Kevin Morby - Sundowner
Sundowner
pressrg
The moment I heard Kevin's second single for this record—"Campfire"—with its moeity (marked by the hinge of Katie's eerie vocals), its rustic organ, and worn-in atmosphere, I knew I was in for something special. Sundowner, the singer-songwriter's sixth and best record, opens up new landscapes and affective resonances within Morby's signature sound: a freewheeling and exploratory approach that reanimates classic American mythologies and the fantasies they bear: how such ... read more
Dead Oceans really might be my favorite label in the music industry right now. Every year, they churn out around 5 really good indie and folk records and Kevin Morby’s 6th studio album is no exception. His wondrous storytelling ability and haunting voice are as present on here as theyve ever been. Love everything this giy has been doing over the last few years!
winitheju
Nice bounce back effort from Kevin after a pretty terrible album a few years ago
Just a one note downer, NR
Better than the last one.
dearsongs
Another one from Morby. I actually like OMG more than most so this covid creation was welcome to me. There is a hushed yet relaxed feel to Sundowner, with lyrics full of dreamlike imagery. Valley is a great opener and is also my favorite on here, but it also probably sounds the most like something he has done before. Not sure I'll ever enjoy any of his albums as much as I like Singing Saw, but I can appreciate that he continues to try and change his sound and focus with each new release.
Corey_Larkin
Kevin Morby continues his prolific run with the release of "Sundowner", an Americana soaked folk record that works to re-focus the energy of the songs less on the divine and more towards the paradoxical simplicity and complexity of every day life. Morby laments of the death of young friends as well as important figures in his life such as Richard Swift and Anthony Bourdain, contrasting the sullenness of the lyrical content with warm, rustic folk instrumentation. This new record is not ... read more
Kevin Morby on “Sundowner” reminds me of what attracted me to his music in the first place. It’s much more focused on his visual lyrics and passionate performances, which is where I love to hear him. It’s rustic, old school, and reminds me of a simpler time in these genres. However, fair warning, when this album is bad, it’s rough.

Give A Listen To: “Valley”, “Brother, Sister”, “Campfire”, “Wander”, “A ... read more
HCOP511
if i had to choose between this indie darling power couple, I'm team Waxahatchee.

plz Kevin, lets go back to the Singing Saw days.

Ariana Grande - positions