SAULT - Untitled (Rise)
Untitled (Rise)
JAZZYCHIEF
This album is on the verge of greatness, almost there bruv. Alot of these tracks fall short for me, it can get repetitive, but the material that is here is good, flesh out these songs more and we got some certified bangers on our hands.
Muratka
The second release of an unknown project in a year is beautiful in neo-soul. Oftentimes, UNTITLED (Rise) features great vocal samples, velvety vocals, gentle and elegant instrumentals.

#BestNewMusic, really.
wtf
If you are new to SAULT then you should start with this album. They perfected their sound and added more diversity to it. Their best one so far.

✅shit goes hard
FleetwoodGrips
Black rage. It's always been one of the biggest driving elements to the constant drive to protest every form of systemic racism. It's a rage that's the product of self-awareness of the reality of our standing as people in the face of the American Empire. It's a constant rage, one that erupts even within me every now and then. As put eloquently by the illustrious James Baldwin:

"To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a state of rage almost, almost all of ... read more
NibbyNibbyNub
Incredible improvements and diversity while still firmly within their comfort zone.
So, this album just became the highest rated album of the year (critic score), tied with Fiona Apple’s Fetch the Bolt Cutters so I was intrigued to check this out, to say the least. I was also really intrigued by the fact that I had never heard of SAULT prior to seeing this hit number 1 in the critic scores. After listening to this record, I’m still confused about who or what a SAULT is, and am also confused as to why this is the highest-rated album of the year.

However, I will ... read more
winitheju
This is the protest album I was kinda hoping we'd see this year. I'm not sure it's fair to call it that, because more than that it's an expression of self. It's amazing. Hope it is more widely reviewed. Excited to go back and listen to the rest of their stuff.
younghermit
What a powerful expression of self. A great way to feel for the "now" and see a side of this chaotic history filled with hate and pain.
It's definitely a thought provoker and a worthwhile listen for the Soul that it holds.
ActuallyIan
I will say this is an improvement over their last album. The mixing isn't as thin, and a lot of these instrumentals are genuinely emotive. I get a real sense of beauty out of some of these songs that just wasn't there on the last album. The issue is that, like that last album, this is incredibly inconsistent. A lot of the songs feel like filler, or even outtakes from the last album, and some of these instrumentals sound virtually identical. It just feels like yet another unfinished album, but ... read more
abductee
Wow this was so good. How is this not getting better user reviews on here? Well, I mean I know. Hearing how Sault keeps fleshing out the space they're in is so interesting. It feels a lot like Black Is but even more immediately, even more demanding. Little Boy had actually tears in my eyes.
FlavioAKARayman
at first i was like "this is fun", then it got to a point where it turned like "this is getting serious way too fast" and then those last few tracks wrecked me
orangedroog65
Wowza
TheRootBoy
Upon first listen, I was pleasantly impressed by all the details, flow of the music, and genre mixing. With each new listen I feel fuller and fuller. This is a protest album from a year that spawned so much outcry and influence into new music and SAULT doesn't seem to be letting up on this message. The album has many catchy cuts and for most tracks there's even a transition or two to add diversity and layers to them. There are also a few sections of interludes that add to the story and drama of ... read more
Brennnnnny
For every basic moment on this album it is made up for with beautiful vocals, colorful instrumentals and lush production. Though maybe not the most unique thing, it works damn well.
ZaBloo
"Why do you keep shooting us"... Whilst the music seems generally chill(ish) and happy(ish) once you start going into the lyrics you realize this album has a very good and strong message. Sonically it is an improvement on all the problems I had with Untitled (Black is) and in the end, this is truly some of the best new music and I'm glad to see it's getting stellar reviews and attention.
RustyDumptruck
Fantastic Neo-Soul album. Definitely my favorite of all of Sault's work so far.
braztom
Really good. Gonna have to listen a few more times... My rating may need to (rise)!

(see what I did there?)
ocrakraut
Standing on the shoulder of giants, this record reminds me so much of Tek9 adding vocals that, like so many projects these days address the situation in racist shithole-countries esp. the one ruled by the distractor in chief. Sounds like the music antifa dances to today
NTTR
Sault - Untitled (Rise)

Genre: Neo Soul
Country: UK

Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 275th / 812

Highlight: Street Fighter

Made me think of:
Thundercat
Childish Gambino
Moses Sumney
Michael Kiwanuka
musicphv
The type of sound I love. A good mood booster.
WolvesAreComing
The most BLM album ever produced? SAULT are British but have imported US culture wars to shift units. Black people sure are mad this year, with many good reasons, but I feel this type of album will seem overblown as soon as Trump is no longer the US President. When the leader of the free world no longer supports white supremacists there will still be problems, not least from the Nazis themselves, and black people will still be angry.

Honetsly, you get a far more nuanced view on race relations ... read more
Gaspurga87
Me alegro de haber descubierto este grupo. Destaco la seccion ritmica de los temas, el coro de voces femeninas y la apuesta por los sonidos de raices africanas.
caitofgoodhope
they've done it now. this is their most perfect release
Definitely one of the strongest albums of the year, all components blend into a curtain of sound. The protest theme to the album seems genuine without being washy. The drum breaks are especially hard hitting, providing a strong energy to the album as a whole.
GabrielDiablo