AOTY 2020
Phoebe Bridgers - Copycat Killer
Copycat Killer
Sagittarius
I still dont know who this is
TomBejoy
I honestly don't get why the community isn't that big on this? It's a genuinely beautiful set of 4 reworks that aren't groundbreaking but they signify a moment of change, a continental drift from her old sound?

Maybe, but Rob Moose (who has production credits for a variety of brilliant artists including Moses Sumney, Bon Iver, Laura Marling, Jay-Z, Sufjan Stevens, etc.) does a fantastic job with his layouts and sound design here.

However, my central gripe with "Copycat Killer" is ... read more
nicoperagine
Two things,,,

1. The violin is one of my favorite instruments.
2. Punisher is my album of the year.

Why wouldn't I like this?
Punisher is possibly my favorite album of the year, so hearing we would get orchestral versions had me excited. And while I obviously prefer the original versions, I admire the different take and aesthetic these versions give to the songs, even if they don’t always work and sound a bit awkward.

Fav Tracks: Kyoto, Chinese Satellite

Least Fav Tracks: Savior Complex
Punisher was one of my favorite albums of the year and this string-backed reimagining of several of the songs from that record is not something that I was expecting, but it is something I am welcoming with open arms!

I obviously heavily prefer the original renditions, but these still definitely hold their own.
JAZZYCHIEF
Punisher is currently my album of the year and I don't see that changing anytime soon, so when I heard that this EP was a thing I was obviously excited, but then I heard it and it wasn't the greatest. These songs resemble someone taking say for example a Jay-Z a capella and putting it over an MF Doom beat or something, it kinda works but it sounds awkward because those two things weren't meant to go together. Phoebe is singing these songs not as if shes performing the album versions but damn ... read more
Getoutdakitchen
After the critically and fan acclaimed "Punisher" Phoebe Bridgers is back with some very somber, orchestral and lovely renditions of the four songs from the LP, I admire these versions quite a bit, the way they grow from being quiet and subdued to being truly grandiose and beautiful. Overall, this EP is a very welcome addition to her release and a great little experience. I see how someone would see this as unnecessary, but these covers are very good in their own way.
Favourite ... read more
currentjoyys
FAVORITE TRACK: Savior Complex

LEAST FAVORITE TRACK: Chinese Satellite

So this EP is a rearrangement of songs off of Punisher. Copycat Killer is more theatric than the original songs it covers which is why this EP pales in comparison. As beautiful and breathtaking Bridgers and the instrumentals sound on this, a lot of the beauty of Punisher comes from the quiet and light moments of it because it's so vulnerable. That aspect is taken away on Copycat Killer. However, this EP can still stand on ... read more
Muratka
New versions of songs from her sensational peak album for her are in no way inferior to the original, and sometimes even better.
lilchefremy
Songs for staring into the abyss at 2 am
EdFruscley
Just as the original, but you know. I don't fucking know how she makes it. Is nothing special, but you listen this and fuck, I'm fucking impressed almost single time that I listened her. She's amazing even though her style is something that I love and hate at the same time
Slush_Puppy
Who thought these songs could get any more beautiful?
whyisaac
Some very pretty orchestral versions of a couple great tracks from Punisher.
Tielur
Phoebes voice alongside some very simple string arrangements continue my love for Punisher
ecenb
Phoebe's songs containing psychedelic folk feelings are recreated with orchestral melodies and a pleasant EP has come out. Although the album version is a bit better, this version can also be listened to over and over again.

Fav Songs: Kyoto, Savior Complex
WildChameleon
The difference is crazy just with a different instrumentation. Not bad but don't spend your time on it if you have already listened Punisher.
MichaelClark202
Rob Moose KILLED Chinese Satellite, whole EP is amazing. that is all
This is really nice.
Marowhacker
Not too sure why people seem to be disliking this one? It's a short & sweet selection of tracks from Punisher revitalised with string arrangements, and they sound great. I don't think they're as evocative as the original album's tracks and while it generally does fit Phoebe's voice occasionally feels a little out of place, but the core songs are still fantastic and the arrangements are pretty too.

FAVOURITE TRACKS: KYOTO, PUNISHER

Chinese Satellite: 7,5
Punisher: 8
Média Geral: 7,7
jackkd8
I like it but these don’t compare to the originals
weyesblood
although it’s still definitely not bad it doesn’t get anywhere near the song’s original versions. i didn’t really get the point of this EP, the melodies and instruments are interesting but the production doesn’t even sound good in many moments - phoebe voice feels dislocated and the songs don’t sound anything special.

i feel kinda disappointed phoebe but that’s ok this was probably just a promo strategy for punisher... r- right?
frncscbrqz
as a string player, I really appreciate this <3
and lowkey prefer this version of Chinese Satellite over the original !
thomasjward
nice😎

8.3/10
fav tracks: chinese satellite, punisher
least fav track: n/a
FrancisSky
Punisher is my album of the year so I was so hyped for this, and since I expected another perfect project I am just a little bit disappointed. Still loved it, it's beautiful.

Ichiko Aoba - アダンの風