting with energy and ideas but at times a little misguided, PIXEL BATH is definitely worth consideration. Dawson certainly wears his influences on his sleeve throughout the duration of this record, with elements of 90s indie rock and contemporary alternative hip-hop shining through the most. And for the most part, Jean never feels like he loses his voice, however a few tracks do sound like they were ripped straight from the last BROCKHAMPTON record. I definitely also enjoyed the second half ... read more
gaalmethon
FAVS: Devilish, Triple Double, Starface*, Policia, Clear Bones, Power Freaks
Hayden7575
Jean Dawson’s Pixel Bath is a fun blend of alt rock and indie pop, with a hip-hop flair sprinkled on top. The “indie-ness” coats every element of the record, but the overall marriage of sound is uniquely his own. No genre outshines the other, and there isn’t a moment where I wasn’t thoroughly enjoying myself. If he’s able to take this direction and truly expand beyond the boundaries of the sounds he’s pulling from, which he already shows signs of doing, ... read more
7rent
Jean Dawson, I heard first from the single "Clear Bones", and I didn't fully grasp what I was hearing at first. It was an other-worldly combination of indie rock, 90's brit-pop, shoegaze, electropop, and the more emo-side of hip hop. And when I realized there was an album to come with it, I only hoped to be introduced to more of the brilliant and fun clashes of styles that I heard prior.

I am so wonderfully excited to say that (although it took a few listens to fully develop how I ... read more

Lorde - Stoned At The Nail Salon