Tribulation - Where The Gloom Becomes Sound
Where The Gloom Becomes Sound
leolucia
NOT INTERESTING
verniers
EDIT: have listened more, it's kinda more boring than it felt on first listen but still pretty good

yeah this is pretty damn good. it's inconsistent, but when it hits it hits.

fave tracks: leviathans; dirge of a dying soul; elementals; inanna; funeral pyre; the wilderness

least fave track: hour of the wolf
Brihongol
Thats a pretty likeable dose of sweet metal, but kinda boring.
their_nickname
The new Tribulation album carries on the band's trademark black and roll assault and it's dare I say...catchy? Despite some aggressive riffing and thrashy bits, the band certainly knows how to make it's frigid sonic structures tuneful. The combination of raspy vocal fry with gothic, death rock overlays still has not worn out it's welcome. While I would not say that this album is better than Down Below or The Children of the Night, I have to say Tribulation's unique Castlevaniacore sound is ... read more
FritoRio
If you get turned on by Corpses voice, wait until you hear this
Rob_StA
Top Tracks:
Hour of the Wolf
Funeral Pyre
SassyTabasco
I need to stop getting such a hard on when I see the genre tag "gothic metal". I'm not often subjected to an album in that genre that's like HORRIBLE, but this album is definitely the median. Just this kind of samey, 4 to the floor butt rock with black-ish metal vocals. Like watered down. Grey metal vocals. There's some tasty little guitar riffs here and there, but the reverberating snares and particular chord progressions are just so cheesy.
thevillageidiot
Tribulation is a rare act, awkwardly classified both as a black metal and rock 'n' roll band without ever quite embracing the straightforward black 'n' roll hybrid that Kvelertak has perfected. Much like the two albums that preceded it, Where the Gloom Becomes Sound sits comfortably within that contradiction while expanding on both gothic and arena rock influences -- 'cause why the hell not?

While it's a worthy exercise that (at least mildly) appeals to fans in nearly every corner of the heavy ... read more
IsaacM
I don't know what you guys are on, this is a blast!!
cosmonauts
Never been really into Metal or any of their sub genres but here i go (since it's interesting that this is the most critically acclaimed album this year so far)

Tribulation is a swedish heavy metal band formed in 2005. Since their debut album "The Horror" in 2009 they have released 4 more full length albums "The Formulas of Death" (2013), "The Children Of The Night" (2015), "Down Below" (2018) and "When The Gloom Become Sound" (2021)

#1. In ... read more
Best Tracks: In remembrance; Leviathans; Hour of the wolf; Dirge of a dying soul; lethe; The wilderness.
NTTR
Tribulation - Where the Gloom Becomes Sound

Genre: Gothic Metal
Country: Sweden

Final Verdict: 62% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 35th / 104

Highlight: Funeral Pyre

Made me think of:
Paradise Lost
Entombed
Illyria
On Thorns I Lay
While not as gloriously campy or cutthroat as some of their early releases, Tribulation continue to be nothing short of a breath of fresh air for modern Metal. Gothic Metal Funeral Dirge’s and some of the more emotionally potent material grace the majority of this album. I do think they’re still holding back on their masterpiece though.

Give A Listen To: “In Remembrance”, “Hour of the Wolf”, “Leviathans”, “Daughter of the Djinn”, ... read more
7rent
As the album progressed, I grew more comfortable and warm towards Tribulation's classical and operatic goth metal sound, and even the vocals didn't rub me as awkwardly as they did on first listen. I just came away from it mostly admiring the blend of styles this band went for, even if the beginning of the record was extremely weak in my opinion.

I do recommend this though, I think it might grow on me as the year goes on, but we shall see. <3

Favorite Tracks: Dirge of a Dying Soul, ... read more
xcomebackkid
Despite it's frostbitten vocal styles Tribulation has managed to make a very approachable fusion of black metal and heavy metal. Giving the Iron Maiden sound a nordic makeover with a dash of Aggaloch. Not sure it has any replay value
Previous was better but this one anyway are strong atmospheric metal album
Jax
It's alright, Definitely not as good as their last record. Dont really have much to say on it although I do like the whole afi with death vocals thing they have going on.
GREAT

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - CARNAGE
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
CARNAGE
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - L.W.
L.W.