Katy Kirby - Cool Dry Place
Cool Dry Place
Orlkont
Her voice is as clear as her intentions. This album does not pretend something that it's not. Chill, self-aware production and lyrics.
avernannes
★★★★★★★☆☆☆
7.2/10

A very delicate and charming collection of singer-songwriter tracks, that succeeds in being interesting and not overly "singer-songwirtery" as some albums of this kind tend to be. "Cool Dry Place" knows its place and serves a nice portion of sweet vocals and instrumentation in a serene, but captivating way.
Brobillard13
I like this one quite a bit. It’s a serotonin inducing well made indie pop record
weyesblood
were u trying to address me?
ThatOtherGuy
This refreshing debut doesn't offer anything special, but what makes it charming is that it doesn't try to. It's just Katy establishing what could be the sound that people will associate with her if she keeps doing what she does.
HeyLeo
"Kirby’s entire path seemed predestined to lead her here, on an album that fits perfectly as a debut for her. Recently, she showed disgust with the songs she had contact with when she was younger, calling Christian music empty, vacant, dated, and “digestible.” Thus, Cold Dry Place seems to bring together everything she learned from Christian music, or rather, everything she learned not to do. Her debut is simple, cozy like a cloudy afternoon in a warm apartment and ... read more
mrmerle
Katy Kirby's debut album "Cool Dry Place" is not a masterpiece but is still a well-executed record.

The production is really good. I would say that the first four songs are pretty great and sound exceptional.
The rest of the album is well-made although I wasn't as impressed with it as much as I was with the first four songs. Kirby's voice is also pretty cool to hear even if I've found the use of voice modification on "Traffic!" questionable.

There are good ideas in the ... read more
heavymetalbumma
This really reminded me of Waxahatchee
at some points and I'd recommend this to any fans of hers. The standout is probably "Traffic!" as it's really fun and a cute kind of unexpected. Not a ton here to chew on, but another breezy and harmless indie record.
humm1ng_b1rd
It seems like I’m creating a fixation for underground genre albums, and that’s not bad. Far from it! It’s pretty good. You know what else is pretty good? This album.
Katy Kirby released this Friday their debut album called 'Cool Dry Place', with only 9 tracks. And look, when an album has a few tracks, it has to be minimally cohesive and solid.
And 'Cool Dry Place' is not an exception, in fact, it is a good example for someone who is layman of such a subject. Katy deliver us ... read more
tcumms
ohhhhhhh yeah. this is it y'all
lennox
this is a very nice, sweet, and enjoyable debut album from Katy Kirby. My only real complaint is that it is pretty basic. Even the cover art basically screams indie. but other than that i definitely enjoyed this.
7rent
Charming singer-songwriter indie rock album with some solid tunes throughout; nothing too crazy, but definitely pleasant and maybe something for me to watch out for in the future.

Favorite Tracks: Traffic! , Tap Twice, Secret Language, Portals, Cool Dry Place

Least Favorite Track: Peppermint
jkbkowalski
Is this her debut album?! Damn, it sounds sooo mature
aleksandrrose
Nothing very special
IAmDaan
Katy Kirby's debut album "Cool Dry Place" seems to be something simple and pleasant, but at the same time complex and atmospheric, they give guitar solos to the sounds of synthesizer and drum rolls with the singer's natural-electronic voice, giving peace of mindalbeit for a short time
SassyTabasco
I'll admit, this album is probably better than I have the capacity to appreciate it. This particular style of indie folk is soooooo overdone that it's hard for me to get past its tropes long enough to see the forest for the trees. But for what it's worth, it's really well crafted, and catchy at that rate. The vocals are really pretty and clean, particularly on the title track. The guitar work on this is also pretty admirable. Great tone, creative yet tasteful effects.

I rate this "I liked ... read more
PigeonMontes
The more acoustic blends don’t wet my whistle as well as the spin she gives Pop conventions in the middle of the album. Peppermint is phenomenal.
LucasLannister
El tema que le da nombre al disco es realmente hermoso.
TruLad69
Fantastic debut.

This is pretty standard fare Alt Country/Indie Pop but the melodies/hooks/chorus’ are next level. Some really great guitar solo’s in here too. Bangin’.

Only negative would be that I find ‘Fireman’ quite an underwhelming closer considering how good damn great the title track is prior to it. Minor quibble tho.

Fav Track: Cool Dry Place
Least Fav Track: Fireman
ChaseSab
the way tap twice stops and goes and gradually builds while swooping the slide guitar in and out can be so personal
Tsareena
really gorjiss folk debut. I love the pop moments on this with the added electronic vocals and production at times and the great ear for melodies and hooks. Short, sweet and really easy to listen to.
Faves: Jupiter, Peppermint, Cool Dry Place
pedro00valente
A collection of small yet entertaining songs. Peppermint and Traffic! are must hear tracks. Traffic! kind of reminds me of an early era Vampire Weekend but more acoustic, and you can hear at times some Adrianne Lenker kind of vibes. Smooth LP.
Mohamedmahmoud
Katy Kirby - Cool Dry Place
Indie Folk / Alternative Rock
February 19, 2021

Her voice and musical instruments unite together that they form one entity, which made me eager to dig more into the album, the problem with the album is that some songs are underwhelming, needed more work to cope with other songs level.

7.5/10

Favourite Tracks :
Peppermint
Traffic!
Cool Dry Place
DinoPiranha
A really pleasant listen! It's not a grand statement, it's just a short but sweet collection of captivating songs.
Katy Kirby's debut isn't trying to reinvent the wheel but does a pretty solid job at rounding it out.

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - CARNAGE
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
CARNAGE
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - L.W.
L.W.